cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jeep towing questions.

Cmccain13
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I know this has proboably been asked here a ton but bear with me please. Do aftery last trip I am fed up with the tow dolly that we have. We have snagged the bumper of my civic too many times and with wet weather it creates so many issues. Ugh I'm going flat tow.

So I was reading and you can have an automatic Jeep and still tow it? I was under the impression they had to be manual transmission.

Also do you still need to get the tow plate installed like on other vehicles or do Jeep's generally come with that stuff already stick on the vehicle?

Thanks for your time!
11 REPLIES 11

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
My comments are based on my experience with a 2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr with automatic transmission. You do not need a charge line to the Jeep, you will need to install wiring for tail, brake, signal lights. You do not need to leave the key in the ignition so after setup put key in pocket. At least on my year model you not need to pull any fuses. You do not have to disconnect the battery. One of the easiest to setup and use, cost effective tow solutions is the Ready Brute Elite package. Give them a call and they can inform you of exactly what you will need.

Simply hook up the tow equipment, put transfer case in neutral, transmission in Park, remove key and go.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
CA Traveler wrote:
For me I can accept that the dealer has to install "something" to make the vehicle flat towable.

But I would not accept a condition like "disconnect the negative battery terminal". Since a flat towable vehicle cannot be backed up it's enough should a quick disconnect need arise without having to open the hood, find a wrench and reconnect the battery cable.

Very simple fix for THAT: install a battery disconnect switch on the toad. Don't even have to open the hood, although simpler install if you do put it under the hood.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
For me I can accept that the dealer has to install "something" to make the vehicle flat towable.

But I would not accept a condition like "disconnect the negative battery terminal". Since a flat towable vehicle cannot be backed up it's enough should a quick disconnect need arise without having to open the hood, find a wrench and reconnect the battery cable.

BTW My JGC battery is under the passenger seat and access is much more involved than any other vehicle I've owned.

OP With a pending purchase do your research and understand every aspect of towing requirements. There are thouslands of posts of folks wanting to tow existing vehicles and then the "surprise" game unfolds.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Cmccain13 wrote:
Also do you still need to get the tow plate installed like on other vehicles or do Jeep's generally come with that stuff already stick on the vehicle?

Components for tow bar still need to be installed on a Jeep.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need tow bar, base plate, aux brake and lights/turn signals. You may also need a charge line involving MH wiring as some vehicles consume DC power when being towed, model dependent.

Most 4WD Jeeps can be towed with the transfer case in neutral. 2 wheel vehicles are less likely to be towable.

Don't depend on towing guides, owners manuals and even mfg on what can be towed. Mfg's make mistakes that are not always corrected and that includes Jeep. Research various boards and irv2 has IMHO some of the best information on Jeeps.

Bob

Cmccain13
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick wrote:
Might depend on which Jeep you're interested in - Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Compass, etc....

I've got personal experience with the Grand Cherokee, and can definitively say that some, but not all, automatics are flat towable. It depends entirely on the transmission. I suspect this to be true with other Jeep models, but I'm not certain. If you let us know what model you're interested in, we can give more advice.

No vehicle comes from the factory with the necessary baseplate installed, or wired for the rear signal lights. The baseplates vary by manufacturer - Blue Ox, Roadmaster, etc...I'm partial to Blue Ox, but there are others available.

Ok yeah I am gonna be doing a Wrangler. I totally thought I mentioned that. Ok good to know that I'll still have to install all of that stuff on there also.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need tow bar, base plate, aux brake and lights/turn signals. You may also need a charge line involving MH wiring as some vehicles consume DC power when being towed, model dependent.

Most 4WD Jeeps can be towed with the transfer case in neutral. 2 wheel vehicles are less likely to be towable.

Don't depend on towing guides, owners manuals and even mfg on what can be towed. Mfg's make mistakes that are not always corrected and that includes Jeep. Research various boards and irv2 has IMHO some of the best information on Jeeps.

Bob

Y-Guy
First place to start looking is to check the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guides is a great place to start. It provides a great overview, but doesnโ€™t get into many details.

The ultimate authority is the actual Owners Manual that came with the vehicle. In most cases you can do a Google Search with the year make and model to find one online. But you will want to verify with the actual owners manual of that vehicle to be sure since sometimes the online ones might differ from the actual. Generally speaking you want to look for the section on "Recreational Towing" in the owners manual.

Even vehicles that could be towed one year might not be recommended the next year, either changes to electronics, transmission, engine or the bean counters can all influence the change.

Jeep probably the biggest line up of flat tow-able vehicles. The Wrangler is one of the most popular toads that I see, but you see a lot of others too.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Check the manufacturerโ€™s literature carefully as to year, model and equipment.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Might depend on which Jeep you're interested in - Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Compass, etc....

I've got personal experience with the Grand Cherokee, and can definitively say that some, but not all, automatics are flat towable. It depends entirely on the transmission. I suspect this to be true with other Jeep models, but I'm not certain. If you let us know what model you're interested in, we can give more advice.

No vehicle comes from the factory with the necessary baseplate installed, or wired for the rear signal lights. The baseplates vary by manufacturer - Blue Ox, Roadmaster, etc...I'm partial to Blue Ox, but there are others available.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Yes SOME Jeeps with automatic transmissions can be flat towed, so can some other vehicles.
dinghy guide
Still verify through the owners manual that the one your looking at is capable.