cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing 2021 Wrangler - Wiring Harness

Wayfarer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting ready to tow a 2021 Wrangler and have been reading various forums about doing this. I've read comments that the Wrangler will disable the lights after the ignition has been turned off for 30 seconds or so thus negating the need for any diodes or switches

If the above is true I'm confused about the need for diodes or switches. I see places advertising their solution for the 2021 Wrangler including diodes or CoolTech which includes a switch.

So how are folks wiring up the 2021 Wrangler? Are diodes or a switch required?

Thanks.
2021 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW
6 REPLIES 6

Wayfarer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Your comments were exactly what I was thinking. When looking at the diagrams I could not figure which end of the connector you are looking at. Since I have never installed any towing harness I do not know how this harness compares in installation difficulty to other harnesses. I believe the difficulty with any of them will be running the harness from front to back.

dsteinman wrote:
I have also installed the Mopar wiring harness. It is complicated mostly because of running the cable from the front to the back through the interior. And you have to get a plastic rivet gun to reinstall the fender liner.

Also, the diagrams do not show which end of the electrical connectors you are looking at. I got it wrong. And I rewired the front to use the standard 6 wire trailer connector.

The harness uses relays for the lights with power coming from the motorhome.

I used the Cooltech hardness on my 2012 JK, but I didn't want to have to remember to use a switch on my 2019 JL.

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
I have also installed the Mopar wiring harness. It is complicated mostly because of running the cable from the front to the back through the interior. And you have to get a plastic rivet gun to reinstall the fender liner.

Also, the diagrams do not show which end of the electrical connectors you are looking at. I got it wrong. And I rewired the front to use the standard 6 wire trailer connector.

The harness uses relays for the lights with power coming from the motorhome.

I used the Cooltech hardness on my 2012 JK, but I didn't want to have to remember to use a switch on my 2019 JL.
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Wayfarer
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at one online and the install instructions. Not sure if it is what you used. Seems to be complicated to install. Not many words just a lot of pictures so maybe not as difficult as it appears. This harness appears not to use any relays or diodes. Price is around $400+ depending on where you buy it.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/rv-towing-harness-jeep-wrangler-jl-82215382

steelhunter wrote:
I used the Mopar harness. Works for brake, turn, and running lights without draining battery.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Steelhunter:
Would you provide the part number you used for the OP's information?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

steelhunter
Explorer
Explorer
I used the Mopar harness. Works for brake, turn, and running lights without draining battery.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
either diodes or separate sockets. Diodes should have brake light relay if auxiliary brake system.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker