cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grey water pipes snake around above floor - can I reroute?

Theophania_Rex
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to convert the back bedroom of my 1995 Leprechaun into an open studio space. However, what appears to be the grey water pipes snake from the shower and the sink on the opposite side, run along the walls, then snake back under the bed (in the picture the pipes are under the long carpeted blocks) before going under the floor at the foot of the bed.

Right now my idea is to raise the floor in the room a few inches to accommodate so that I can have a mostly flat, useable area (I can cut down the blocks in the middle of the room a little, can't do it with the ones along the wall because of valves and electrical lines and stuff), but I'm also wondering why they are installed above the floor anyway, and why the heck they needed to snake them all over the place instead of using more direct lines to the dump valve. Would it be possible to just rerun the pipes to have them go under the floor in a more direct manner, do you see any issue with this?

Raising the floor poses issues of tripping over the step as I walk in as well as decreased headroom.

Thanks!

1995 Coachman Leprechaun 278
7 REPLIES 7

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
I was a service plumber and I can tell you the gray water pipes need slope. Soap, skin cells, food bits, fat, all settle in pipes and over time create sludge blocking pipes and sometimes I had to cut down pipes to take them outside to clean out properly.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, it was done for freeze protection. If you can avoid freezes, or mitigate it some other way, go ahead and re-route. Sloping isn't a big deal for short runs, as long as the pipe is supported so it isn't solely bearing liquid weight.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Theophania_Rex
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Yes, not easy. Since the grey tank is under floor, the lines drain into it from above. Those lines could be rerouted under floor to dump into the tank in its side. Since grey water does not have a solids issue, grading is not a high concern. The u traps under shower likely protrude under the floor so its moot to offset the lines under as well.
You would have to remove the tank, have a side inlet plastic welded into its side, the top fill inlet welded over. Contact a good auto body shop for plastic welding. No glue will work on Poly Ethylene. A rubber flexible coupling to connect pipe to tank will work and allow for vibration and temp changes.

Thanks, this is helpful. Sounds a little too complicated, time consuming and maybe costly. I want to get on the road, like now!

Maybe it would simpler if I left where the pipes enter the floor in the same places, but just rerouted the rest of the piping around the front part of the room? I'd still have piping sticking up over the floor, but at least it would be less in the way and I wouldn't have to build an entire floor on top of everything. And less of a risk of having to to cut through anything under the floor (framing, joists) to get the pipes routed. Still a trip hazard, though, but a lot less work.
1995 Coachman Leprechaun 278

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could you add a second grey tank under the shower?

Could you re-route to the wall edge instead of down the bed support? Otherwise it looks like you need to go through the floor and under.

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
To avoid freezing in very cold weather, if camping, as well as proper drainage. The smaller Grey lines are hot and cold water supply to taps. Drain pipes have to be above the top of the tanks.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Rerouted pipes in RVs are problematic. Proceed carefully.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, not easy. Since the grey tank is under floor, the lines drain into it from above. Those lines could be rerouted under floor to dump into the tank in its side. Since grey water does not have a solids issue, grading is not a high concern. The u traps under shower likely protrude under the floor so its moot to offset the lines under as well.
You would have to remove the tank, have a side inlet plastic welded into its side, the top fill inlet welded over. Contact a good auto body shop for plastic welding. No glue will work on Poly Ethylene. A rubber flexible coupling to connect pipe to tank will work and allow for vibration and temp changes.