cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OBD-i and OBD-ii did a '96-'97 F53 ever have diagnostic plug

genentina
Explorer
Explorer
I have a situation trying to have a smog check done on my F53 chassis, the chassis was Ford built June '96 but the MH is registered as a '97,
and either way the local California smog test station I go to now after smogging it for me over past 20 years now wants to plug in to an OBD-ii connector and there isn't one.

Smog checks are required here every 2 years in order to re-register. The CA Bureau of Automotive repairs lists our 17,000 chassis as having the OBD plug but it isn't there, never has been.

Anyone know a way around this problem?
Get off the phone and drive!
20 REPLIES 20

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably to late but I bought a OBD 1015 reader that plugs into the wires of the EEC. There are two ways to read it. One is by beep counting or the other is by light blinking. It worked great for me. My biggest problem was I was to tight to buy the extention cable that would have made my life so much better.

But what I ended up doing was hooking the scanner up under the doghouse to where I could see the light blinking. Then I took my Ipad and took a movie of the blinks. I then cqme into the house and replayed the video until I had the code. once I got the code I knew exactly what to do to repair my Motorhome.

Mine also was a 1996 Damon that didn't get the OBD upgrade so I have to live with the EEC. I highly recomend the OBD 1015 reader if you can find one. Life saver for the DIY'ers.

Dad
Living The Dream- Not full timing but wintering in Texas
Lifes So Short--Let's go Rv'ing :W

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Found this on another website
the F53 chassis in 1997 was still running EEC IV engine control system due to the GVW of the vehicle exempting it from OBDII requirements. You'll find the EEC IV (DLC) connector on the passenger side near the starter relay. Location varies since coach builder may move it, but should be in that area.

OBD-II became mandatory on a "light duty" vehicles in 1996MY. EEC-V came out about that time. It was necessary to contain all of the extra code mandated by the government.

EEC-IV was carried forward on vehicles that did not require OBD-II for a few years (Lower cost.)

Today, more than 50% of the software in a typical PCM is for diagnostics and monitoring.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Though OBD-II is much more.... capable

ON my old obd-1 GM I could read error codes with a paper clip..

On a Ford, you needed the paper clip and a test light.

genentina
Explorer
Explorer
ya, it is extremely helpful to be able to lean on others here who have answers. Good luck asking a dealer or service place, they seem to understand basic questions only.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
The location of OBD plugs (within 2' of the steering wheel) wasn't standardized till 1996, and even then only for passenger cars. Earlier cars, and RV's up through about '99...crapshoot for location and type of connector. And then of course the "split-year" situation with RVs adds another layer of ??? to the whole thing. My last RV (Class C) was an '88 model RV on an '87 model chassis that was built in '86! Glad the OP was able to find it with help from the forum.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Though OBD-II is much more.... capable

ON my old obd-1 GM I could read error codes with a paper clip..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
genentina wrote:
high on the steering column and under the dash sounds impossible to get access.

I went through both of the Ford manuals on the chassis and there is no mention

of an OBD plug or diagnostics plug anywhere.

OBD-1 where your right knee would be, then forward.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

genentina
Explorer
Explorer
thanks to everyone here, I found it! Very hidden, in a black plastic cap covered in dirt inside the engine bay clipped to the wall on the left side.

big sigh of relieve. old OBD-i. I ordered an OBD-i to -ii connector which has maybe 10 inches of cable, so that I can plug in and close the hatch and still have access to the EEC-IV

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Krusty has is absolutely correct.
Follow his guidance.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
It is made up of two connectors. The main one is about 2" x 1"
and kind of shaped like a trapezoid. It will probably only have 3 of the connector pins used. The second connector is a one wire connector only. They are usually plugged into a black plastic holder that says EEC-IV on it.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

genentina
Explorer
Explorer
Krusty thanks. I'm gonna go look under the front hood and then pull the engine hatch

if I have to. First I'll go look for images of EECIV

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
F53 wasn't OBDII until 1999 model year, which was first year of the V10. Your 460 is still EECIV and has a diagnostic connector under the hood
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Found this on another website
the F53 chassis in 1997 was still running EEC IV engine control system due to the GVW of the vehicle exempting it from OBDII requirements. You'll find the EEC IV (DLC) connector on the passenger side near the starter relay. Location varies since coach builder may move it, but should be in that area.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

genentina
Explorer
Explorer
ok, I'll keep searching. Would it be mentioned in the owners manuals if it has it???