Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical Wire Identification

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Trying to help my dad identify some wiring in his coach for a project. Manufacturer hasn't been any help so I thought I'd try here.

He has two wires that we are trying to identify the wire size. Seems the obvious method would be to use a set of calipers, but he doesn't have any.

Anyway, there are two stranded copper wires, each with different markings. Anyone recognize the markings or format?

Wire 1: "150 FA Ground"
Wire 2: "603c GLY LPS"

I've not been able to find anything.

Thanks in advance!
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E
15 REPLIES 15

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
I can gurantee that the Norcold 12 volt supply line is NOT 10 gauge. Since the 12 volt for your year Model Norcold is just for operating the refer electronic controls, odds are the supply gauge is 16/14 gauge. But, it will NOT be larger than 14 gauge. Doug
That's the bottom line - Bad install on Dad's refer. Correct the wiring and move on, sure he could go back to the installer...

Makes one what else is not correct, insulation, air clearance, support, etc.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a good possibility.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wondered if GLY could be Galley.

Bob

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
They look like factory circuit numbers. Circuit 150 is a factory ground. Circuit 603 is some kind of lamps circuit(I haven't figured out the GLY abbreviation).
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I can gurantee that the Norcold 12 volt supply line is NOT 10 gauge. Since the 12 volt for your year Model Norcold is just for operating the refer electronic controls, odds are the supply gauge is 16/14 gauge. But, it will NOT be larger than 14 gauge. Doug

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seems like the wrong approach to me. Send him to the store and buy an cheap digital voltmeter. Measure the voltage at the refer with the comperssor running, no shore power and battery partially discharged. If it meets mfg specs then wiring is OK. Next repeat but measure at the battery terminals to make sure batteries are OK. Better yet have the batteries load tested. What did he find?

Otherwise measure the distance for new wires and use a wiring calculator to find the wire ga needed for the new wires. And go directly from the refer to the battery with a fuse unless there is some really heavy wire nearby that can be used.

Bob

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
For smaller an adjustable wrench (The one that made crescent famous)

I always thought the rolls made crescent famous.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I checked my wiring diagrams for my rig. They use a different coding.
Factory refer is more likely around 16 gauge.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
OP here, to make a short story long...

Dad's coach is a 07 or 08 Fleetwood Bounder Diesel.

He recently had the 12v JC Refrigeration compressor unit installed and has had several problems with it. I've been helping him troubleshoot the problems.

The latest problem could possibly be a result of excessive voltage drop in the 12v supply to the JC unit. The JC unit is supplied with a connector that plugs directly into the 12v supply wires to the original Norcold unit after the Norcold is unplugged. They also state that the 12v supply wires should be minimum 10 gage. I have doubts that the original factory wiring to the Norcold was 10 gage, thus the question about the markings.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
As said..always go bigger on any manufacturerโ€™s wire size you are replacing.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Image next to a fingernail?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The wire markings idetify the wire's FUNCTION not the size but the purpose.

Beyond that I can not help.. For BIG I"m tlaking battery size big. a ruler might help
For smaller an adjustable wrench (The one that made crescent famous)

Then measure the gap in the jaws or take it (Tape over the adjuster) to the store with you.

NOTE if you are trying to add to or replace a 18 ga wire and all you have is 16 or 14. NO PROBLEM. the other way around PROBLEM You can always "Go big"
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP: Please post make and model of your dad's coach

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Are the markings printed on the wire as if from the wire manufacturer? Or is he talking about printed labels that were possibly installed by the coach manufacturer? I only ask because a 1/0 wire is a big wire which I find hard to believe is in a factory built RV.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup