Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1977 Dodge Sportsman

gahanorama
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

New owner of vintage MH. I have browsed a lot of the forums so far but wanted to get input and add photos. We were able to drive the Dodge 2 hours from seller to our home so engine is in goodish state. It drove fine when we test drove it and we had a mechanic look at the engine. However, it did stall at some lights and stop signs. The seller bought new spark plugs but had not put them in yet. We are hoping that will solve but welcome any advice.

Many upgrades by owner but many still to be completed. Tires and brakes are great and were replaced recently. No AC - problem in Texas. Overhead loft area needs to be finished/repaired (there are some tiny drips) but the rest of the MH is in pretty pristine condition. I am 47 so it was like stepping back into my childhood. My grandmother had a GMC Champlain with an identical interior. My teen girls want to rip put the shag carpet and paint the interior but I am insisting we keep the interior AS IS.

My biggest question is what is the best roof/window sealant for these. What is the roof made out of? Is it aluminum or rubber?

Also, I am pretty good at finding stuff on internet but can not find a manual. Bought the Haynes and Chilton guides plus a generic RV maintenance book that are useful but would love a manual. We have no idea if generator works, we need to modernize propane and would like to add a solar system at some point.

We got a great deal on it and have some extra cash to spend on getting it tip top. Looking forward to taking it on the road!

I have a link to photos in my profile.

Thanks!
The Gahans
4 REPLIES 4

ronfisherman
Welcome to RV.NET gahanorama
There is a long running thread with lots of info in it. Check it out.
How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi and welcome to the group: Good advice about new gas and Seafoam. Stalling is probably carburetor related and doubt that spark plugs will solve it. A good tune up by a trusted mechanic seems to be a good start. Your roof is probably aluminum and dicor self-leveling is a good start. Do some reading and researching on this forum and you will come up with much good advice. Above all, enjoy it and have fun!
chartrue2@aol.com

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
Your roof is most likely aluminum, usually uncoated away from vents etc and shiny, proflexrv is very good, I buy 1 quart/litre cans and apply with cheap foam paintbrush. It comes in tubes as well to caulk trim seams on the sides. It comes clear and white. Messy but sticks to anything and everything, hands and clothing as well as where you want it.
I got my 86 a year ago, used a 1/2 inch wood chisel to poke at the sealant on the roof seams and if the sealer moved a bit, soft, carefully removed sealer, followed loose sealer and then applied proflexrv. I kept my trailer roof resealed that way over the years. Roof is the weak point and needs to be checked every couple years.

I had more than 1 layer and water was starting to get under top layer.

With aluminum roof you only need to worry about vent AC openings and where sealed at the sides, front and rear.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,D drain the fuel tank. with the newer gas water is a problem over time. at least pour couple bottles of sea foam in it.