Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Chevrolet exits all ICE production by 2035
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevrolet exits all ICE production by 2035

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/21 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Gjac wrote:

I could of (sic) replaced my older metal key for 75 cents, not cool.
But I can still think they're cool, right?
I guess what is cool is very subjective.

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

I could of replaced my older metal key for 75 cents, not cool.

My Honda in college had a metal key. It was super convenient because it also worked in my roommate's similar year Honda, and it also worked in his girlfriend's Honda, but only to start the car, it wouldn't open the doors.

Despite the convenience, it probably wasn't all that secure.

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The arguments about the grid not being able to handle all of the electric cars remind me of the arguments about opening up the Internet to general use in the 90s. (For a long time, it was primarily used by researchers and some government entities. I've been using it since the 80s.) The argument was that the infrastructure and technology could never handle the influx of vast numbers of new users and all of the traffic they would generate... There were similar arguments when people started streaming video. What people forget is that these changes don't happen instantaneously. As with the Internet, the change from gas to electric cars isn't going to happen overnight. It will phase in over a number of years, allowing the grid and power plant operators to see and respond to the changes.

2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/21 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

Gjac wrote:

My Honda in college had a metal key. It was super convenient because it also worked in my roommate's similar year Honda, and it also worked in his girlfriend's Honda, but only to start the car, it wouldn't open the doors.

Beside the replacement cost what do you do with the fob when you want to swim, fish a stream, free dive or scuba from the shore all of which I like to do. The low tech metal key I could just keep in my pocket and it did not mind getting wet. I have slipped on rocks in a stream and gotten wet many times.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

rlw999 wrote:

Gjac wrote:

Beside the replacement cost what do you do with the fob when you want to swim, fish a stream, free dive or scuba from the shore all of which I like to do. The low tech metal key I could just keep in my pocket and it did not mind getting wet. I have slipped on rocks in a stream and gotten wet many times.

Meh. For a Tesla many just use their iphone as their key. However, we are also fairly active and don't like to always have the iphone with us. We paid the 59 bucks for the Tesla ring. It acts as our key to get in, operate the car etc. Probably our most used option. [emoticon] LOL It doesn't care if it gets wet either.

To each his own.

[image]

Ain't no place to stick a key in my wifes car. [emoticon] LOL There isn't even a button to push. LOL

[image]

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

rlw999 wrote:

Gjac wrote:

If I think I'll get somewhat wet, I just put it in a ziplock baggy in my pocket. When I go snorkeling, I put it in the plastic underwater cover with my cell phone (which itself is a glorified ziplock baggy). I rarely go anywhere without my cell phone, so having to handle a keyfob isn't much different (and if I had the right car, I could just use my phone as the key).

Or you can buy a purpose built keyfob drybag.

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I leave my key fob in the truck then lock the truck. When I get done swimming I open the truck with the keypad on the door and away I go.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/21 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still have a car with one of those 75cent metal keys; I wouldn’t let someone get into it still wet from swimming. A wet swimmer can ride in one of our cars that uses a fob.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/21 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

Gjac wrote:

rlw999 wrote:

Gjac wrote:

If I think I'll get somewhat wet, I just put it in a ziplock baggy in my pocket. When I go snorkeling, I put it in the plastic underwater cover with my cell phone (which itself is a glorified ziplock baggy). I rarely go anywhere without my cell phone, so having to handle a keyfob isn't much different (and if I had the right car, I could just use my phone as the key).

Or you can buy a purpose built keyfob drybag.
I can start my car with the phone also but I just don't like the idea of putting my phone and key fob in a baggy and taking it very deep when scuba diving or needing to buy a underwater housing for it. I did not mean to get off topic with the key fob it was just an example of hi tech stuff I could do without.

Gator398

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/21 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

You guys are focusing on the wrong thing. This is not about AOC or the new green deal. Tesla has shown that EV's are for real and that the ICE is obsolete.
EV's have left the drawing board and are in full production as we speak.
The idea that we can't produce enough electric is silly.
When the model T was originally made did we say this would never work because there were no gas stations?
We have made it from the stage coach to jumbo jets the infrastructure will come.
Going from gas stations to charging stations is not an impossible task.
If you want to believe EV's are for real. Drive a Tesla.
Driving a Tesla for the first time is a game changing experience.
Once you drive a Tesla you will understand where all this is going and why the ICE is obsolete.

The problem you are not seeing, is that the infrastructure you speak of that brought us to "Jumbo Jets" was the discovery of OIL.. ELECTRICITY is produced by OIL and COAL and Nuclear (that creates Massively Hazardous Waste that stays Massively Hazardous for 1000+ years)

So, unless these enviro-nuts are willing to triple the production of OIL, COAL, and Nuclear power, there is not enough power to charge EV if EV shifts from 2% it is currently to 90% that is dreamed of...

It is common freakin sense, not enough power PERIOD

2021 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS
2011 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevrolet exits all ICE production by 2035
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.