cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spark Plug Confusion ??

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we have a 2007 Winn with a gas 8.1L Vortec engine. I want to replace the spark plugs and wires. According to the manual I am to use AC Delco 41-983 plugs. Yet when I check NAPA, Advance and O'Reilly's, all 3 claim these do not fit and list others. Yet all 3 do carry them. Worse, one store lists one the fits that the other says does not, and vice versa.

Further, I check the Workhorse parts site, they say should be AC 41-101, yet none of the stores say that, yet do carry them. What a mess...

Should I heed the manual says and ignore the store fit claims?

Should I heed the Workhorse site even though the stores disagree, and does not match the manual?

Or should I heed the store's advice? Even then not sure how to pick which one? Plus do I use the gap out of the box or adjust?

Any inputs would be appreciated, maybe they do this so we won't try to change them ourselves, argh... :h
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
22 REPLIES 22

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
So you know for any engine there are at least TWO spark plugs that will work in that engine one is for like a Chevy Silverado in Red Neck grocery Getter/drive to work mode) (Light loads just carting mostly the family and a few hundred pounds cargo max) and one for "Work The Engine like it was designed to be worked ) (Example 26000 pounds of RV with towed in the mountains) They are called HOT and COLD plugs. and there may even be a medium plug.

This is why you keep getting multi-hits.

It matters if the Engine is in a Lightly used Pickup. Heavy Used Pickup.. Boat or RV . All take different heat range plugs. Pre-ignition can happen if you have the wrong plug or incomplete if you have the wrong plug the other way
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
Brazels RV fixed me up! They check part compatibility based on VIN.
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
AC Delco shows either 41-805 or 14 plugs
Autozone shows the same

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
AC Delco 41-101 plugs are available from Amazon, and other suppliers.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Number posted by OP is not shown on AC Delco's website. Odds are it has been replaced or super ceded by those that are shown.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without pulling a sparkplug, the manual or workhorse website would be more precise than most chain auto parts store. I know in the past when purchasing parts for our W24 with 8.1L they asked for our rig's serial number to verify part compatibility, our rig has 25K miles and I haven't change out our sparkplugs yet so I don't have that info I could pass along.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Did a search on AC Delco .
Found two listings for plugs \They do not show 41-983.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
wildtoad wrote:
Quick question: what plugs are in it now?

BEST response in thread!!!!
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
A mechanic can look at a plug and tell if it is the right heat range for how the engine is driven. Make sure the base is right, get the AC plug with right base and heat range.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
This website is one of the best for Workhorse part numbers and cross reference numbers. The 41-101 plugs work fine. Oemy's

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Spin a plug out, get the number, and go to your local GM dealer or auto parts store to get new ones. Take the old plug with you. No muss, no fuss.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
How would you know if the plugs that are in the rig are the correct ones?
There could be engine label on the air cleaner.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
chuckftboy wrote:
Generally there several plugs that will probably work fine for the same engine but if it were my coach, I would pull 1 plug and shop for that same number plug and eliminate any guess work

What a concept! :S
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Generally there several plugs that will probably work fine for the same engine but if it were my coach, I would pull 1 plug and shop for that same number plug and eliminate any guess work
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows