cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class C Aluminum Wheels

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2018 Coachman Leprechaun 319MB. It came from the factory with what appear to be polished aluminum wheels on the front. They are starting to look bad and I tried to polishing them with no success. I suspect they may have a clearcoat over them that is starting to get a cloudy appearance. Has anyone ever stripped the clearcoat from their wheels? I'm concerned about using paint stripper without first dismounting the tires.
10 REPLIES 10

houstonstroker
Explorer
Explorer
I have Alcoa wheels on my Freightliner motorhome. I have tried many polishes. I just bought a new wheel polish. Green metal Polish from www.mirrorfinishpolishes.com. Did a spot try the other day and it works. We have some hard water and the spots are stubborn maybe etched I don't know. Anyway the pad turned black and the spots disappeared. Might work even faster with one of those balls for your drill.
2016 Dynamax Force HD Super C

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Alloy wheels are machined within .005 ins, steel wheels are stamped and are maybe +or- .030. So the alloy wheels are much more accurate. The down side is hitting a large pot hole the steel wheel will bend and can be straightened out wit a hammer. The alloy wheel in not as ductile and is more apt to crack. I could never tell the difference in ride in a car between steel or alloy wheels, some people say they can. Some claim a 22.5 tire rides better that a 19.5 tire I couldn't. Ride quality is very subjective.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Home Skillet wrote:
bobndot wrote:
Also, the Alcoa wheel is hub centric now, correct ?

I would not want to install a set of lug centric wheels on an rv , as most aftermarket wheels are.

Yes. And, you use the OEM lug nuts.

Thank u 🙂

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:

I would not want to install a set of lug centric wheels on an rv , as most aftermarket wheels are.

Yes. And, you use the OEM lug nuts.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
I think Alcoa does make an alloy inner wheel for the rear now. Used to be that you retained the steel rim on the inner rear. There are three part numbers, rear inner is not polished at all, outer rear is polished on the dished side, and the fronts are polished on the "bulged side". You cannot put the wheels in different positions due to the lack of polish on the inner side of whichever wheel it is, and the fact that the inner side gets marks, impressions and rust stains, etc, from the hubs.

Charles
I understand that if you install that inner Alcoa wheel, you will also need to replace all your rear wheel studs because they are too short to accommodate the extra thickness of two alloy wheels.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Home Skillet wrote:
After getting fed up with wheel simulators, I put ALCOAs on my Class C.
The ride difference is outstanding. So much less unsprung weight for the suspension to deal with.

Ahhhh, someone who understands unsprung weight and how it affects driving and the ride quality.

While I do not mind steel wheels on cars, my favorite family owned tire shop says that alloy wheels run truer and balance easier with less weight than steel wheels.

I have a '03 RAM 2500 Tradesman model that had steel wheels when I bought it in 2018. In 2019 I was able to buy a set of like new factory aluminum wheels off a '09 (still 3rd gen truck) 3500 SRW. What was astounding was the difference in weight. The steel rims were 17 pounds each, heavier than the alloy wheels. And yes, I could tell the difference in the ride over bumps and anything that made the tire bounce, as the shock had less weight to dampen the movement of. Its subtle and like a lot of things, after you get used to it, you don't notice it any more, but its there, or rather, not there, anymore.

I think Alcoa does make an alloy inner wheel for the rear now. Used to be that you retained the steel rim on the inner rear. There are three part numbers, rear inner is not polished at all, outer rear is polished on the dished side, and the fronts are polished on the "bulged side". You cannot put the wheels in different positions due to the lack of polish on the inner side of whichever wheel it is, and the fact that the inner side gets marks, impressions and rust stains, etc, from the hubs.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
ron.dittmer wrote:
Our rig has steel wheels with stainless steel wheel simulators. When replacing the tires this spring, I am considering buying Alcoa wheels with the Dura-Bright finish from THIS RETAILER. So I am interested in hearing about issues.

After getting fed up with wheel simulators, I put ALCOAs on my Class C.
The ride difference is outstanding. So much less unsprung weight for the suspension to deal with.

I also installed the TST TPMS in tire sensors.
The finish is really holding up.
I didn't go for the chrome look version, too flashy.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Our rig has steel wheels with stainless steel wheel simulators. When replacing the tires this spring, I am considering buying Alcoa wheels with the Dura-Bright finish from THIS RETAILER. So I am interested in hearing about issues.

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
If they are Alcoa Aluminum wheels they have a coating on them as to wash with soap and water and dry.dont try to strip them you will have a bigger mess on your hands. Call a Alcoa Dealer. Why would anybody just put alum wheels on the front?