cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will it be difficult to find a reliable 5er on a 20K budget

GBEngineer
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 5er several years ago but sold it due to a move. I am interested in getting another one. I still have my tow vehicle, 2004 Silverado 3500 diesel, that I plan to use. I can afford to spend around 20K. I would like something in the 27-32 foot range. I don't need something really nice but want something as reliable as I can get.

I would appreciate any advice on what brands or models have a good reputation for being reliable in my price range. I would also be like to hear from others that have searched for a purchased a used 5er, how was your experience and any advice you can offer.

Thanks for any help.
2004.5 Siverado 3500 DRW Duramax LLY
2001 Cougar 276 EFS (Sold, trying to figure out what to replace it with)
25 REPLIES 25

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Leak test. Money well-spent.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
I price expecting to negotiate, it's part of buying and selling. Maybe it's just me but if a buyer doesn't attempt to negotiate sometimes I figure I made a mistake and should have priced it higher

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
As an adjunct, if a potential buyer wanted to hook up my fifth wheel and tow it to an RV dealer for an inspection I would tell them no. The effect for that type of action would be to talk me down on my price, and impart a huge inconvenience on me, plus take the trailer off the market for a while, let alone liability issues. I would sell it to the next person with the ability to inspect it himself on site and recognize the value that it is. Not worth it for a $20k sale.

I couldn't agree more. If I have something for sale it's not leaving here until paid in full. You can inspect it all you want HERE.
Also when looking if you're serious carry a substantial amount of cash for at least a deposit. A stack of $100 bills in sight can help in negotiations. Be ready to buy while there if it's what you want. The last 2 I bought, from individuals, took a couple hours or better. Checking it over and negotiating can take a while. A few years ago I was about a 100 mi from home looking at one. Made the deal, paid them and waited for them to unload all their personal items then pulled it home. If you see it and want it don't hesitate buy it. Used trailers are like used cars, no two are the same

Depending on bad you want to sell your RV rig, I would hire a mobile RV mechanic to inspect your rig at your place. If your rig has any major repair issues, you really can not expect a buyer not to want to negotiate the price if you want to sell.

Johnnybgood
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Triple E fifth wheels. They are a true season. They are no longer made but the company us still in buisness. (Leisure vans) and they can get you info on your camper. Call, donโ€™t email.

plumber802
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Heck yeah, I think the $5 gas that is coming will change the market.

100% agree. And I also think that in a few years there will be an abundance of used RVs for sale by people who bought because of Covid restrictions.
Andy and Linda, St-Albans, Vermont.
Retired Union Pipe Fitter/Plumber. Former LEO 1994-2004.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ir is a sellers market right now generally speaking however if you are after a more up market model you might be above the scrambling herd.

We bought an up market unit when the market was soft & we also bought at the end of the season when sellers are looking at storage fees with so few buyers around. We were almost three months between first contact & closing the deal meanwhile the seller had dropped his price considerably got no solid bites.

We had only three possible models fitting our buy list & the seller had the top one. A big gamble since this model is extremely rare.

You play the game.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
As an adjunct, if a potential buyer wanted to hook up my fifth wheel and tow it to an RV dealer for an inspection I would tell them no. The effect for that type of action would be to talk me down on my price, and impart a huge inconvenience on me, plus take the trailer off the market for a while, let alone liability issues. I would sell it to the next person with the ability to inspect it himself on site and recognize the value that it is. Not worth it for a $20k sale.

I couldn't agree more. If I have something for sale it's not leaving here until paid in full. You can inspect it all you want HERE.
Also when looking if you're serious carry a substantial amount of cash for at least a deposit. A stack of $100 bills in sight can help in negotiations. Be ready to buy while there if it's what you want. The last 2 I bought, from individuals, took a couple hours or better. Checking it over and negotiating can take a while. A few years ago I was about a 100 mi from home looking at one. Made the deal, paid them and waited for them to unload all their personal items then pulled it home. If you see it and want it don't hesitate buy it. Used trailers are like used cars, no two are the same

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Just gotta be patient, open up your search area further out. I see your in Murrieta. We just negotiated and got a 5th wheel in our price range (30k) and everything we wanted in Temecula. We donโ€™t live far (San Jacinto) which was nice. The market is hot and things are selling fast.
This is what we did, we researched and narrowed down what we wanted and were looking for, so that way you are ready to pull the trigger. I was texting the owner back and fourth before our appointment to see it. Thereโ€™s was a lot of people going to see it, so we decided to put a deposit on it through Venmo to secure it. He didnโ€™t accept the offer but instead told us we sounded very serious compared to everyone else that were going to look at it and thatโ€™s been contacting him. He agreed to give us first look and scheduled us on a Thursday to view it. He has all the other potential buyers going out on Saturday since it Was in storage. At the end it all worked out great for the seller and us. Your 5th wheel is out there just gotta be ready when it comes up. Cheers!
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
GBEngineer wrote:
I owned a 5er several years ago but sold it due to a move. I am interested in getting another one. I still have my tow vehicle, 2004 Silverado 3500 diesel, that I plan to use. I can afford to spend around 20K. I would like something in the 27-32 foot range. I don't need something really nice but want something as reliable as I can get.

I would appreciate any advice on what brands or models have a good reputation for being reliable in my price range. I would also be like to hear from others that have searched for a purchased a used 5er, how was your experience and any advice you can offer.

Thanks for any help.

Which ever 5th wheel you are looking at buying take it to a Good RV shop to have it completely checked out to make sure you know all the systems are working and if any repairs are needed. $200 to $300 could be well worth it. It will also give some peace of mind.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Edd505 wrote:
Retired JSO wrote:
Dave H M wrote:

$5 a gallon diesel, actually $5.15 in New York back in 2008 didnโ€™t slow us down and the roads were full of RVโ€™s.

Yep I paid 4.95 in WA. Gets that high I just cut miles traveled but still travel.

2008? gas is right now just under $5 a gallon at Furnace Creek DVNP. Was happy to buy almost 20 gallon a day exploring the off-pavement areas this past week. Fill 'er up and let's go. Or sit home and whine about it, whatever.

For the OP... mine is not for sale yet ๐Ÿ˜‰

GBEngineer
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the great tips. I will have to take my time looking and also look for a good RV inspector to help out. I have a couple friends with RV's so I will have them keep an eye out for me as well.
2004.5 Siverado 3500 DRW Duramax LLY
2001 Cougar 276 EFS (Sold, trying to figure out what to replace it with)

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505---That's a GREAT looking 5er !! Even the nose cone appears to be bug free!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I've been in a camping club for over 20 years so I have a pipeline for good used RVs that have been well cared for, from people I trust. The best thing you can do is start networking through friends and any groups that you are with until you find a good source.
Ive had three Sunny Brooks in a row and I would put the material, build quality and reliability up against any brand. I bought my 2008 from a friend in the club when it was five years old, for half of what he paid when it was new. I went to three RV shows four years ago, in Phoenix and I laughed at the junk that they wanted $100,000+ for... Nothing but pressed wood everywhere I looked.
Avoid Lite and the low dollar entry level units. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
Dave H M wrote:

$5 a gallon diesel, actually $5.15 in New York back in 2008 didnโ€™t slow us down and the roads were full of RVโ€™s.

Yep I paid 4.95 in WA. Gets that high I just cut miles traveled but still travel.

As for the original question, my son just picked up a pristine 25 year old 34ft 5W for 8K. New tires, new battery, and still had blue tape on the stainless around the sink. Dated interior but very functional. One of the first aluminum framed RV's I know of. The 5W was stored local inside by the original owner from TX. It was taken to the lake used weekends & summer vacations here in NM. So far the only repair was replacing the heater motor that had bad bearings,$50, likely from non use. They are out there, most RV's are only used weekends so get little real use. Make sure appliances work, pressurizer the water and check for freeze leaks. Take your time they are out there.

Some of the blue tapes visible here
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold