cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 F-250

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just traded my 05 F-250 for a 2020 model with a long bed. I need to upgrade my hitch, but my truck doesn't have the dealer prep for the puck system. Has anyone installed aftermarket supports for puck mounted hitches or gotten the Ford dealer to install the factory prep?

Is there an affordable aftermarket installation kit that would allow me to use underbed rails?
8 REPLIES 8

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Install the pucks and then get the best non air ride hitch on the market.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
IIRC...MeAgain, forum member here, installed the puck under bed system, to his Ram, by himself, in about 4 hours. It seems he had to raise the bed a bit, but not a big deal.

Chris is likely a pretty handy guy, with the needed tools, and knowledge, to do this job quicker than most. I think anyone, not afraid to dig into the unknown, and maybe using a handy helper, should be able to do this install. Having to pay a qualified shop, plus the cost of Ford kit ( more expensive, than if factory ordered), would make adding the puck system quite costly.

IMO, installing the fitted frame mounting brackets (no drill), for a standard rail mounted hitch, such as the B&W Patriot, is a good choice too! Having had 3 new trucks with rails in the bed, has been a non issue for me.

I am not a fan of single point attachment style hitches, on late model trucks.

Jerry

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the Ford's puck system is like the Ram, you can purchase the pucks individually from the dealer. The Ram's pucks mount/bolt on top of the frame rails, right underneath the bed (requires making cut-outs in the bed, too). I also seem to remember a few folks mentioning they had to unbolt and lift up the bed slightly to get the pucks in.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
I looked into it and decided it wasn't worth it. My hitch comes out easy enough and the rails don't add much to the floor of the bed to make it worth my while. Adding the puck system after the truck is built requires pulling the entire bed off, drilling through the bed, mounting the pucks on the frame rails and putting the bed back on. Would have loved to have it from the factory, but too much of a hassle to do it aftermarket for me and not enough benefit.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I had the B&W turn ball on my previous F350 brought the present one it didn't have Ford prep. Easier to have the B&W installed by a local upfitter than the dealer that seemed clueless about the puck system.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I had the gooseneck package ordered in my pickup. I then ordered the Curt X5 adaptor plate. I really like the set up. I can pull with a gooseneck which I typically use, and when I pulling my Fuzion, install the X5 and Curt 5th wheel Fifth wheel plate. Keeps the bed flat with the turn over ball, and supports the fifth wheel plate with the X5.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Google... Ford Accessories fifth wheel prep kit.

Jerry

bakedalaskan1
Explorer
Explorer
B&W Turnover ball will do the job. https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/turnoverball-gooseneck-hitch

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/5th-wheel-hitch