Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

not sure where to post this.....

huskyfan68
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it's RV related (sort of...)
I have a 2009 F150 towing a 22' Wildwood. I would like to purchase a golf cart for campground use.
I believe a standard cart is a little less that 4' wide and should fit with tailgate down....
Here are my 2 questions:
1. Can you still tow a TT with the tailgate down?
2. Can you drive an electric cart up into a pickup with ramps?- Meaning does it have enough power to get up into the bed..
19 REPLIES 19

huskyfan68
Explorer
Explorer
thanks- i think the way to go is with something like the Cricket carts. they are much smaller and lighter (300lbs)- I believe one will fit with the tailgate closed but will confirm. Yes I am aware not all CG allow. Most of the ones I go to do- The ones that don't- i will leave it home

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
PastorCharlie wrote:
A cart can be loaded with or without a tailgate.

With a long bed, yes.

With a short bed, you need the tailgate or an axle will hang off the end of the bed.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 7,000 lb. construction trailer with the flip up jack. Pull pin and the jack will fold up along side of tongue.

Removing the tail gate is a two minute job.

A cart can be loaded with or without a tailgate.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
JimBollman wrote:
Assuming weight and other clearances check out here is a possible fix for the trailer jack being in the way of the tailgate. I bought Jack-E-Up for my car trailer so I could drop the tailgate with the trailer attached. Works good. http://jebs-stuff.com/Camping/Jack-E-Up.jpg

Just get a boat trailer jack. You pull a pin and they rotate 90 degrees to be flush with the A-frame arm. It's a 22ft trailer so likely only 500lb hitch weight loaded.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming weight and other clearances check out here is a possible fix for the trailer jack being in the way of the tailgate. I bought Jack-E-Up for my car trailer so I could drop the tailgate with the trailer attached. Works good. http://jebs-stuff.com/Camping/Jack-E-Up.jpg

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
dodge guy wrote:
In a short bed the tailgate will hit the Jack. If you donโ€™t have a tall Jack the corners of the tailgate will be driven into the front of the trailer.

However....after you load the golf cart into the F150, what are you going to use to tow the trailer?

Depends. Some trailer A-frames are longer than others.

We have a short bed (but that's a sore wound). We can lower the tailgate while hooked up without hitting the jack. Going down the road on typical turns at intersections, the tailgate wouldn't be an issue. We could probably get the truck at a 30degree angle to the trailer before we would have to worry about hitting anything, so it would take a little extra care backing into a tight spot but generally doable.

The OP would need to check out the dimensions on his setup to be sure.

I assume after loading the golf cart, he is planning to tow with the F150. It's the feasibility issues, he's trying to work out.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also , you can take the jack off and rig it to go off and on quick with thumb bolts !

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Do they make golf carts with lithium batteries? That might help with the weight.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Besides the Technical aspects already mentioned, you might want to consider the fact that not all CG's, public or private, allow golf carts, unless you're only going to a specific one that you know does.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
huskyfan68 wrote:
thanks- so I guess a good follow up question would be- would it work with the tailgate removed?

A follow up response would be, measure length of golf cart, measure length of bed, see if tailgate hits trailer jack and check your payload vs all the weights.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
In a short bed the tailgate will hit the Jack. If you donโ€™t have a tall Jack the corners of the tailgate will be driven into the front of the trailer.

However....after you load the golf cart into the F150, what are you going to use to tow the trailer?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
huskyfan68 wrote:
Yes it's RV related (sort of...)
I have a 2009 F150 towing a 22' Wildwood. I would like to purchase a golf cart for campground use.
I believe a standard cart is a little less that 4' wide and should fit with tailgate down....
Here are my 2 questions:
1. Can you still tow a TT with the tailgate down?
2. Can you drive an electric cart up into a pickup with ramps?- Meaning does it have enough power to get up into the bed..

Hook up, lower the tailgate and start backing up to see how sharp you can turn. It might be Ok. It might NOT. It may be possible to get a hitch extension since it's a small relatively light travel trailer which would help push the pivot point back.

Yes, you can drive it up ramps into the back of a pickup. With a long bed, it should be possible to close the tailgate.

The bigger issue is payload. Gas golf carts are upwards of 600lbs and electric carts can be upwards of 1200lbs (batteries are heavy). Good chance by the time you load up the truck with people and gear, add the cart and add the hitch weight, you are over a 1/2 ton trucks payload.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with fj12ryder and Second Chance. As much argument as there is on this forum about whether an F-150 even has enough payload to tow a decent sized TT, putting a golf cart in the truck bed is guaranteed to throw you FAR over the payload limits when the TT is also hooked up. Note that Lakeland Bob at least had an F-250 (equivalent) when he got his.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lakeland_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
There is a cart made to do just what you are asking for. It's called a Cricket" https://cricketminigolfcarts.com/cricket-golf-cart-models/.

We had one and carried it in our 2500. It compacts for transport at 58" by 32" and weighs 330lbs + any accessories. They are very well made, use some standard parts. However, they can be a little tippy due to their narrow wheel base. They will carry 4 people and get around pretty quick.

We found ours on Craigslist for $2400 and sold it latter for $2600.