Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2001 Fleetwood Southwind Front-end sags

startuprob
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2001 Fleetwood Southwind. It is a nightmare to try and level. The frontend sits pretty lower than is should. I replaced the airbags, but that did not solve the problem

I am guessing the only thing it could be is the springs. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Rob
19 REPLIES 19

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Glad we could help!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check your ride height first, how much space do you have between the upper a arm and lower stop? Now jack up the front end and fully inflate the bags. Lower the jacks and check ride height again, if you don't see 1.5 ins or more I would then replace with the HD springs. I had no more than 1/4 in so I went with the HD springs from Henderson also, and it fixed the ride height. I have seen several P-30 front end where they were just resting on the stops. Also resist the temptation to put in heavier springs than required thinking more is better, this could lead to more force on the upper A arms causing stress cracks.

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another note of interest.
After you install the Supersteer springs, have the coach aligned to the Supersteer spec.
It made my coach go from a complete white knuckle adventure to now cruising with one hand on the wheel.
Also have your drag link inspected. The OEM stuff doesn’t last that long.
Supersteer makes a replacement for that as well.

startuprob
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer & enblethen: That is amazing. I am looking into getting this done asap! Thanks for all you help. Great information!

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I believe I paid around $360 like in the link that enblethen posted. It was well worth the cost to have it sit level and get rid of those blasted air bags! Click on the link he posted for you.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Startuprob: I had a shop install Henderson Springs many years ago. The springs at that time were $225 and shop charger another $200 for install and alignment.
My ball joints were good, but need to check them when installing.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

startuprob
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer - Great Info! Do you remember what you paid?

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Chevrolet and Workhorse chassis using the P-30 and P32 used coils with air bags. The springs from Henderson are variable rate springs based on your actual front end weights. Improves handling when done along with proper wheel alignment.

Yes, definitely look into the Henderson Super Steer springs. I replaced my original springs on my 2001 workhorse chassis and it was the best thing I ever did to it, No more air bags! You weigh the coach and the front axle and they will tell you what springs you need. Now it sets level and drives better! I installed them myself, it was not fun but I got it done, then had the front end aligned.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Chevrolet and Workhorse chassis using the P-30 and P32 used coils with air bags. The springs from Henderson are variable rate springs based on your actual front end weights. Improves handling when done along with proper wheel alignment.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would suggest contacting Henderson line up in Grants Pass, OR for their coil spring replacements.
Henderson Lineup
Make sure you get the rig weighed!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

startuprob
Explorer
Explorer
Chum Lee, thank you for that wonderful insight. Great feedback.

P32 is the Workhorse Model. It actually has the 8.1L V8. When I bought it, I replaced the airbags first. That was a year ago. They are at 60PSI. I am thinking I may need to replace the coils.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chum lee wrote:
startuprob wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2001 Fleetwood Southwind. It is a nightmare to try and level. The front end sits pretty lower than is should. I replaced the airbags, but that did not solve the problem

I am guessing the only thing it could be is the springs. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Rob
Content deleted as it offered no valve to the discussion.

Mr lee

I beg to differ on your statement. MY Ford had the same issue out of new dealer lot , New and order by us. A Newmar Moountainaire. They replace both front leaf springs after 60 days of my purchase under warranty. It happens.

winno
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a workhorse chassis it might be a P32 they have air bags in side the coil spring and they could be bad or over the years so deteriorated or gone were they will not hold air making it sag. I just replaced mine for the second time and i have a 2004 motorhome, and iam the original owner.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
startuprob wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2001 Fleetwood Southwind. It is a nightmare to try and level. The front end sits pretty lower than is should. I replaced the airbags, but that did not solve the problem

Thanks,

Rob

Content deleted as it offered no valve to the discussion.