cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A terrible dinette table. Opinions on modification?

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
So, we sold our big 5th wheel and the big truck a number of years ago...but realized we missed camping, so after renting one last fall and rekindling our love of RV'ing we recently bought a little ultralight unit that we can pull with our cars instead

I find the little trailer very liberating vs the big rig we used to own - no more having to worry about "Can we fit in there" or "Can we get down that road and be able to turn around" etc. We can literally go anywhere without a second thought.

Anyhow, long story short, the dinette setup is terrible. The big square table gives us lots of space, sure, but getting in and out of the dinette requires spinning the table (which really isn't super stable to begin with on the old style pole setup) and/or contortions.

Pictures tell a thousand words.

Making the table round or notching the corners isn't really viable as the table is of course needed for supporting the cushions when the table is folded to the bed.

Moving the receptacle for the pole further back on the bottom of the table will shift the table top back and probably fix the issue (and realistically it'll only ever be the two of us sitting at it anyways so there really needn't be room at the back), but then the table will be off balance and would need some sort of additional support in a place where we really can't provide it due to the design.

I could move the pole bracket on the floor back but that would leave a bunch of big ugly holes in the floor. Of course, if I'm going to remove it anyways I'm sure I could touch it up or disguise it somehow...

Is there some sort of magical solution here that I'm just missing? New leg setup that would work? Anyone got any DIY ideas? Someone thinking outside the box more than I am perhaps?
30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark
25 REPLIES 25

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Thats why the solid wood table is a good idea, after 35 years i would need to learn how to cut laminate again also! Lol.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good idea! I've got to get a router and learn how to use it safely.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Boomer, you are right about the corners. But some dinette tables are not wood -- they are made of MDF, with a plastic overlay. As soon as you cut into the plastic, that ugly MDF shows up -- it is basically compressed cardboard. Not sure if that is true of the OP's table.

The other trick is getting the plastic laminate to cut cleanly. I've tried all sorts of blades on my scroll saw, at various speeds, and have never been satisfied with my work -- there are always chips in the plastic.

Router with laminite blade. At least thats how we did it in shop class 35 years ago.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
So I spoke to some people with the newer generation of my exact Trailer that does have a round table as opposed to rectangular, however at the same time does not have spacers or anything for the gaps the table leaves.

Apparently the secret is that the 2 cushions that go down over the table gap have thin plywood backers between the outside material and the foam. So they become part of the structure and bridge the gap the round table leaves.

Aha!

Mark

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boomer, you are right about the corners. But some dinette tables are not wood -- they are made of MDF, with a plastic overlay. As soon as you cut into the plastic, that ugly MDF shows up -- it is basically compressed cardboard. Not sure if that is true of the OP's table.

The other trick is getting the plastic laminate to cut cleanly. I've tried all sorts of blades on my scroll saw, at various speeds, and have never been satisfied with my work -- there are always chips in the plastic.
About our trailer

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Rounding the corners, even an inch, or two, in radius would make a huge difference in comfort. Four small openings when the table top is in the bed position wonโ€™t matter. Iโ€™d just pencil in the radius using an appropriate round lid off a plastic container and use a belt sander to round it out. A little smoothing with a finishing sander, some dark stain on the wood and done. Keep it simple, and near no cost.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, I'm still reading all the replies and contemplating.

Table looks good Profdant. Certainly gives me ideas - redoing the table entirely with something like that which could be made full size for the bed usage but folded back on itself using piano hinges for dinette use (and not having to worry about unfinished edges) has appeal, absolutely.

As does reducing weight. The table that's in it now has to weight 25-30 pounds, it's freakin unbelievable.

Mark

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Whatever configuration you choose (hinges or sectional or sliding), it is pretty easy to make your own table. I used Baltic birch plywood, which is much lighter than the original table. Here is a blog post -- hope it is useful:

Baltic birch table

PS -- unlike most plywood, the edges on this look great -- they make the Baltic stuff so that the edges can be exposed.

Another one for the "daddy do" list, nice work.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatever configuration you choose (hinges or sectional or sliding), it is pretty easy to make your own table. I used Baltic birch plywood, which is much lighter than the original table. Here is a blog post -- hope it is useful:

Baltic birch table

PS -- unlike most plywood, the edges on this look great -- they make the Baltic stuff so that the edges can be exposed.
About our trailer

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.popupportal.com/threads/too-fat-for-our-dinette.110771/

Someone did this, and its a decent idea. You can change it to fit your needs. Personally, i would do this but with a new table top. Stain and polly it then a coat of wax. Or paint it and do the same. So they just cut the ends and folded them down. But you can see it at the link above.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Sailboat tables come in many folding variants. Searching google for "sail boat dinette table" resulted in several sites including pinterest for ideas, yachttables for custom options (or ideas), . . . etc.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Two more possible solutions:
- On our boat we had a similar table and it had 2 leafs that folded in. Yes, you have to finish them but it looked good and probably 90% of the time, they were folded in as we didn't need the full table.
- Cut a round table to fit your needs and then cut a piece of plywood to act as the filler for the bed...slide the plywood under the seat cushion when not in use.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
Cutting and hinging came to mind, absolutely, but then thereโ€™s the unfinished edge thing to deal with again. But not insurmountable even if I farmed out the job to someone who has the related skills.

Iโ€™d have to come up with a way to latch at least the forward piece up flat against the bottom otherwise itโ€™ll be in the way still getting in and out of the dinette. That wouldnโ€™t be too hard.

Mark

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Replace that tabletop with one that has hinged sections, that you can fold down when not in use. Add an extendable foldup leg section for use when supporting the bed, or use a sufficiently strong piano-type hinge. You could have a fold-down section on one end, or both.

Like this,only proportioned to meet your needs.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board