Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What are good outdoor camping lights?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> What are good outdoor camping lights?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
HenrySmith

New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 04:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, I am new to this forum. I like to go for country camping but I am looking for multi-purpose camping lights. Currently I found some options on amazon, they’re ok but I’d like to have lights which can be used with vehicles like stick to them, hang with them etc. Please suggest some products with your good experience.

Thanks

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure what you mean by Multi-Use Camping Lights.
Doing a google search I see those telescoping "Lantern/Flashlights"

I have some.. I prefer a much more powerful Coleman type lantern or the cheesy awning light strings.. In fact the room lights here in my bedroom is a string of awning cats from Camping world.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO, the best camping light is a flashlight large enough to be found when sitting next to you. Leave lights off as much as you can. Let your eyes adjust to the natural light the shadows will not appear as dark. If you feel the need to have as much light as your street lights at home, stay where the street lights are.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We kinda like moonlight, with a good flashlight when we need to find something [emoticon]

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What kind of lights? Utility lights, shop lights, accent lights, changing color LED's, aesthetic lights, low light, flashlight... If you stated your purpose it would be easier to narrow it down.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coleman-type lanterns are pretty common, but are glaingly bright. They can seriously impinge on your neighbor's site. A lot of people like a little darkness and don't appreciate something as bright as a Coleman lantern. There are lots of the LED battery powered lights, it just depends on what you plan to use them for, or if you just want them for general illumination.

Personally I prefer a kerosene lamp for outdoor lighting if I feel the need. It's bright enough to see, but not daylight type bright like a Coleman. But I rarely take them along, and just have a couple LED lights for convenience. Mostly though just rely on a flashlight if I need to find something.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer lights that travel with me - and since I often have 2 dog leashes in hand - I don't go anywhere without a headlamp. I have them stashed everywhere!

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a few pop-up LED lanterns similar to these that I find to be useful. If left collapsed, they are a sort of focused spotlight/flashlight (though not the most convenient shape to carry around); and when popped open, they give a decent soft area illumination, and can be hung via the loop or hook on the base.

(I don't know if those specific ones in the link are any good or not--it's just an example of the sort of thing. The ones I have are not fancy expensive brands and seem to work well. There are several variations on the basic idea out there.)

If I have to back into a campsite at night where there's somewhat tight quarters, I'll often pop them open and set them on key points to give me some idea of where to go without hitting the corner of the picnic table, the big rock right next to the entrance of the campsite, etc.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> What are good outdoor camping lights?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.