cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

South Lake Michigan

sunfan03
Explorer
Explorer
Driving up from Nashville to South Michigan to check off the last state in the Union to visit. Heading west afterwards back to the Pacific Northwest.

1) best place on Lake Michigan (Michigan side, preferably close to Indiana/Michigan border) for a brief visit and photo op (teens request)

2) ideas for overnight? 32' Class C motorhome in early May, so probably need electric hook-ups? Was thinking Indiana Dunes State Park after we stop in Michigan

Planning for a long drive from Nashville, so will leave early.
23 REPLIES 23

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
I have to admit, though, that this might be a crummy time to visit Michigan. Their Covid restrictions have been extended for 6 more months. We didn't go last summer (obviously) and I don't expect we'll go there this summer, either. Looking to head northwesterly instead and find some quiet, lonesome spots in the mountains.

Nothing that would impact a visitor has been extended for 6 months. The extension had to do with rules for employers, not the public. Living in Michigan, I find that the current restrictions have little or no impact on my daily life and certainly shouldn't be a cause for avoiding travel here.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Just for giggles I checked time and mileage from South Bend, IN. to Portland, OR. Going due west on 80 vs going north thru MI and around the lake
2200-33 hrs due west vs 2601-40hrs going around the lake per Googlemaps.

Safe travels
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I have to admit, though, that this might be a crummy time to visit Michigan. Their Covid restrictions have been extended for 6 more months. We didn't go last summer (obviously) and I don't expect we'll go there this summer, either. Looking to head northwesterly instead and find some quiet, lonesome spots in the mountains.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Go about 2 hours north into MI and check out Silver Lake Sand Dunes right on Lake Michigan. if you have a 4WD vehicle you can drive on the dunes. or rent a Jeep, or take a tour on a 4WD vehicle.

If you have the time I would highly suggest going north and into the UP. So much better things to see and do than along the MI/IN border.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll echo that you haven't seen MI until you've seen the upper part of lower peninsula, and upper peninsula, well that is a must see.

My suggestion, run up the west side of the state, into the UP, and continue your trip at the top of the map.

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
South Haven, Van Buren St Park.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
hornet28 wrote:
I would guess you haven't visited our beaches in late May or June. You will find lots of swimmers. Maybe your thinking of Lake Superior

Used to keep our boat on Lake Muskegon. Unless you are doing the polar bear plunge, not many swimming on the big lake that early. Heck of lot of people don't even launch their boats until the end of May.

I guess you must be from a warmer more southern area of the country. We used to skip school in the spring to go to the lake and swim. Heck there were fishing boats on Muskegon Lake in January this year

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
hornet28 wrote:
I would guess you haven't visited our beaches in late May or June. You will find lots of swimmers. Maybe your thinking of Lake Superior

Used to keep our boat on Lake Muskegon. Unless you are doing the polar bear plunge, not many swimming on the big lake that early. Heck of lot of people don't even launch their boats until the end of May.

I remember as a kid at summer camp in June we would get a patch if we did the "Polar Bear plunge" in Lake Michigan every morning at 7am for the week. The counselors would walk around outside the cabins with their bullhorns yelling "Rise and shine it's Polar bear time!" I remember it being very cold. June the lake can be warm depending on if we have a hot spring but it is a little early on average for me anyway to jump in. Some days it can feel real warm and the next day the wind turns the water over and then it drops 20 degrees.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
hornet28 wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
ken56 wrote:
Early May is still going to be on the 'cool' side weather wise especially by lake Michigan. Be sure to bring along the coats.

It's a great time to visit.

No you won't be swimming in Lake Michigan but that's a late August/September thing..

sunfan03
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ken56 and Tammy and Mike!

Sounds like Michigan will be like the first time we visited Zion NP...a first visit was enough to spark interest to go back. Add it to the list!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
ken56 wrote:
Early May is still going to be on the 'cool' side weather wise especially by lake Michigan. Be sure to bring along the coats.

It's a great time to visit.

No you won't be swimming in Lake Michigan but that's a late August/September thing.

But at that time, it's largely past any real risk for snow. Skeeters aren't out yet, so hikes in the wood and such are more pleasant. Flowers are blooming.

And much easier to get reservations.

Been to both dunes parks and I will take the Warren over Indiana. It's not that Indiana is bad just not as nice. Even more great options further north.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Early May is still going to be on the 'cool' side weather wise especially by lake Michigan. Be sure to bring along the coats. You've made your plans and the Badlands and points west is a good choice although Michigan is worthy of making it a destination to spend a few weeks in. I am formerly of MI. and love where we moved to in East Tennessee so the heads up on the difference in weather in early May is sincere. Just be prepared.

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
Wow. Just... wow! As someone who grew up in Michigan and who tries to get back nearly every summer to the beautiful lakes and trees of that state, my mind is boggled! How in the world can anyone visit all 49 of the other states and miss this gem?

I hope you decide to leave about 3 days earlier and tour Michigan. You'll skip the horrible Chicago traffic by driving up the Lake Michigan side, over the mighty Mackinaw Bridge, and through the Upper Peninsula. Many great sights to see along the way. Then follow US 2 westward!

(edit: I've assumed you are doing this in summer weather. If you are contemplating an imminent departure, forget what I said... Michigan is probably just white right now.)

I was floored also. MI is in my top handful of states to visit. And you are doing yourself a Tremendous disservice by not spending some time in the UP. I had never been there until i attended an in-laws wedding in Marquette but after that I look forward to going back as often as possible. I just avoid the cities.