cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jayco?

timn
Explorer
Explorer
Ok we have been looking for a new 5th wheel that is small enough to pull a utility trailer behind with our sxs. Looked at jayco today and liked the 28.5 rsts. Anyone have any comments about it. Anyone have any ideas on any others. Salesman said he wouldn't recommend double Pane windows. This looking and trying to decide will wear you out. Thanks for any help.
16 REPLIES 16

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
timn wrote:
Ok we have been looking for a new 5th wheel that is small enough to pull a utility trailer behind with our sxs.

So you will be pulling TWO TRAILERS ?

You had better have a goo welder re-enforce the frame on that 5er !

Jayco rates the hitch for 3000/300 pounds and includes the electric connector and safety chain loops. A small utility trailer shouldn't be a big deal.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
timn wrote:
Salesman said this model had really good insulation.

Sure he did. What was he supposed to say? This model has really bad insulation?

Fact is it has the same or close to same insulation as just about everything else out there that rolls out of Indiana. Sidewalls are 1-3/8" beaded foam that may get R7 on a good day. Anywhere they use fiberglass Batts such as Roof and front cap will just be thrown in by some fast moving worker with plenty of gaps and sloppy workmanship.

Ranger431
Explorer
Explorer
Can't comment on that specific floorplan, but of the 5 RVs I've had in my life, 4 have been Jaycos. Started with a HTT a long time ago, had 2 TTs, went to another brand, and when the time came to get a 5er, went right back to Jayco. Obviously I'm a big fan.
2020 Jayco Eagle 355 MBQS

2011 Ford F-350

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
1600 pounds of cargo capacity? That would be a deal breaker for me. By the time you fill the fresh tank, add a couple batteries and fill the propane there isn't much left for food, clothes, tools, BBQ, chairs, beer etc etc...
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmmm. My Arctic Fox is 10 years old and the dual pane windows are holding up very well. Not sure if they're sealed like the ones at home. But, no evidence of fogging or water leaking between panes.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Let_s_Go_Explor
Explorer
Explorer
WE have a Jayco Eagle HT 28.5 on order. While we were thinking about the dual pane windows, once we found out that they weren't sealed, it really was not the $$ in our opinion. Talking to others, it sounds like the dual pane does more to prevent some moisture on the interior of window on cold days.

As for the additional trailer, as long as it is small / light, I dont think you will have a problem.
April & Tom (and son Brian when he is in town!)

2021 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5
2021 Ford F350 XLT 4X4 Crew Cab w/ 7.3L Engine and 4:30 Rear.

Life is meant to be enjoyed. Find ways to make it happen! :B

Hiking and Geocaching Rocks!

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Pinnacle with single pane windows. Our previous fifth wheel had dual pane. After 4 or 5 seasons they started to fog. They are not comparable to a sealed window you have in your home and as stated are just 2 panes of glass. I think they do help some which is common sense but we didn't want them again. We've had our Pinnacle out on some really hot days and I did have to close the shades where the sun hit the windows. We didn't have any problems keeping it cool.

Look up the Josh the RV Nerd at Haylett RV in Michigan. He has some really interesting videos, including one on the dual pane windows. He is also a Jayco dealer.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
My Canyon Trail is 31' and came with a solid built factory receiver hitch. I tow a small trailer, about 12-15 hundred lbs when loaded with motorcycles. I have 5,200 lb axles and frame/springs that allow a huge CCC. I do feel the effect of the added trailer on bumps, bridges, etc.

While my factory hitch on FW rear is well built, very solid, across frame, with heavy square tubular steel, it is only rated for 300 lbs tongue wt.

Mine is very well insulated (advertised 4-season) with good quality, dark tinted, single pane safety glass.

Jerry

timn
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
timn wrote:
Ok we have been looking for a new 5th wheel that is small enough to pull a utility trailer behind with our sxs.

Yes I will be pulling a small trailer would they put a receiver hitch if you couldn't? Yes the salesman said not to put dual pane tinted safety glass windows on it when we order said it just wasn't worth it. Salesman said this model had really good insulation. If not I really don't want one.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
timn wrote:

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a JAYCO Eagle and I would recommend getting the double pane windows. I bought mine after Hurricane Michael destroyed my house and we lived in it for 2 years. We couldn't keep the RV cool in the summer even with blackout shades on all the windows, extra insulation in the pantry and closets, and foam covers in the vents. We ran both A/C units and they would kick on early in the morning and run constantly until well after dark. Inside temperatures would get into the mid 80s on sunny days.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Many of the HT models have a low CCC, due to lighter duty 4,400 lb axles. Most of these type FWs have small fresh water, and gray/black tanks to stay under a low GVWR of around 10K.

If you add another small trailer hitch wt on the very rear, just amplifies the load on frame and suspension. Will it work? Probably, but something to consider. Going to a trailer, in similar size, but with 5,200 axles, is a good upgrade.

Jerry

Shal36
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the Jayco Owners forum and do a search. Some of these HTs are having wall separation and frame crack issues. Not sure about that specific model. Good info out on the owner forum.

If looking at brand new, both issues may be resolved. If used, they are in play.

They are also using an OEM pin box that cannot be swapped out for a standard pin box on many of the HT units. Thatโ€™s a non-starter for me.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Double pane are not thermopane windows that are completely sealed. The space between the two panes of glass can get water or dust inside and can be expensive to repair.