Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fulltime 5er to MH - Help?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Fulltime 5er to MH - Help?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, you may consider a used Prevost Band hauler. Those coaches are designed to carry a bunch of entertainers with a bunch of amenities. You would have to do some mods inside, but lots of room and sleeping quarters at reasonable price

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

OH BOY, Most diesel pushers are designed for cocktails for six, dinner for four, and sleep too. There is not a gas Motorhome made that will tow a large stacker trailer...7500 lb hitch max. You could go with a toy hauler pulling a van 4 down (no trailer) is a possibility but 99% are gas. Once you go over about 38 feet you are in diesel pusher territory.

There's a very simple, basic reason why diesel pusher toy haulers don't exist: the garage and the diesel engine would need to somehow occupy the same space at the back. A front engine diesel would be possible, of course, if pretty rare outside of a super-C setup.

TheTripp

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rick Jay
In my research I actually came across one of your posts on another similar to this thread, I appreciate the detailed reply.

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Ivylog wrote:

OH BOY, Most diesel pushers are designed for cocktails for six, dinner for four, and sleep too. There is not a gas Motorhome made that will tow a large stacker trailer...7500 lb hitch max. You could go with a toy hauler pulling a van 4 down (no trailer) is a possibility but 99% are gas. Once you go over about 38 feet you are in diesel pusher territory.

There's a very simple, basic reason why diesel pusher toy haulers don't exist: the garage and the diesel engine would need to somehow occupy the same space at the back. A front engine diesel would be possible, of course, if pretty rare outside of a super-C setup.

Didn't Travel Supreme make a DP toy hauler in the mid 2000's?

Al

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FloridaRosebud wrote:

DrewE wrote:

Ivylog wrote:

Didn't Travel Supreme make a DP toy hauler in the mid 2000's?

Al

They did make a mid-engine unit. Whether or not that's a "diesel pusher" configuration is an interesting question; I certainly would not care to state categorically one way or the other. It's definitely not a typical rear engine diesel chassis, in any case, though it could (and I assume does) share many of the advantages they generally have such as air suspension and a quiet(er) cockpit area with no doghouse.

TheTripp

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog and larry cad bring up points that are not unfamiliar to me but I suppose I was hoping for more plug and play this time.

We have actually done quite a few modifications to our Big Horn, and we also once bought a BP FEMA and tore it down to the studs and redid the interior on it. Sooo, modifying is nothing new and we could handle it.

Along this train of thought I started a search for Class A's on Rvtrader.com 1995-2012, Diesel, over 38' long, and Private Party.

I've got alot of candidates now in my mind!

What I value is a nice booth, lots of kitchen countertop space, and opposing couches so that we could take one out and put a bunkbed arrangement in its place.

I've found multiple Tiffins, a Winnebago, a Newmar, an American Coach, and an Entegra that would fit nicely.

Going this route it seems relatively easy to find opposing couches, nice booths, good kitchens with dishwashers, good bedrooms, and I've even found atleast one 1 1/2 bath.

Another benefit is no DEF diesels with these older ones.

TheTripp

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are some... What do I need to look for with something 10-15years old?

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2011-Tiffin-Motorhomes-ZEPHYR-45QBZ-5015605933

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2011-American-Coach-AMERICAN-HERITAGE-45B-5012865197

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2013-Winnebago-Tour-42GD-5015268558

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 1% of Toy Haulers (in previous post) that are diesel is the mid engine one with the engine on its side and a big hatch in the floor for access. Must not have sold well as I think it was only offered for a couple of years. It’s still a DP ...Diesel Puller. [emoticon]

I’d say this German made FRED MH qualified as one on the neatest I’ve ever seen. The bed is over the car.
[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 02/24/21 02:30pm by Ivylog *

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.

TheTripp

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah those are interesting.

So my head is pretty much swimming now from looking at all these ads today..

Looks like you can get nice 10yr old or so Newmar's for $200k or so.
If you go mid to late 2000's then there seem to be many a Tiffin for mid $100's or so.

Are Country Coach, Monaco, Holiday Ramblers any good from back in the 2000's?
Something like this needs alot of updating etc but great powertrain and looks to have been high end when it was new... opinions for the following link please. https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2005-Holiday-Rambler-NAVIGATOR-45PBQ-5015329515

* This post was edited 02/24/21 03:48pm by TheTripp *

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Obviously it’s a great rig since I have a newer version of the same thing... 08 Navigator. [emoticon] Even with 80,000 miles someone got a good deal for $90,000 with the lift on the back and new tires. Very livable floor plan and as I posted above the bedroom could be converted into a office during the day by raising the bed up 90°. Would have to modify the box the bed sits on to make it into an office but that wouldn’t be that hard.

The S-10 Monacos chassis is one of the best made and in that vintage Prevost, Newell, and Foretravel all used 10 airbags chassis. Makes for a rock solid, great handling rig capable of multiple 12+ hour days without wearing you out. I still do the 1500 miles to Colorado in two days and hit the ground running on the 3rd day.

I looked at new three years ago and was not overly impressed with the quality and decided to go with another Monaco S-10 and after three years and 20,000 miles I made a good choice. Even though everything worked, I upgraded the TVs to smart LED TVs, installed 1000 W of solar, a Silverleaf engine monitoring system, an induction cook top. and a 2nd slide tray in the basement for $5000 doing it myself.

In 06 Monaco raised the ceiling to 7’ (nicer if you are tall) and put full length awnings on raised trails. They made for easy mounting of tilting solar panels.
[image]

* This post was edited 02/24/21 06:20pm by Ivylog *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Fulltime 5er to MH - Help?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.