cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60 gallon gas tank

Tenpoint081
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to swap out my gas tank for a larger 60 gallon. Anyone suggest an installer in the nyc area(Long Island, New Jersey or surrounding areas). Have called a couple of places but got the sense it’s not something they’ve done. I have an f250 diesel. Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
we have had an in bed. 85 gallon fuel tank with transfer pump for over 30 years. I made the tanks, moved it to each of our trucks. always 8' bed , so 120 gal loaded.
In summer when we owned the camp it carried gasoline for lawnmowers, skid loader, leaf bower and such.
Winters when we snowbirded, diesel. Gives us a 1200 + mi. range without need to refuel.
The issue is not the fuel, its the transfer method. No state i know of prohibits a fuel transfer tank, that would be ridiculous given contractors and farmers that need to refuel machinery.
For far less and the flexibilty to carry different fuels for different seasons, not to mention no need for that spendy 5er slider hitch, 8 ' bed with in bed tank, transfer pump . Legal, range, cost effective, frexibility. no install costs.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sufficient and convenient fuel tanks are great. I’ve toted 40 in factory installed tanks. However, 60 gallons? That’s a bunch of weight.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
agesilaus wrote:
Then why not call it a diesel tank...heh

Same reason we call that pedal that makes it go faster the gas pedal or throttle...neither of which a diesel technically has.

The terms have come to mean something different.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Retired JSO wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Maybe I'm wring but I thought the feds do not allow in the bed gasoline tanks, diesel only. Gas is too flammable.

The OP said he has an f250 diesel..you're definitely wring. :B

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Retired JSO wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Maybe I'm wring but I thought the feds do not allow in the bed gasoline tanks, diesel only. Gas is too flammable.
"Gravity flow gasoline transfer tanks are not allowed under DOT regulations. They have to have turnover valves and be a pump/transfer system. ... Yes, we manufacture our aluminum refueling tanks to meet and exceed the requirements for gasoline, kerosene, methanol, and diesel"

OP, says he has a diesel.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
"Gravity flow gasoline transfer tanks are not allowed under DOT regulations. They have to have turnover valves and be a pump/transfer system. ... Yes, we manufacture our aluminum refueling tanks to meet and exceed the requirements for gasoline, kerosene, methanol, and diesel"

OP, says he has a diesel.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
These guys did a 60gal on their F250. It is a nice clean way of doing it and keeps the bed free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01hGk3GhfwA

I'm sure they got a special deal for promoting it. No way I could choke down the price. I'm sure if you follow up with the manufacturer, they could recommend an installer.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wanderingbob wrote:
Will it hang under or are you considering a tank in the bed ? When talking to installers say " diesel " , many will not work on gas .

A. He said it’s diesel.
B. He said “swap out.”
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
S & B and Titan make 56 and 60 gallon replacement tanks for F series trucks ($1,200+). If you have a motorcycle jack, they are not hard to drop and swap.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Figure out what brand of tank you want. There are only a few and I doubt any of them make a 60 gallon tank that is a replacement for the original. You will have to get a tank that goes in the bed to get one that big. On the manufactures web site they usually have a list of installers.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will it hang under or are you considering a tank in the bed ? When talking to installers say " diesel " , many will not work on gas .