cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GC2 which?

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at readily-available and fairly inexpensive Duracell and Crown GC2 batteries, same price and AH ratings, Crown is a couple of pounds lighter. Which to buy and why? Lithium isn't feasible right now. Previous batteries were a pair of Grp 27 12v Interstates which died after six years.

Thanks!
-jbh-
10 REPLIES 10

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:
if all else is the same or simular buy the heaviest one. usaly means thicker plates and such.

Steve

GC2 is a "standard" BCI size, the size does not vary between manufacturers much if any to be able to call them GC2 (they must stay pretty close to the BCI sizes in order to fit them into the golf carts)..

Since the size cannot change, thicker plates means there is VERY LITTLE difference that can be had between weights of the batteries.

That means a thicker or heavier plates will require the plate spacing to get smaller, reducing the electrolyte and allowing less space for any lead that sloughs off the plates to go at the bottom..

So, in reality we are talking maybe at the most 1 or 2 lbs difference in weight and not all that much more capacity for the extra weight AND you will pay considerably more for that extra capacity and weight (which is a minimal "upgrade").

I don't buy into the normal assumption that if it weighs more and cost more in the same package that it is ALWAYS "better".. There are tradeoffs to heavier and more expensive that are hidden..

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
if all else is the same or simular buy the heaviest one. usaly means thicker plates and such.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

ArcticGabe
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Battery weight is related to capacity more than anything else.
When I replaced my GC2 pair I got Deka. which at the time was 100% US made (East Penn battery Company) The ones I picked were a bit heavier than the Interstates they replaced and thus held more watts (Amp Hours)

Page 2.... There are very few companies making batteries. .Many batteries are Deka's or US Battery or Johnson Control re-labeled. and you can google to find out which.

Yes, it's true, there are not a lot of lead acid battery manufacturers anymore. However, just because one manufacturer makes battery "A" and battery "B" means they are the same. One brand may specify better materials and more robust manufacturing procedures, but another may cut corners, and both can run down the same line. Sometimes, you really do get what you pay for, other times you are just paying for a name brand. It's hard to tell these days.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
John,

My first pair were Duracell from Sam's and they did real well even thought a wiring deficiency kept me from being able to recover the change as fast as I would have liked. As built, the converter/charger was too far with wire too small. When I fixed that they were great for a number of more years.

You really need a Victron or Bogart battery monitor to use them effectively.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys!
-jbh-

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Battery weight is related to capacity more than anything else.
When I replaced my GC2 pair I got Deka. which at the time was 100% US made (East Penn battery Company) The ones I picked were a bit heavier than the Interstates they replaced and thus held more watts (Amp Hours)

Page 2.... There are very few companies making batteries. .Many batteries are Deka's or US Battery or Johnson Control re-labeled. and you can google to find out which.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
johnhicks wrote:
I'm looking at Batteries Plus; Duracell is $89 while the same at Sam's is $89 (+ membership). The Crown 220Ah is $125 at Batteries Plus. I'll probably go with Duracell. I'm good about taking care of batteries.

Thanks!

Good pricing on Batteries plus.

I have a membership to Sam's and use that membership a lot, not just for bulk food but their gas prices have been running $.20-$.30 cheaper per gallon than all of the other gas stations in my area saving enough just on gas alone to justify their "Plus" membership..

My first set of Sam's GC2 got me 9 yrs of camping, could have stretched that to 10-11 yrs but I depend on the batteries to support my home fridge conversion and at 9 yrs the batteries were showing signs of not as much capacity as they had when new and I didn't want them to fail while camping.

Couple of items for long life on batteries.

#1, recharge as soon as possible, never allow them to be partially discharged for long periods of time.

#2, Make sure your converter is going into "storage mode" once the batteries have reached full charge. This is also called "float" charge and the voltage at the batteries should drop down to about 13.2V in this stage. Some converters only drop to 13.4V or even 13.6V which is sort of OK IF you don't mind the batteries "using" a lot of water.. The higher voltages will boil the water out of the batteries and you will need to check them often!

I have a PD9160 with optional Charge wizard pendant which drops to 13.2V in storage and it is very easy on the batteries water usage.. Typically batteries use 16 oz of water for all 6 cells once a yr for me.

#3, Check and replace lost water often until you figure out how much water your setup and usage patterns affect the batteries.

#4, ENJOY your savings by choosing Duracells, I highly doubt that paying more will result in a significantly longer battery life, at least long enough to justify the extra $70 of the Crown for the pair..

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2, I buy my GC2 batteries from Samsclub as well, but I've done business with Batteries Plus and they offer great customer service. I get 7-8 years of reliable service and don't intend on paying more for certain brand names or lithium. Hurts to turn them in for core since they still have plenty of juice left in them, alas Samsclub has ridiculous pricing on GC2 couple times a year which tends to get me. For the price of gas I use on a single trip, I have reliable batteries that will last for at least 7 years. They are always being charged 24/7 by our Iota IQ4 when not on the road, keeps them healthy and happy while minimizing the need for topping off to once a year.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at Batteries Plus; Duracell is $89 while the same at Sam's is $89 (+ membership). The Crown 220Ah is $125 at Batteries Plus. I'll probably go with Duracell. I'm good about taking care of batteries.

Thanks!
-jbh-

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are going on price value per Ahr, hands down the BEST pricing will be Duracell..

I would recommend checking out Sam's Club or Costco for GC2s, if you have a membership Sam's carries Duracells, not sure about what Costco caries but their prices tend to be competitive with Sam's on GC2s.

FLA GC2s at Sams is typically running around the $89 each mark each and they are carrying AGMs for about $10 each more..

The difference between Duracell and Crown.. Duracell offers 3 yr Prorated warranty, Crown? They used to offer a longer warranty but now looks like a 1 yr replacement? And their batteries cost considerably MORE..

PER HERE

Crowns basic offerings..
CR-205 (205 Ahr) for $150 each
CR-220 (220 Ahr) for $160 each
CR-235 (235 Ahr) for $170 each
CR-240 (240 Ahr) for $175 each

and they go up from there if you want AGM..

Sam's Duracell GC2 is 215 Ahr and at $90 each a much better value than Crown..

Some folks do feel they get far superior batteries and will outlats the cheaper batteries by buying the more expensive Crowns, I am not in that crowd..

Feed and take care of any battery and it will last a long, long time..

Ignore them and don't take care of them they all will fail before their time.

Proper care is essential to ANY battery if you want the maximum life possible.