cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand design and towing with a Ford Expidition

Firetraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to purchase a new setup for my wife and I. We are retired looking for a couples trailer. We are interested in getting a Ford Expidition XLT with max tow and fx4 package. We want to use it to pull a Grand design 22 mle. Itโ€™s 5200lbs empty with tongue at 500 lbs. 26 ft long. I am looking at going with a Hensley wdh. Looking for any advice from others similar. Thanks in advance.
17 REPLIES 17

Firetraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Wanted to stay with regular length since no kids. Max can work as well if it makes that big of a difference

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since they don't already have the tow I'm not sure why they wouldn't go with the Max, the difference in MSRP between a standard and Max with the FX4 and Max tow is only $2k. To me not having to white knuckle it on high wind days makes it an easy upsell, but it's not my money ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

djtkach
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a slightly longer, slightly heavier TT for 10 years with the non-Max length Expedition. Our TT weighed in just under 7000# loaded, and I kept the tongue at around 900# versus our 920# limit. At the time the Max had a lower hitch limit of 860#. Our WDH was the Reese dual-cam and once we got it dialed in we found it was fine. Because of the short wheelbase, on strong cross wind days the tail did try to wag the dog. When I sold the TT, the buyer had the Expedition Max and the extra foot-ish of wheelbase made a very noticeable difference for him.

Watch your tongue weight, watch your RAWR, pay extra attention on cross-wind days and you should be fine. Enjoy the new setup.
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2008 KZ Spree 290BHS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, presuming with your questions that you donโ€™t have any meaningful towing experience.
So take the responses with a grain of salt, as many folks believe in putting their own factors of safety on (which is ok) and then preaching them as gospel (when they are far from it).
First, a new Expe with towing package will EASILY and safely tow that trailer. No questions asked. Long or short wheelbase.
Second, I would suggest purchasing both units and then after driving them together as a pair, decide if you need any enhancements above and beyond a standard weight bearing hitch.
Better to have a basis for your hitch decisions vs throwing money at something you may not need.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
carringb wrote:

As for the hitch, I'd try it without the Hensley first. You probably don't need it. Grand Designs don't seem to generate many towing complaints, and the Expedition is stable as well.

are you saying NO WDH at all? Because the weight carrying tongue weight cap for the Expe will be 500lbs. He is going to be over that a good long ways.

Sorry, no I did not mean to imply no WD. Only that a Hensley might be overkill compared to a traditional WD hitch.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
I don't think he means no WDH, but maybe saying that a very expensive model, like the Pro pride or Hensley may not be needed. I agree, OP may not need those expensive upper end types.

Jerry

I'll agree with that. But it does need a WDH.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't think he means no WDH, but maybe saying that a very expensive model, like the Pro pride or Hensley may not be needed. I agree, OP may not need those expensive upper end types.

Jerry

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
Weight-wise, you'll be generally in good shape. I do like the long wheelbase of the Max, but even the regular version tows well. As mentioned, you could have payload challenges if you need to carry a full passenger load while towing.

As for the hitch, I'd try it without the Hensley first. You probably don't need it. Grand Designs don't seem to generate many towing complaints, and the Expedition is stable as well.

are you saying NO WDH at all? Because the weight carrying tongue weight cap for the Expe will be 500lbs. He is going to be over that a good long ways.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
GD's tongue weights are for a totally empty trailer, no batteries, no propane tanks. Yeah, I'd guess all-up tongue weight would be 800#+. You may want to consider a Pro Pride hitch also, it seems to be the up and coming favorite.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œDoes the extra 12 inches of wheel base length make that much difference?โ€

Yes. Much more comfortable and stable with my 2020 Silverado 1500 double cab vs. the sold 2015 Tahoe.

APT is right. Wouldnโ€™t have pushed my similar Tahoe with more than 6000 pounds.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that 6k dry is a comfortable limit for the more capable half tons. That Grand Design model is similar in weights to my TT which I have comfortably towed with a far less capable half ton than a late model Expedition. Expect 6500 pounds loaded with 850-900 pounds of loaded TW. Learn how to adjust the WDH to restore 100% front axle weight, even though I think Ford recommends 50%.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
That should be a good towing experience. Most good quality WDHs will work for you, and the Hensley is on the upper end.

The truck you are choosing, with the max tow, has a lot of options for this purpose.

Yes, when loaded, you will have at least another 1,000, maybe 1,500 lbs added to trailer, and of course, more hitch wt. I don't see a problem, with that rig, loaded and ready to travel. You aren't talking 8 passengers, normally just the two of you.

The extra wheel base length is an asset for towing a trailer.

Enjoy your new experience,

Jerry

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
With the max tow, you should be well within spec as I'm seeing 1700# payload but it's always wise to check the door sticker.

The longer the wheelbase, the better the towing experience.

Firetraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Does the extra 12 inches of wheel base length make that much difference.