Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Vortex II fans
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/21 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

Not knowing anything, what are PWM's? And how do you install reversing switches?

Lynnmor wrote:

I bought the cheaper single speed Vortex fan and added PWMs and reversing switches. Now I have full speed control in both directions without wasting energy like the resistors in the Vortex II.

Search eBay for PWM, you should be able to find videos to help on YouTube. A Pulse Width Modulator turns the power on and off rapidly, as you adjust the knob the time on varies to adjust the motor speed. A DPDT switch can be used for reversing by swapping the plus and minus.

It really is simple and cheap to do this.

morley

British Columbia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/21 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We installed one in the bathroom of our fiver last year(Vortexll) and it definitely works much better than the tiny fans that are installed in most bathrooms. They have went up in price quite sharply since we installed ours last year. The three speeds work well, we usually just run at medium and the Vortex ll is also reversible. Easy to install and can run off the same power source that supplied your original fan..
Ours has performed well so far.

2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

Blacklane

New Carlisle, Ohio USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/21 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Pulse-Width Modulated (PWM) controller is an excellent way to control the speed of a DC-powered fan. They are cheap and easy to install and provide nearly infinite speed selection.

But be aware: they usually draw a bit of parasitic power when in the "off" state, so you should keep the existing on/off switch. More importantly, both of the (different) ones that I bought produced a high-pitch noise when operating the Vortex fan. I did not have the noise when I connected one of the PWMs to my range hood fan, so it has something to do with the Vortex motor. I ended up just buying the 3-speed Vortex 2 fan instead. Be sure to bench test your unit before installing it if you choose to use a PWM controller.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/21 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Vortec I in our bathroom, yes not as quiet as a Maxxair, but does a great job. It is also an inside install great winter project!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Maxx Air in the bedroom and a Vortex II in the bathroom. The Vortex is fitted with a PWM controller and we almost never operate it at full power, it moves plenty of air.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/21 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blacklane wrote:

More importantly, both of the (different) ones that I bought produced a high-pitch noise when operating the Vortex fan. I did not have the noise when I connected one of the PWMs to my range hood fan, so it has something to do with the Vortex motor.Be sure to bench test your unit before installing it if you choose to use a PWM controller.

The PWMs on eBay are cheap and some do run at a frequency that does produce noise. My son added one that was dead quiet, the first one I tried produced an objectionable noise, the second one looked like his and performed well. A quick check didn't turn up the exact model I used, so bench check one and try another if necessary.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/21 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed a Vortex II in my TT. I am pleased with it. It does move a lot of air but as others have stated, it is noisier than my Maxx Air that I had in my Class C. I picked mine up on sale at CW when it was on sale and I had a $10 coupon. If you are on a budget, they are a good deal in my opinion.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/21 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put a MaxxAir 1200T on our mh and liked it real well. In the summer of 2013 we traded for a new mh, then I went to get a new MaxxAir 1200T for our new mh, I learned that the 1200T was no longer available.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/21 01:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the PWM I can make mine completely silent (as in I can't hear it when parked at the beach over the lovely sound of the waves crashing) or I can turn it up enough to visibly suck the column of steam rising from a pasta pot straight from the pot like there was a flexible duct connecting the two. I've got a Fantastic desk fan I bought for camping and honestly there's not that much difference in volume, but there is a difference in tone between the two.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, they are quite powerful. In fact, you can feel the air being pulled under the door. Make sure you turn the fan off before you flush, cause its strong enough to pull nasty air up through the toilet.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.