cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Replacement Question

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to replace the tires on our travel trailer. Just doing this as a preventative step so that we can hopefully avoid any tire-related travel issues. I plan to go with Goodyear.

At 34 feet, our camper is pretty long. Most tire shops seem to be meant for cars, not RVs. I replaced a set on our last camper which was smaller. We barely fit in the shop's parking area.

I called an RV dealer who could do the work. But, the quoted price seemed really high. Tires were priced at $250 per tire for four tires + a spare. They wanted about $400 to mount them; an estimated 30 minutes per tire times their shop fee of $165/hour.

My question is, what tips or advice do you have for finding a RV friendly tire shop?

Thanks in advance.
2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living
34 REPLIES 34

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you call the tire store? I bet you get a better out the door price and they will be happy to accommodate your trailer.

Foggy
Explorer
Explorer
Check the manufacture date marked on the tire. You are probably not going to wear your tires out but will need to replace them due to age/rot. A year or more setting in a warehouse is less useful time for you.
Happy-Trails
Foggy

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
"The price you were quoted seems high but there seems to be some price gouging going on."

You can buy the tires on the Good Year site for $121 bucks. How much does it cost to change a tire?

I'd say some price gouging is going on...

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Good to hear, glad you got it done! Great choice!

Thought maybe the children above, were keeping you from returning.

Jerry

LOL
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
So Grit my man,

Did you know when comparing load ratings between ST and LT tires, we are really comparing apples and oranges?

I talked to a the manager at Les Schwab yesterday (having my wife's car aligned and rotated the tires) and naturally we discussed LT vs ST tires.

He laughed and said, the DOT Standards for ST tires are not the same as passenger and LT tires. Around 2000, the tire and RV industry fought DOT to exclude ST and most commercial tires from the new rigorous testing requirements.

So I went to the CFRs and guess what, he is right.

ST tires are governed by a 48 year old, "20th Century" DOT testing requirements (Nov 13, 1973) and have never been revised. That would be during the era of double nickel speed limits and odd/even day gas rationing. https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=aba3fbd2309d865cce127033c4dbd2d0&mc=true&node=se49.6.571_1...

Passenger and Light Truck tires are governed "21st Century" DOT testing requirements (Nov 18, 2002, revised for the 6th time on Jan 6, 2012). https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=aba3fbd2309d865cce127033c4dbd2d0&mc=true&node=se49.6.571_1...

The Les Schwab manager said, ST tires have been made the same way for years, but do to a loophole in calculating maximum tire loads, years ago they were all increased by 10%. Nothing changed, same tire, same rubber--but overnight the load ratings all increased by 10%.

Why? Because they rely on the different 1972 DOT testing standards. What if they were tested using the new DOT standards? He couldn't say, but suggested it was all about money.

Hmmm, makes you wonder "why did the RV and tire industry fight to exempt ST tires from the new DOT test requirements?"

I asked him what tires does he suggest for TT--ST or LT, he said, "whatever the customer wants, both are safe".

LOL, it always about money.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good to hear, glad you got it done! Great choice!

Thought maybe the children above, were keeping you from returning.

Jerry

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All. Thanks for the tire replacement recommendations.

Just wanted to provide an update. I checked out Discount Tire. They have a relatively new location near me. While the lot isn't huge, they directed me to park next to the building blocking only the last bay. With two entrances to the main road, I could pull in from one end and leave from the other - no backing needed. In about 30 minutes, a crew had replaced the tires.

Old tires: Westlake ST225/75R15. Load E. Speed L.
New tires: Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15. Load E. Speed N.

I had them install metal valve stems as I am planning to add a tire pressure monitoring system.

Tires have a six year warranty.

Per tire price $134 + about $45 for installation, disposal, etc.
2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not minuta, but itโ€™s easy to try to deflect when youโ€™re being defensive.
So letโ€™s keep it simple and objective.
Find the load specs for the best 14โ€ LT tire and 14โ€ ST tire and do the same for 15โ€.
Youโ€™ll understand what Iโ€™m saying then.
And Iโ€™m not discrediting your experience, as you appear to be mine, but Iโ€™ve made a living maintaining a fleet of light trailers through high school and juco. And made a living that involves frequent use of light and heavy trailers, as well as owning probably a dozen or more over the years for personal use.
So I understand as well as anyone what works best and what doesnโ€™t. I never try to mis lead anyone, but rather educate them, as I get educated about things I am not proficient or knowledgeable about.
Good day!

PS, your posts would be better received if you could put away the witty personal attacks. Itโ€™s unprofessional. I donโ€™t care but some people may take it to heart.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think arguing over minutia is boring and counter productive and I hope you think the same.

I expressed my experiences and you expressed your opinions, it is that simple.

And yes in this world, there are leaders (contrarian out of the box thinkers, we don't follow the pack and the first to challenge the status quo), there are followers (those that always color within the lines, are obedient to the status quo and never challenge authority), there are do-nothing takers (gimme, gimme, gimme...a liability to society and they "get the honey"*), and there are givers (we help those that cannot help themselves...an asset to society and we usually "sing the blues"*).

* Too Rolling Stoned, Robin Trower
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Timmo! wrote:

So I see I got your goat; fancy that. Guess we are not very "gritty dog", are we? Pussycat maybe.

You are right, neither of us know the size of the OP's tires. So I guess we can discount most of your diatribe, since you don't know.

But I do know the size of my TT tires and shared my real life experiences with my 15" TT tires. If you had some experiences with LT tires, then I am sure you would have shared those; but you didn't. Instead, you attempted to discredit my personal experiences and facts.

My experiences with LT tires has been great and I shared exactly why I made my choice. You can opine all you want, but that does not change the positive experiences I and others have with LT tires. Just as people have had good experiences with ST tires. One size does not fit all.

I guess a few thousand of us TT owners with LT tires never got the memo declaring the LT tire Bandwagon is over. So the LT debate had been settled a decades ago...by who? BTW, when did GY stop producing Marathons? Hmm, not decades ago.

Yes, Timmo and his posse camp mostly off the beaten path (boonies) and sometimes a brief weekend stay those smaller campgrounds. Places where we can slip our 20' TT in tiny camp sites usually occupied by tent campers. I think the last time we stayed in an RV park with paved roads, concrete pads, and connections for water, electric and sewer was way back in 1999; before we bought our Nash.

In our travels, snow chains on the TT were needed many times to travel between spots--hmm. Imagine that! Not everyone camps like "The Grit Doggie" at cushy campgrounds.

And...when a person changes a civil discussion on TT tire facts and shared personal experiences, and then attempts to downgrade it to another silly kindergarten sandbox name calling game, then one must be out ammo (no more facts). It must be frustrating have a deficit of LT tire facts and/or experiences, and instead of making friendly contributions--one resorts to attacking the person instead. Yep, out of ammo.

BTW, all my women affectionately call me Timmy. Just so you know where you stand.

First, I apologize for the mis-spelling of your name. Whoda thunk that Timmo might autocorrect to an actual word like Timmy?
Anyway, no one is upset on this end of the internet. It's just that you don't know what you're talking about, and think "your" way is the best way, when it's not.
I just try to keep people from making mistakes due to the proliferation of bad intel here, like "don't use ST tires, not rated for high enough speed and loading."
Which is about 99.5% horse manure.

I'll summarize:
14 or 15"? Doesn't matter. 14" LTs are non existent, so, whatever.
15" LTs are rare and if load rating is a concern, 15" ST tires can be had in MUCH higher load ratings than vehicle tires.
The rest doesn't matter, but regarding Goodyear marathons, yup I figured out those were junk back in about 2003 or 04, so not quite "decades", but more than a decade. Besides there were great ST replacement tires for those back then as well as actual LT options in 14" and 15". But alas the world seems to have passed you by since then because noone has made a passenger vehicle that "needs" any sort of LT tire in those small rim sizes in this century, save for maybe the compact pickups that someone wants to overload.
Back when full size trucks had 15" wheels heavy duty tires in those sizes were common.

And rather than explain why you think the actual data I posted is wrong, you do the 2nd grade name calling game.
Cheers Timmy! I mean Timmo!

And fwiw I never discredited your experience with your tires, just said it's bad "general" advice, as you threw it out there in your first post. And it still is. Will a 15" HT tire "work" in certain scenarios and even work well? I have no doubt tht it will, but allow me to clue you in to something. Feel free to use this in other life decisions as well. If "everyone else" and "the industry" are all doing something differently than you do, maybe it's time to at least question what you're doing. At very least don't broadcast it as the "best" way to do something when you're not well informed of the other options out there.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Not exaggerating Timmy!

First, you donโ€™t know if the OP has 14s or 15s. 14s donโ€™t have squat in LT tires. Not even an option really. And since you didnโ€™t specify your were speaking exclusively about 15s then yes it was horrible advice.
15s, about the best you can do is the 2150 lb cap in a LT tire.
Your Enduranceโ€™s are a smaller tire with a little more capacity. 55lbs per your post.
But you can get 225 size (1/2โ€ larger diameter) up to 2800+ pound capacity.
So yes you can get a truck tire that is decent I suppose in a 15โ€ size but you can get a ST tire that has almost 700lbs more capacity per tire.
And if the OP has 15s on a trailer with 5200lb axles the truck tires canโ€™t do the job up to the max weight that could be on the trailer.

Next time check all your facts.

By the way speed rating is a non issue. Unless youโ€™re comparing to the cheapest trailer tires on the market. And tread depth/tread wear isnโ€™t either, unless you happen to be the one person out of most who actually puts, say 30-40k miles on your trailer tires before they age out.
AND deeper tread depth is NOT preferable unless off road or in snow for a trailer. Creates more (insignificant amount likely, but itโ€™s there) instability and more tire scrub in tight turns.

Btw, the LT tire bandwagon for small trailer tires lost its wheels a decade or 2 ago, so it might be time to get off the ride!

So I see I got your goat; fancy that. Guess we are not very "gritty dog", are we? Pussycat maybe.

You are right, neither of us know the size of the OP's tires. So I guess we can discount most of your diatribe, since you don't know.

But I do know the size of my TT tires and shared my real life experiences with my 15" TT tires. If you had some experiences with LT tires, then I am sure you would have shared those; but you didn't. Instead, you attempted to discredit my personal experiences and facts.

My experiences with LT tires has been great and I shared exactly why I made my choice. You can opine all you want, but that does not change the positive experiences I and others have with LT tires. Just as people have had good experiences with ST tires. One size does not fit all.

I guess a few thousand of us TT owners with LT tires never got the memo declaring the LT tire Bandwagon is over. So the LT debate had been settled a decades ago...by who? BTW, when did GY stop producing Marathons? Hmm, not decades ago.

Yes, Timmo and his posse camp mostly off the beaten path (boonies) and sometimes a brief weekend stay those smaller campgrounds. Places where we can slip our 20' TT in tiny camp sites usually occupied by tent campers. I think the last time we stayed in an RV park with paved roads, concrete pads, and connections for water, electric and sewer was way back in 1999; before we bought our Nash.

In our travels, snow chains on the TT were needed many times to travel between spots--hmm. Imagine that! Not everyone camps like "The Grit Doggie" at cushy campgrounds.

And...when a person changes a civil discussion on TT tire facts and shared personal experiences, and then attempts to downgrade it to another silly kindergarten sandbox name calling game, then one must be out ammo (no more facts). It must be frustrating have a deficit of LT tire facts and/or experiences, and instead of making friendly contributions--one resorts to attacking the person instead. Yep, out of ammo.

BTW, all my women affectionately call me Timmy. Just so you know where you stand.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Talk to the local tire dealer, he has probably done trailers before. If they are close, they may be willing to do it at your house.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP hasn't come back. But he is getting ripped off somewhere. I order mine from Discount tire direct and local guy mounts them for $15 a wheel. Just put 6 Firestones on my duelly $700.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
canoe on top wrote:
I think the Endurance addresses those issues and has the advantages of an ST tire.

An ST Edurance tire of a given size has a higher load rating than the same size tires I replaced (from Les Schwab) on my 8.5 x 20 cargo trailer as shown in this video
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator