Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New Ford 150s Save the Day in Texas
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> New Ford 150s Save the Day in Texas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Local Ford dealer has a daily car talk show and he was saying yesterday that all the F150s they order for the lot has at least the 2K generator opton. He just knows they will be a top selling option.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rmnpcolorado wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

coolmom42 wrote:

How big are the generators in those? Different sizes?

There are a few different outputs available but roughly equivalent to the portable generators you see used by RVers.

The up charge alone is more than a quality stand alone inverter generator.

Not true - the 2Kw ProPower Onboard is a $995 option. That's right in line with similar size generators. And then you're not hauling around a separate generator and gas can, nor are you filling the tank every 8 hours. To me this will be a no-brainer option to add. I just wish we hadn't just bought a 2020.

The 7.2kw I 'believe' you can order separately (I think it's a $2000Kish option?), but it's more geared to be part of the hybrid model.

The convenience of having the genset built into the truck must be weighed against having the genset built into the truck. If the truck leaves the electricity leaves.....There are times when separating the electric from the truck will be desirable.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ True to form, there's always a devil's advocate scenario.
Maybe I give people who have enough money to buy a $50-60k truck too much credit in the thought process department though....

Like previous conversation(s) about this, it's a compromise, not unlike most every decision tree standing in the middle of the road of life, lol.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/21 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rmnpcolorado wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

coolmom42 wrote:

How big are the generators in those? Different sizes?

There are a few different outputs available but roughly equivalent to the portable generators you see used by RVers.

The up charge alone is more than a quality stand alone inverter generator.

Not true - the 2Kw ProPower Onboard is a $995 option. That's right in line with similar size generators. And then you're not hauling around a separate generator and gas can, nor are you filling the tank every 8 hours. To me this will be a no-brainer option to add. I just wish we hadn't just bought a 2020.

The 7.2kw I 'believe' you can order separately (I think it's a $2000Kish option?), but it's more geared to be part of the hybrid model.

I believe they require a trim upgrade to get these so a bit of hidden costs...but you can get a good quality portable inverter generator for $500. The days of overpaying for a honda or sounding like a lawnmower are long gone.

As someone else mentioned, when you go in to work, the house is without power. Plus you are putting wear and tear on a $50,000 truck vs a $500 generator. I'd be curious to know how much it takes to repair if the custom Ford system fails. If it's like most new vehicle repairs, it will be $2-3,000 because it's custom and integrated.

I'm sure this will result in some sales but it's really not a game changer.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/21 02:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While the frozen , no utility power Texans, are happy to use these trucks at home
I think it makes more sense to working craftsman that uses power tools and goes to many places during the week, than the average non RV person, or construction site worker,
City utility trucks, att etc.., have had 120v mobile power
For many years

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 12:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I can tell all of interest that I am an RV camper and also tent/truck camper in the boonies and I love this for frequent recreation use and emergency use. The others will soon follow ford's lead. This is no brainer and is covered under manf. warranty. After that if it fails and expensive to repair then I will buy a Honda or whatever. Lots of common sense here sports fans. May even lease truck instead of buy. Lots of wonderful options. Cheers and Happy Trails

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> New Ford 150s Save the Day in Texas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.