cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Landing Gear Lubrication

Greyhound_RB
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Keystone Cougar 323 MKS. The landing gear motor seems to be straining a good bit under load. Is there any good info on lubing the shaft/nut. Thank you.
12 REPLIES 12

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
There's actually 3 parts. The reduction gearbox between the motor and leg, easy to disassemble clean and regrease. The bevel gear on top of the leg, easy to disassemble and regrease. and lastly, the jack screw in the leg. I have 6 of these jacks in my leveling system and it takes me about an hour per jack to pull it off tear it down clean and regrease. The front jacks take a bit longer to get out and reinstall. Take pictures to make sure you orientate the parts properly.
The older we get, the faster we go

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Yep!
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Craig, that keeps the rust down on my landing gear feet also. :R

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
There was plenty of grease at the top gears and bushings. I drilled 1/8" holes about 3" down from the top of the outer tube and stuck a wire in the hole to be sure I could feel the screws. Then I spayed gear lube in there for a few days til it was coming out the bottom. I know them suckers are lubed... I was wiping the grease off the bottom, all last year! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
As for the 'legs'
With 5vr hitched I drop inner leg and spray it with a graphite lube.....goes on wet then dries.
Then exercise the inner leg up/down

Afterwards I dun outer leg down and spray the upper portion then fully retract

Give it a light spray every couple months of use as I am breaking camp

Simple....takes maybe 5 minutes
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Greyhound_RB
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your help

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dave H M wrote:
as MLF says. Mine are located on the back side where they are hard to see much less grease. :h

Makes no sense, but typical. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mine are easy to see, not on back side, but a flex hose on grease gun still needed, due to other obstacles.

Jerry

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
as MLF says. Mine are located on the back side where they are hard to see much less grease. :h

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
My landing legs came with factory installed zerks, one on each leg, in the area of the lower one, in Old Biscuit's picture. It only takes about 2 pumps on the lever to grease.

I think the grease is applied right near the large nut, so grease is spread up/down, and through the nut. It made my leg operation easier, quieter, so yes, a noticeable difference.

Jerry

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those landing gear motors are not very strong, or very reliable.

But if I were to try to lubricate the screw, I would run the screw near to the upper limit, then drill a hole through both legs fairly far down the leg inside the trailer, and spray lithium grease through the hole onto the screw. that way you can rely on the grease getting on the screw and the threaded mechanism too.

Using a zerk may only put grease between the two parts of the leg and get no grease on the screw, where it's needed.

I have heard of someone pulling the inner leg all the way out, and putting some grease on a piece of angle iron, and putting it up against the screw while running the motor. More work, but does about the same as the two holes and lithium spray grease

FWIW, I replaced the single motor system on my Fuzion with the dual motor system from Bulldog. Works very, very well, albeit a bit pricey.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good grief ...you do not need to remove/disassemble landing gear to grease it

Some folks have drilled/tapped/installed Zerk fittings
1 just below top cover and another one down further

I just pop the top cover and using a plastic putty knife scrape a glop of bearing grease into it on the gear set...twice a year

Been doing it since 2007.....simple
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Check this video
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)