cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wonder if truck makers will start making 10001 # 1/2 tons.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Interesting read. Washington state, Any new vehicles under 10000 pound scale weight can not have a tail pipe. Proposed bill.

https://electrek.co/2021/02/23/washington-state-advances-bill-to-ban-gas-cars-by-2030-one-upping-cal...
74 REPLIES 74

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Reisender wrote:

Although an intriguing idea, all EV’s are designed to not function when plugged in. That prevents people from driving away while hooked up to a charging station. It would also have to be a substantial generator.

Yah I get that. But I think they may have a challenge breaking both the manufacturers code and the charging standards code. Hackers could do it, but most back yard mechanics are probably not up to the challenge. As well, onboard chargers are usually limited to 8 to 11.5 KW.

Cheers.

8-11 kw,,,,, have not even tried the math but, since youre a proponent of these units and do seem to like the tech side of it,,,,,
If someone had a 3000 watt genny feeding the tesla truck, (or even a 3) while it was being driven, how much in theory, would it extend the range?
This is likely to become a real business in time.

No idea. But it has a lot to do with wether you are going up or down hill, speed, etc. I would think an Onan quiet diesel, 12 kw unit would be somewhat effective. Really don’t know. I know the lifetime average for our old leaf was 6.4 km from 1 KWH. I would think a truck pulling a trailer would be a lot less but don’t know how much. Heck. We just drive em. :).

The Cybertruck trimotor is supposed to have 500 miles of range (800 kilometers). I think it would be easier to just make a bigger battery pack than add a generator. A generator and fuel would probably add 500 pounds. Just add 500 pounds of batteries and go further. Much simpler engineering. EV’s are changing so fast. 10 years ago EV’s had a quarter of the range and took three times longer to charge than they do today. The most commonly sold EV’s sold today have 550 kilometers (350 miles) of EPA range and the average V3 Supercharger stop is less than 20 minutes. Where will they be in 10 years. :).

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:

Although an intriguing idea, all EV’s are designed to not function when plugged in. That prevents people from driving away while hooked up to a charging station. It would also have to be a substantial generator.

Yah I get that. But I think they may have a challenge breaking both the manufacturers code and the charging standards code. Hackers could do it, but most back yard mechanics are probably not up to the challenge. As well, onboard chargers are usually limited to 8 to 11.5 KW.

Cheers.

8-11 kw,,,,, have not even tried the math but, since youre a proponent of these units and do seem to like the tech side of it,,,,,
If someone had a 3000 watt genny feeding the tesla truck, (or even a 3) while it was being driven, how much in theory, would it extend the range?
This is likely to become a real business in time.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Reisender wrote:
For those of you that want to pull a trailer with your EV, Some trailer maker will outfit a toyhauler type trailer with a generator for when you are camping, that will also have an umbilical to charge the truck while going down the road, And those small engines, and industrial units don't have to meet all the enviro-whacko rules that auto's and light trucks do, so you will likely see the pollution actually get worse in some cases, although they will be a small percentage of the total number of vehicles out there, and you can still pat yourself on the back for saving the world.

EV’s have gauges indicating charge state. They won’t need to be charged while driving anymore than an ICE needs a connection to a tanker while going down the road.

Didn't say it would be capable of 100 % of needs when in use. But an enterprising person WILL no doubt find a way to circumvent your safety cutouts, and extend his daily range by maybe 25-50%.
And the ICE vehicle doesn't NEED a tanker, refueling takes only a few minutes every six hours or so, until they match that, the EV is at a disadvantage that some people will seek to overcome by a means such as this.

Cheers.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
For those of you that want to pull a trailer with your EV, Some trailer maker will outfit a toyhauler type trailer with a generator for when you are camping, that will also have an umbilical to charge the truck while going down the road, And those small engines, and industrial units don't have to meet all the enviro-whacko rules that auto's and light trucks do, so you will likely see the pollution actually get worse in some cases, although they will be a small percentage of the total number of vehicles out there, and you can still pat yourself on the back for saving the world.

EV’s have gauges indicating charge state. They won’t need to be charged while driving anymore than an ICE needs a connection to a tanker while going down the road.

Didn't say it would be capable of 100 % of needs when in use. But an enterprising person WILL no doubt find a way to circumvent your safety cutouts, and extend his daily range by maybe 25-50%.
And the ICE vehicle doesn't NEED a tanker, refueling takes only a few minutes every six hours or so, until they match that, the EV is at a disadvantage that some people will seek to overcome by a means such as this.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or go with a battery in the trailer to supplement power and recapture braking effort. Battery of course would extend your range assuming you can plug it in to start with a full charge.

https://newatlas.com/outdoors/ozx-self-powered-camper-trailer/

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyJ wrote:
I'm afraid of the latter. It'll be a while before an affordable battery pack can replace fossil fuel for towing / constant power applications.

A Model 3 may take 10hp (7.46 kW) doing a slow 55 mph cruise, which is why EVs will quickly replace all commuters.

But an 18k toy hauler probably requires an average 100kw at freeway speeds. Even with 200 kWh pack, we're talking 2 hours before recharging. Then factor in the fact that commutes are nearly always less than a hour, while annual camping trips are almost always further than 2 hrs. HD pickups may be a niche where EVs application doesn't work so well.
affordable probably depends on how much it is used. Tesla Semi rolling every day is supposed to be very low cost compared to diesel. MH for a few weekends a year and two weeks in the summer may not be practical. Full time with lots of miles could start to make economic sense. Might make better sense as a rental that gets more miles.

Hard to tell until we hear comments on the Semi after it rolls for a year and see what is said.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
RoyJ wrote:
Reisender wrote:

I tend to agree. But those with deeper pockets may get something like Tesla’s baby semi. That would work. Depending how people tour the charge time might not be an issue. Wouldn’t be for us. Then again. A long day on the road in the Motorhome for us is 600 km.

Just sayin.

If we're willing to do a lifestyle change, like adapting to Euro / Aussie "caravans", then a 200 kWh tow rig could work.

I'd imagine a 4000 lbs folding travel trailer (same height as the truck), will push power requirements below 50kW. That's 4 hour or ~280 mile range @ 70 mph. Drop cruising speed to 55 mph and we may squeeze out 350 miles.

Then, as long as you stay in an RV camp, you'd have roughly 4kW of charging power. Stay 2 - 3 days and you can travel again.

But getting North Americans to accept a smaller trailers and 55 mph speeds would be the hardest part...

Yah I hear ya. But then again, we never tow over 90 KMH anyway. And in California its the law at 55 mph for towing.

Funny. Our old GMC 3/4 ton with a 350 could never tow our little fifth wheel more than 200 miles without needing a gas station. We towed across the country to quebec city once. Holy carp. There was some serious range anxiety in northern ontario. Gas stations can be scarce up there. 🙂 That thing was pure junk. We sold it right about the end of the 3 year warranty.

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:

I tend to agree. But those with deeper pockets may get something like Tesla’s baby semi. That would work. Depending how people tour the charge time might not be an issue. Wouldn’t be for us. Then again. A long day on the road in the Motorhome for us is 600 km.

Just sayin.

If we're willing to do a lifestyle change, like adapting to Euro / Aussie "caravans", then a 200 kWh tow rig could work.

I'd imagine a 4000 lbs folding travel trailer (same height as the truck), will push power requirements below 50kW. That's 4 hour or ~280 mile range @ 70 mph. Drop cruising speed to 55 mph and we may squeeze out 350 miles.

Then, as long as you stay in an RV camp, you'd have roughly 4kW of charging power. Stay 2 - 3 days and you can travel again.

But getting North Americans to accept a smaller trailers and 55 mph speeds would be the hardest part...

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
RoyJ wrote:
otrfun wrote:
I wonder what will happen to the resale value of Class 2/3/4 diesel trucks when the Big 3 announce they will no longer spend R&D funds on future FF development. No more torque wars 😞 No doubt this will probably be announced sometime in the next 10 years or so.

Will the resale value of these Class 2/3/4 diesel trucks 1) go up because they will be prized for their range and power, or 2) will their resale value drop because battery technology will provide the same range and power?

Or, will large RV's be a thing of the past? Will the RV industry be forced to copy the European model?

I'm afraid of the latter. It'll be a while before an affordable battery pack can replace fossil fuel for towing / constant power applications.

A Model 3 may take 10hp (7.46 kW) doing a slow 55 mph cruise, which is why EVs will quickly replace all commuters.

But an 18k toy hauler probably requires an average 100kw at freeway speeds. Even with 200 kWh pack, we're talking 2 hours before recharging. Then factor in the fact that commutes are nearly always less than a hour, while annual camping trips are almost always further than 2 hrs. HD pickups may be a niche where EVs application doesn't work so well.

You'll need a

Just sayin.

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
I wonder what will happen to the resale value of Class 2/3/4 diesel trucks when the Big 3 announce they will no longer spend R&D funds on future FF development. No more torque wars 😞 No doubt this will probably be announced sometime in the next 10 years or so.

Will the resale value of these Class 2/3/4 diesel trucks 1) go up because they will be prized for their range and power, or 2) will their resale value drop because battery technology will provide the same range and power?

Or, will large RV's be a thing of the past? Will the RV industry be forced to copy the European model?

You'll need a

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
RobWNY wrote:
free radical wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
They have to make these EV make noise. People don't pay attention now! Everyone walking down the street has their head down staring at their cell phone or their ear buds in. In 15 years, who knows what the high tech thing will be occupying everyone's attention. It's a recipe for disaster for pedestrians and bicyclists to have vehicles that are basically silent.

Shouldnt be too dificult :B

https://youtu.be/4NgSZ8sjDgU

That sound made me start singing "Meet George Jetson... His Boy Elroy...Daughter Judy...Jane his wife." LOL

🙂

With my wifes Tesla you can substitute the outside noise with a wave file. She uses the knightrider woosh woosh sound with the theme song in the background. Gets laughs in parking lots when we summon the car. People kind of freak out when they see a car driving up to the front of home depot with nobody in the drivers seat. Way fun. 🙂

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
They have to make these EV make noise. People don't pay attention now! Everyone walking down the street has their head down staring at their cell phone or their ear buds in. In 15 years, who knows what the high tech thing will be occupying everyone's attention. It's a recipe for disaster for pedestrians and bicyclists to have vehicles that are basically silent.

Shouldnt be too dificult :B

https://youtu.be/4NgSZ8sjDgU

That sound made me start singing "Meet George Jetson... His Boy Elroy...Daughter Judy...Jane his wife." LOL
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.