cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2021 Yellowstone / Teton Road Trip

DB_Cooper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for recommendations for campsites or RV sites in late August for a 32ft travel trailer. We are set up for boondocking but will likely need access to water and a dump station at some point. I'm leaning toward staying near Teton and taking day trips to Yellowstone due to availability. Colton Bay has some dry sites available but everything close to Yellowstone is pretty much sold out. (especially sites with water and power) I've never been there, so I'm unsure about roads/traffic coming in from the west (through Idaho Falls). Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

DB_Cooper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. It looks like Gros Ventre is going to be it.

DB_Cooper
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Before you consider Gros Ventre, evaluate your comfort and expertise in backing into tight spaces. If you need a lot of room, go somewhere else.
They still have non-electric sites available. I'm okay with tight spaces as long as the web site is accurate. We have a few campgrounds in Oregon that have some confusion about how to use a tape measure. It looks like this would be about 1.5 hours from Yellowstone. Thanks.

DB_Cooper
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Have you checked Headwaters Campground at Flagg Ranch between Teton and Yellowstone?
Yes - it's booked through Sept. That would have been my first choice. Thanks.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Before you consider Gros Ventre, evaluate your comfort and expertise in backing into tight spaces. If you need a lot of room, go somewhere else.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Have you checked Headwaters Campground at Flagg Ranch between Teton and Yellowstone?

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
For Tetons, you should try to make reservations at Gros Ventre campground. There is water and a dump station there. Then you should make reservations at or near West Yellowstone because it sits right on the Park's west gate.
And the best way to get there is through Yellowstone Park.
If you can't find a site in West Yellowstone, look at Henry's Lake State Park which is 15 miles south of town and just over the Idaho state line and is very nice and has water, dump and elec hookups if you're lucky to get one of them.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of FS CG's between Alpine Junction, WY and Jackson, along the Snake River. Could be hot at that time of year though. Wolf Creek CG has nice spacious sites. There are some CG's between Jackson and Yellowstone outside of Grant Teton. Check out Atherton Creek CG East of Moose and past Gros Ventre CG. It's on a lake. We often stay off the Togwotee Pass at Falls CG. It has two loops, one dry and one with electricity. There is water, but you have to haul it. Both loops have pull throughs. We really wanted to stay at Sheffield CG just south of Flagg Ranch, but since we have a FW, the trees were too low at the opening to get in without fear of scratching our roof. A TT would be alright though. We drove in and really liked it, even though some were leery of the entrance over the creek.

Go to Campendium and type in Jackson, WY and a lot of different sites will come up. It's a free site, so if you don't have an account, add one. In some cases, reviewers will have posted a pic.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton