cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CG in Brooksville Fl

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Looking for a CG in Brooksville FL area. Usually I don't have issues finding CG's in various places but it seems like the first 10 I check in this area are permanent or over 55. I am just looking for a regular CG. Suggestions?

Thanks
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
12 REPLIES 12

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Is this a FL thing?

Maybe, but you can see the same situation in South Texas, Arizona, and some other places around the country.

Basically that is mainly a retirement area. And long term 'residence' type campgrounds fit the old model retiree lifestyle choice. In some states, 'Age Qualified' communities are not allowed by state law, in other states, they are protected by state law.

Now, most of the 55+ RV places, and even the 55+ S/B communities, do allow short visits and overnights for folks under 55+.

After all, us old farts have kids and grandkids we occasionally like to have visit us. But you have to talk to each one individually.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thanks for all he help so far. There must be like 20 CG's around the area but almost none of them seem like real CG's - if that makes any sense. Is this a FL thing?

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're not into dump stations then Campers Holiday is going to be your best bet. It's only about 15 minutes from downtown Brooksville.
Here's their contact info so you can ask if children are okay.
Campers Holiday Contact

Personally I think the sites are too close together for my tastes. When I camp I don't want to feel like I'm in a parking lot.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
We have family in Brooksville so we don't want to be too far away. And yes we have a child.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how far is too far for you. When we stayed in Clerbrook a couple winters ago, we would drive over to Brooksville to have lunch or dinner with friends. It was 45 miles each way, about an hour, with NO toll roads.

Some other options where friends have stayed and enjoyed the stop. A quick check of web sites says nothing about 55+, and the friends who stayed in those were under 55, but it has been a few years.

Covered Wagon - Homosassa

Sumter Oaks - Escapees - Bushnell

Blueberry Hill - Bushnell

Campers Holiday - south Brooksville

Rock Crusher RV - Crystal River

Rock Crusher was very popular with come folks on this forum in the past. While staying at Crystal Isle, we visited the park, and it looked quite nice.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Do you have kids?

A lot 55+ parks won't get too fussy if it's 2 adults coming in. We've stayed in 5 different ones so far this winter. A few have laughed and basically said they are desperate without the snowbirds (plus most make allowances for grandkids, so as long as you don't set them lose to go wild, they might let you in with kids)

Also, what time frame are you looking at. Spring break is coming up. That's prime time and while not ideal, is doable for visiting Orlando sites.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
captbru wrote:
Take a look at this one very nice park

Bell Parc RV Resort

That park looks very nice but pricey for being inland and not all that far South considering electric isn't included and high speed internet is extra. I don't want to hijack this thread but we stayed on the East Coast last winter, 15 minutes from the Ocean near Titusville at a very nice resort and paid $900/month including electric and very good high speed wifi throughout the park.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:
magnusfide wrote:
Try Withlacoochee State Forest-Croom Tract's Silver Lake Campground located about 20 minutes (13-14 miles) east of Brooksville (only 5 minutes from I-75).

Thanks, I should have mentioned we will be there over a week and need full hookups.

Iโ€™ve stayed there for two weeks. When I needed to use the dump station it was easy to roll to the ds and then back to my site.

They have the essentials at the site water and electric.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
captbru wrote:

Bell Parc RV Resort

Looked at that one. It's a 55+ park. That won't work for us.

captbru
Explorer
Explorer

Bell Parc RV Resort

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
magnusfide wrote:
Try Withlacoochee State Forest-Croom Tract's Silver Lake Campground located about 20 minutes (13-14 miles) east of Brooksville (only 5 minutes from I-75).

Thanks, I should have mentioned we will be there over a week and need full hookups.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II

Info:
Silver Lake Campground

Campsites spread out under the open shade of large oak trees. The campground is located on the northern end of Silver Lake on a gently sloping grassy area, and many sites have a view of the water. A boat ramp is located in the campground. The campground is located adjacent to Interstate 75, so constant interstate noise can be expected.

Features
Camping for RVs and tents
Canoeing
Fishing
Leashed pets allowed
Facilities
Boat ramp/canoe launch

Developed campsites with electricity, water, picnic table and fire ring with a grate and/or a grill.

For information and reservations, visit Reserve America or call 1-877-879-3859.
Reservations
Dump station located on main entrance/exit road for all three campgrounds on the left as you are exiting the facility

Restrooms and showers
Trails
Nature trail and boardwalk

Directions
Take I-75 Exit 301 to U.S. 98/State Road 50. Turn east (away from Brooksville) and proceed about 1 mile until you reach the stoplight at Croom Rital Road. Turn left and proceed north for approximately 3 miles on Croom Rital Road. Follow signs to the Withlacoochee State Forest Silver Lake Recreation Area. Turn right onto Silver Lake Road. After passing the gatehouse, follow the road to the right approximately ยผ mile to the first campground entrance to Silver Lake Campground on your left.

Withlacoochee-Crooms also has two other campgrounds farther from the interstate:
Cypress Glen

and farther away River Junction.

Magnus