Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Year buying out Cooper tires

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Goodyear to Acquire Cooper Tire
February 22, 2021 • by Trucking Info Staff

After closing in the second half of the year, the combined tire company will be headquartered in Akron, Ohio. - Photo: Goodyear
After closing in the second half of the year, the combined tire company will be headquartered in Akron, Ohio.
Photo: Goodyear
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. has entered into a definitive transaction agreement to acquire Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. in a deal valued at about $2.8 billion. The transaction, subject to customary closing conditions, is expected to close in the second half of the year.

The acquisition will expand Goodyear’s product offering by combining two portfolios of complementary brands. It will also create a stronger U.S.-based manufacturer with increased presence in distribution and retail channels while combining both companies’ strengths in the light truck and SUV product segments, Goodyear officials said in a press release.

Copper’s company portfolio of brands includes Cooper, Mastercraft, Roadmaster and Mickey Thompson.

Times are difficult. GPS fleet tracking helps make them easier.
Speak with top providers and receive pricing information to begin putting money back towards your bottom line.?
How many vehicles do you need to track? *
1-45-910-4950-99100-249250+
CONTINUE
“The addition of Cooper’s complementary tire product portfolio and highly capable manufacturing assets, coupled with Goodyear’s technology and industry leading distribution, provides the combined company with opportunities for improved cost efficiency and a broader offering for both companies’ retailer networks,” said Richard Kramer, Goodyear chairman, chief executive officer and president

After closing, the combined company will be headquartered in Akron, Ohio, but Goodyear expects to maintain a presence in Findlay, Ohio.

The companies are preparing for integration focused on continuity of manufacturing, operations and customer service, company officials said.

The combined company will have approximately $17.5 billion in pro forma 2019 sales.

Under the terms of the transaction, Cooper shareholders will receive $41.75 per share in cash and a fixed exchange ratio of 0.907 shares of Goodyear common stock per Cooper share for a total equity value of approximately $2.8 billion. Based on Goodyear’s closing stock price on February 19, the last trading day prior to the announcement, the implied cash and stock consideration to be received by Cooper shareholders is $54.36 per share. Upon closing of the transaction, Goodyear shareholders will own approximately 84% of the combined company, and Cooper shareholders will own approximately 16%.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
15 REPLIES 15

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have long questioned some of the GY lines like Wrangler that serve top to bottom and defeating the marketing. Hopefully GY will figure out to keep their top line separate and use the Cooper name for mid line branding/marketing. May still need a low priced value line.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hate that, I really like the 2 sets I’ve had on my truck, and the set on my Jeep. Felt like I was supporting the little guy and American made.

Hopefully they will stay good quality.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

blt2ski
Jim

I liked the SRM II for trailers too. Worked well on my rigs for the front steer axel. Usually went with a more traction oriented for rears.

Sorry to see that one go away.

Been happy with the AT3 on my C2500 that the engine blew on........

The SRA on new rig did ok in snow yesterday skiing with my sons for there B-day at Baker.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I’ve got a set of Cooper Cobra G/Ts on a classic car. Great tires and they have a good following. I hope they continue to make them. Had Goodyear Eagle GTs and Eagle GT+4s years ago but have not followed Goodyear’s offerings lately.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Coopers for years mostly on trailer with 5.2k and 6k axles. Cooper like other USA tire makers has many lines of P/LT/AT/MS/HT tires so having issue with one line of any brand tire doesn't mean all lines within that brand are bad.
For years Coopers commercial grade in a 16" LT E HT was the SRM II. Good for 40k-60k on my trailers. These were discontinued several years back and now Cooper's newest commercial grade is a Discoverer HT 3 in the same size/load range all season tread.....still get the same miles and same trouble free service.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

penguin149
Explorer
Explorer
I've had Cooper tire before...good tire at a decent price. Guess you gotta diversify these days

GY Diversity Training
2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 5.6L V8 4WD - 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I like Cooper tires. Have them on my Jetta and my old Mustang. I mounted and balanced them and they are first rate tires for sure. The hankook that came off the Jetta were really thin feeling compared to the coopers and the BFGs that were on the Mustang were 12 years old so they were just unsafe. Lol
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have Cooper tires on both of my vehicles, and will purchase them again.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
Oh dear. Hope cooper quality does not suffer.

Marty

Hopefully they won't use the same mold as the G614's :B

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Used to run Cooper on all my trucks/Broncos in the 1980's/1990's

Great tire---then!

After no longer FTng and time for new shoes I decided to not go with Michelin and get a set of Coopers

Hate them.......will not use Cooper again
They are NOT same Cooper as before
Can't see GY Improving them

On cold mornings they feel square until they Finally warm up then a bit better
They do NOT wear as well as the Michelins did
And had to have tire shop re-balance/rotate on rim/balance and try again
They had a tough time getting them balanced W/O hanging HUGE amounts of weights

Nope.....Cooper are NOT the same Coopers

my experience with Cooper tires has been much the same, I've had sets on different cars and trucks and they have al left me disappointed with wear issues, trouble balancing and poor performance. I'll stick with other brands for now.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Used to run Cooper on all my trucks/Broncos in the 1980's/1990's

Great tire---then!

After no longer FTng and time for new shoes I decided to not go with Michelin and get a set of Coopers

Hate them.......will not use Cooper again
They are NOT same Cooper as before
Can't see GY Improving them

On cold mornings they feel square until they Finally warm up then a bit better
They do NOT wear as well as the Michelins did
And had to have tire shop re-balance/rotate on rim/balance and try again
They had a tough time getting them balanced W/O hanging HUGE amounts of weights

Nope.....Cooper are NOT the same Coopers
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Cooper does have a very good reputation and their tires are good quality and good value for the price. There are also a lot of "house brand" tires that are made by cooper.

Personally I think they suffer from not being a large well known international brand and hence often get overlooked by people looking for quality tires.

Hope that only get better with the merger, not worse!
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:

Marty

Indeed. Put them on my truck, used them on the wife's car, quality tire but not insanely expensive.

But does this mean an end to those weird as hell Cooper commercials?

blt2ski

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer