cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nomadland

6door74
Explorer
Explorer
Great movie in my opinion. It's available on Hulu and in theaters now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sxCFZ8_d84
2006 E350 V10
Travel Trailer-TBD
26 REPLIES 26

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Ed and I watched it last night - he said it was boring - but he wasn't paying close attention to it, either. I LOVED it - I saw a strong and quietly-adventurous woman who was willing to walk away from safety/security to travel that road-less-traveled.

I also post on van conversion forums (having converted a cargo van) and I sure hope all the starry-eyed people who see the "mini-house-like van parked near the scenic view" - watch this movie to see the un-glamorous side of living in a van, because Nomadland shows that can be starkly grim, including pooping in a bucket. I'm reading way too many folks buying ancient, high-mileage vans and no clue how to do a conversion..... and then they plan to see the USA....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Seon wrote:
I started to watch Nomadland but just couldn't get into it and turned it off. Maybe will try again later.

I did the same thing when it was on Netflix. I may try again when it comes back but won't pursue it. I generally don't watch movies to be depressed.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw it on Amazon.. not free since it's new and just won an Oscar. Liked it a lot. A bit slow, but it's not supposed to be an action movie. Anyway, it held my interest all the way.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I just watched this movie and thought it did a great portrayal of the nomads I have met. It was somber movie - but that was the point. Older people who have lost everything is a somber subject - but those same people who have found a way to survive/recover/thrive and that's worth celebrating.

One of the underlying themes that everyone should recognize is the culture of the RV community. Never had a problem in any campground that wasn't fixed by a fellow camper.
Kevin

mwachel
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't seen the movie yet since I don't have HULU but I hope to find it somewhere to watch...eventually.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
I think the movie did a good job showing the sub-culture they portrayed. That group is growing, but many other groups are also growing. Families working on the road. Families moving to places without local employment, etc. The RV industry is having a banner year.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
It took me three tries to finally watched it in its entirety. It was very depressing to watch.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4van wrote:
Pretty slow, and mostly depressing, but that's just MO.
That was my take also it was very hard to watch. I was hoping for some redeeming value somewhere. I reminded me of when we went to Quartzite and then to slab city. People actually lived like that right in the shadow of Salvation Mountain. The high point were how they helped each other with those in need. I would have like it better if Frances hookup up with the guy who liked her and they traveled together.

Lee_RV
Explorer
Explorer
6door74 wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Watched last nite.I did like it,I have met some folks like the ones in the movie and I think they were portrayed very well.

Most of them are real people who live that lifestyle. That plus the story and great acting by the "real" actors made it great to me. It was filmed in 2018 and look where we are now. People who ended up in similar circumstances. Some by choice and others not.

My daughter is hell bent on living in a camper van and I'm not opposed to it. I would love to live on the road though I would need some amenities that a van can't provide. She's only 16 so I have some time. But i had her watch it so she can see it's not only the glamour she sees on social media.

She will get over that, or at least the van part. Young people like the van idea because its the cheapest and easiest way to independence. Wheels and their own place all in one. Right out of college I was stuck and "van life" had the same affect on me but that has turned into a class A now (along with RV parks/resorts instead of walmart parking lots). You also have to find a career that allows it.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty slow, and mostly depressing, but that's just MO.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
When I was full time Rving, I never considered myself homeless. The only difference was my house was made to move wherever I wished. I felt sorry for those poor souls who opted to live in a brick and mortar dwelling. They were sure missing out! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

mwachel
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't seen it yet but I may have to check it out. I gave up Hulu awhile ago. ?????

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
I got the sense of the movie that altho it can be a tough life, its a life that some choose because nothing else suits them as well. It also showed how folks help each other out.
Lots of angles to the movie, which is why it won the awards imo.

dedmiston
In a similar category, but different spin, there's a documentary that was all the buzz here on RV.NET fifteen years or so ago. It's about people who live in Walmart parking lots, bouncing from Walmart to Walmart.

It used to be free on Amazon Prime, but now it looks like they're charging for it.

"This Is Nowhere"

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230