cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FloJet Macerator Capabilities -Unique (embarassing) Question

TURNKEY
Explorer
Explorer
I am interested in getting a FloJet Portable Macerator pump. Looking at on line images of the pump it appears the part of the pump assembly that connects from the rv bayonet dump fitting to the actual blade housing of the macerator is a funnel shape that goes from about 3" to about 1.5".

My question refers to the actual 'size' and 'firmness' capabilities of the pump. Can it handle something as large as tennis ball and very firm? It looks like the taper of the funnel could prevent a large 'object' from actually reaching the blades. Or is it the case that if it can fit through the valve gate (aside from clogging type material like hair and baby wipes) it is pump-able?
TURNKEY:?
10 REPLIES 10

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Tennis ball sized **** ????????

OK, I'm outta here :E
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I have used my macerator up to 150 feet runs and pump 100 plus gallons in 10-15 minutes. It has a hose connection for flushing it after pumping tanks that cleans out pump and hoses. After pumping I disconnect the pump and spray the inside propellers with a liberal coat of penetrating oil. It prevents it from sticking after sitting dry.

I ran a dedicated fused circuit from batteries to dump bay and plug the pump into it.

I have different lengths of 3/4 commercial hoses that are adaptable for different distances with a combination of all to 150 feet.

I have never had any problem dumping the tanks. I see no problem with the pump size if the tanks are used proper.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
TURNKEY wrote:
Old Biscuit I asked about tennis ball sized **** not tennis balls. Not everybody spits out BB's like you. Thanks for the detailed explanation about what YOU do but it was no help at at.

Comprehension is not your suit I take it

So POOP away and have a Stir Stick Close by
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

TURNKEY
Explorer
Explorer
Old Biscuit I asked about tennis ball sized **** not tennis balls. Not everybody spits out BB's like you. Thanks for the detailed explanation about what YOU do but it was no help at at.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
mbopp wrote:
I just looked - the throat on mine is 1-3/8". No, it will not pass a tennis ball. Or women's sanitary products. Or anything solid, the steel impeller needs to grind it up to pass through the garden hose fitting. Once a year I disassemble it to remove the hair wrapped around the impeller.

Nice post but one nit. The impellers are rubber not steel. The Steel blades are the macerator, all they do is break up semi solids and stir the soup as it were. Below them is a metal plate and below that are the rubber impellers. Just so you know.

Other than that one nit. Good post.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
WHY would you have 'tennis balls' in your Waste Tank??

POOP (even a Large one) will NOT clog up the inlet to macerator
Liquid to POOP ratio....needs to be high ---water is your friend

When POOPing fill toilet bowl BEFORE you flush then let a couple seconds of water flow when you flush

POOP when wet (EVEN a LARGE one0 will soften, turn gooey and flow right into that macerator and be ground up into small pieces of poop that will then be pumped out the discharge hose (use 3/4" Garden Hose)
I have had a Flojet Portable since 2008....pumps 75' with a 2' rise W/O issue

Then when done pumping connect another garden hose and flush clean water thru it to clear pump and discharge hose

I take mine apart at end of season and check the cutter blade (steel) and the Impeller (rubber)-----clean up any hair etc.
Done

But keep the tennis balls out of waste tanks
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Flojet Macerator and it will not accommodate anything the size of a tennis ball. You are correct that it is about 3" in diameter and tapers down to an opening 1.25"-1.5" (hard to measure exactly) before getting to the blades. If what you need to go through it is very firm, it needs to be narrower than the opening.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked - the throat on mine is 1-3/8". No, it will not pass a tennis ball. Or women's sanitary products. Or anything solid, the steel impeller needs to grind it up to pass through the garden hose fitting. Once a year I disassemble it to remove the hair wrapped around the impeller.

I always had a bit of water come out when disconnecting it. Now I use a 45-degree clear elbow so all the water goes into the pump. For hose I use corrugated pond or water feature hose. It's light, coils easily for storage, and is a full 3/4" diameter.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

TURNKEY
Explorer
Explorer
That is what I already said about wipes. What about large 'objects' getting stuck in the FloJet funnel and not making it to the macerator?

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Baby wipe's should not be put through a macerator as they will not tear apart enough and will jam the pump, most anything else will cause no trouble at the pump. Just my thought's.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.