cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vortex II fans

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Getting a new TT Monday. It, like most TT's comes with a weak, under powered fan that would be hard pressed to blow out a candle.

In other trailers I've purchased, I have a Fantastic fan installed in it's place.

This time I'm thinking of putting in a Vortec II fan myself. I know it's not a Fantastic fan or Maxx air fan, but will the Vortec II move enough air to be worth while?
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch
20 REPLIES 20

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moves a lot of air and is noisy. Mine came not completely assembled, literally had to take it apart to fix it.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, they are quite powerful. In fact, you can feel the air being pulled under the door. Make sure you turn the fan off before you flush, cause its strong enough to pull nasty air up through the toilet.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the PWM I can make mine completely silent (as in I can't hear it when parked at the beach over the lovely sound of the waves crashing) or I can turn it up enough to visibly suck the column of steam rising from a pasta pot straight from the pot like there was a flexible duct connecting the two. I've got a Fantastic desk fan I bought for camping and honestly there's not that much difference in volume, but there is a difference in tone between the two.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I put a MaxxAir 1200T on our mh and liked it real well. In the summer of 2013 we traded for a new mh, then I went to get a new MaxxAir 1200T for our new mh, I learned that the 1200T was no longer available.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I installed a Vortex II in my TT. I am pleased with it. It does move a lot of air but as others have stated, it is noisier than my Maxx Air that I had in my Class C. I picked mine up on sale at CW when it was on sale and I had a $10 coupon. If you are on a budget, they are a good deal in my opinion.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Blacklane wrote:
More importantly, both of the (different) ones that I bought produced a high-pitch noise when operating the Vortex fan. I did not have the noise when I connected one of the PWMs to my range hood fan, so it has something to do with the Vortex motor.Be sure to bench test your unit before installing it if you choose to use a PWM controller.

The PWMs on eBay are cheap and some do run at a frequency that does produce noise. My son added one that was dead quiet, the first one I tried produced an objectionable noise, the second one looked like his and performed well. A quick check didn't turn up the exact model I used, so bench check one and try another if necessary.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Maxx Air in the bedroom and a Vortex II in the bathroom. The Vortex is fitted with a PWM controller and we almost never operate it at full power, it moves plenty of air.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a Vortec I in our bathroom, yes not as quiet as a Maxxair, but does a great job. It is also an inside install great winter project!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Blacklane
Explorer
Explorer
A Pulse-Width Modulated (PWM) controller is an excellent way to control the speed of a DC-powered fan. They are cheap and easy to install and provide nearly infinite speed selection.

But be aware: they usually draw a bit of parasitic power when in the "off" state, so you should keep the existing on/off switch. More importantly, both of the (different) ones that I bought produced a high-pitch noise when operating the Vortex fan. I did not have the noise when I connected one of the PWMs to my range hood fan, so it has something to do with the Vortex motor. I ended up just buying the 3-speed Vortex 2 fan instead. Be sure to bench test your unit before installing it if you choose to use a PWM controller.

morley
Explorer
Explorer
We installed one in the bathroom of our fiver last year(Vortexll) and it definitely works much better than the tiny fans that are installed in most bathrooms. They have went up in price quite sharply since we installed ours last year. The three speeds work well, we usually just run at medium and the Vortex ll is also reversible. Easy to install and can run off the same power source that supplied your original fan..
Ours has performed well so far.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
Not knowing anything, what are PWM's? And how do you install reversing switches?

Lynnmor wrote:
I bought the cheaper single speed Vortex fan and added PWMs and reversing switches. Now I have full speed control in both directions without wasting energy like the resistors in the Vortex II.

Search eBay for PWM, you should be able to find videos to help on YouTube. A Pulse Width Modulator turns the power on and off rapidly, as you adjust the knob the time on varies to adjust the motor speed. A DPDT switch can be used for reversing by swapping the plus and minus.

It really is simple and cheap to do this.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Atlee wrote:
Vortec II fan

I just looked them up. Looks really cheap/cheesy.

I am a fan of the MaxxFan Deluxe due to the integrated hood.

I show how I installed them in this video

A little more info in this video
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Not knowing anything, what are PWM's? And how do you install reversing switches?

Lynnmor wrote:
I bought the cheaper single speed Vortex fan and added PWMs and reversing switches. Now I have full speed control in both directions without wasting energy like the resistors in the Vortex II.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
I have one (The Vortec I) in the kitchen of our MH and yes it does pull a bunch of air. But it is a noisy thing.

Add a PWM.