cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fry's Electronics shutting down 30 stores in 9 states

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are shutting down all stores immediately. I always enjoyed shopping at their California and Oregon locations RIP.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/02/frys-electronics-is-no-more-and-all-30-stores-will-soon-close/
17 REPLIES 17

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
kscaddo wrote:
I've not been to Fry's in Dallas for probably 20 years or so. All the sales associates seemed to be from 3rd. world African countries. I could never communicate. I liked all the stuff they had but really could not get a bit of help. I had always assumed this was their corporate culture. Perhaps I was wrong, but again it's been 20 years.

That was not my experience in the Portland, Oregon and Sacramento stores about 5 to 6 years ago. Great big fun house for me. They had everything and very helpful and knowledgeable. When management and/or shareholders decide to finish off a business they usually start cost cutting and providing poor customer service as prelude to close down. Very cruel to the loyal decent employees that help build their business but this is yankee land and home of the. Replacing quality people with eaters who care less.

MrWizard
I love Fry's, I too saw the notice the day it was published, my last two laptops were from Fry's, my digital camera came from Fry's, and my inkjet printer and other devices, most of the blank Cds DVDs came from Fry's, the Burbank Fry's and the Canoga Park store are about equal ,distance from me in opposite directions, giving me 2 choices, but now being closed, sad times indeed, I do have a good parts store close by, very close by, but that's all they have is parts, not pcs, not tablets, printers, camera, TV,DVD players, audio components,car stereos, not all the things that Frys carried
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The big box category killer format alone is no longer the retail answer to low prices and service. RIP Fry's ๐Ÿ˜ž

kscaddo
Explorer
Explorer
I've not been to Fry's in Dallas for probably 20 years or so. All the sales associates seemed to be from 3rd. world African countries. I could never communicate. I liked all the stuff they had but really could not get a bit of help. I had always assumed this was their corporate culture. Perhaps I was wrong, but again it's been 20 years.
2020 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2018 Ram 3500 4X4 Cummins
Archibald of Appin the Scottie.:C

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Just before Radio Shack closed up there was hardly an employee that could tell you how to even plug in one of their products. Internet shopping is faster, cheaper and less stressful.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Downunda
Explorer
Explorer
I visited Fry's LA store when I was in the USA in 2002... it was kinda like the holy grail. Same thing in this country for computer swap meets where all of us enthusiasts used to regularly jostle around buying parts and software. The swap meets are pretty much done these days. In a way its a sad sign of the times.
Downunda - Melbourne Australia

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was inevitable from what I've seen the last time I visited their PHX location last year, the store is as big as a super walmart with inventory you could easily fit in a regular sized grocery store. Always fun to shop at when they were still going strong, my main problem was they rarely had in stock what was advertised in their flyers, and therefore aggressively tried to upsell products you were not interested in.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I, too, loved visiting a Fry's store (usually the Vegas store) but I must say I rarely bought anything. I think the posts above well explain why the business failed. How many folks are needing parts for their computer or are still building their own. The computers are so cheap they have become a disposable item.

Bingo...same reason radio shack is no more.

And even if you do build your own computers, unless there is some last minute need, you can find a greater variety of parts online and usually at cheaper prices.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Saturdays used to be wall to wall people. Last time I was there...very lonely. Sign of the times.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
While I was impressed with the first Fry's I entered, I still prefer our local electronics parts shop. Stewart W. Smith will have what ever you are looking for in the way of parts. A bit of a mess (check the photo in the link) but somewhere, what you are looking for is there.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I never really bought a lot there. But I knew that most likely I could find what I did want. Will miss just browsing their store.

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I was in one it was a ghost town. No one shopping, no one to help and very little inventory.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
When we wintered in Arizona I would hit the trifecta at least once a month.
Fry's, Cabela, Harbor Freight.
Great way to spend a day.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I, too, loved visiting a Fry's store (usually the Vegas store) but I must say I rarely bought anything. I think the posts above well explain why the business failed. How many folks are needing parts for their computer or are still building their own. The computers are so cheap they have become a disposable item.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?