Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Chevrolet exits all ICE production by 2035
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevrolet exits all ICE production by 2035

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Gator398 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

You guys are focusing on the wrong thing. This is not about AOC or the new green deal. Tesla has shown that EV's are for real and that the ICE is obsolete.
EV's have left the drawing board and are in full production as we speak.
The idea that we can't produce enough electric is silly.
When the model T was originally made did we say this would never work because there were no gas stations?
We have made it from the stage coach to jumbo jets the infrastructure will come.
Going from gas stations to charging stations is not an impossible task.
If you want to believe EV's are for real. Drive a Tesla.
Driving a Tesla for the first time is a game changing experience.
Once you drive a Tesla you will understand where all this is going and why the ICE is obsolete.

The problem you are not seeing, is that the infrastructure you speak of that brought us to "Jumbo Jets" was the discovery of OIL.. ELECTRICITY is produced by OIL and COAL and Nuclear (that creates Massively Hazardous Waste that stays Massively Hazardous for 1000+ years)

So, unless these enviro-nuts are willing to triple the production of OIL, COAL, and Nuclear power, there is not enough power to charge EV if EV shifts from 2% it is currently to 90% that is dreamed of...

It is common freakin sense, not enough power PERIOD

Just a wild haired guess? You and your family members are dependent on the petroleum industry for your livelihood. Enough said!

Two points most folks will charge at night when the electric consumption is lower and cheaper. Most power house will be natural gas not oil. Of course the wind and sun will take a pronounced step up also. As for the trucks and such I thinking Hydrogen as their main fuel. Coal and oil folks are being offered a career in wind and solar now.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here power is the same price all day although we still charge at night as BC hydro recommends it for whatever reason. I don’t care. I’m asleep when it’s charging. Usually between 1 and 3 in the morning. About 9 cents a KWh here, or about 7 cents in USD. CHEAP CHEAP. Eight bucks still takes us about 500 km.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/21 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the extra Diesel tank in my truck I can go 900 miles (towing trailer) without refueling. How will a battery be able to cover the same ground?

BTW the electricity in my town comes from coal and natural gas. How does having an EV change the equation? And we all just saw what happened in Texas.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

With the extra Diesel tank in my truck I can go 900 miles (towing trailer) without refueling. How will a battery be able to cover the same ground?

BTW the electricity in my town comes from coal and natural gas. How does having an EV change the equation? And we all just saw what happened in Texas.

Technically you just need a large enough battery to keep going. I think a Tesla not a DRW can go 900 miles with 2-30 minutes recharge stops?
Give it 15 years and I don't think 900 miles will be an impossible feat.
Texas was about poor planning and poor policy. Just bad management.
It was not a technology issue. There are plenty of places that do not suffer catastrophic failure to the grid when the weather turns cold.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

If the only thing important to a driver is driving 900 miles non stop I see nothing wrong with staying with diesel. I don’t know anybody who does that other than commercial reasons but hey. To each his own. A long travel day for us is about 600 kilometers (400 miles). A 900 miles range of a vehicle would not be an asset for me. To each his own though.

A single exhaust pipe from a natural gas plant feeding a 100,000 electric vehicles is much better for air quality than 100,000 tail pipes. Plus the natural gas plant can be located out of high population zones.

Coal is irrelevant. It is a smaller and smaller component of North American power makeup.

Texas has a third world grid. They’ll figure it out or people will start making their own reliable and reasonably priced power. It’s easy to make electricity. Gasoline not so much.

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Coal is irrelevant. It is a smaller and smaller component of North American power makeup.

Coal’s forecast share of electricity generation rises from 20% in 2020 to 21% in 2021 and to 22% in 2022.

Short Term Energy outlook

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

If the only thing important to a driver is driving 900 miles non stop I see nothing wrong with staying with diesel. I don’t know anybody who does that other than commercial reasons but hey. To each his own. A long travel day for us is about 600 kilometers (400 miles). A 900 miles range of a vehicle would not be an asset for me. To each his own though.

Yes, if I want to go to Kansas to see my daughter, it is nice to get up in the morning and be there for evening!

Would rather have more time with her!

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

If the only thing important to a driver is driving 900 miles non stop I see nothing wrong with staying with diesel. I don’t know anybody who does that other than commercial reasons but hey. To each his own. A long travel day for us is about 600 kilometers (400 miles).

For me, even 200 miles is more than enough range, especially if I knew I could fuel up at the nearest rest stop, restaurant, etc. 200 miles is 3+ hours of driving, which is more than I'd usually do without a break or switching drivers. Spending 30 minutes plugged in while I walk around (or nap, one of the best reasons to drive an RV - nap anytime, anywhere!) while I charge up for another 3 hours of driving wouldn't really get in the way of my travels. And I can charge up at the campground so always start the day with a full tank without having to find a gas station first.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

If the only thing important to a driver is driving 900 miles non stop I see nothing wrong with staying with diesel. I don’t know anybody who does that other than commercial reasons but hey. To each his own. A long travel day for us is about 600 kilometers (400 miles).

For me, even 200 miles is more than enough range, especially if I knew I could fuel up at the nearest rest stop, restaurant, etc. 200 miles is 3+ hours of driving, which is more than I'd usually do without a break or switching drivers. Spending 30 minutes plugged in while I walk around (or nap, one of the best reasons to drive an RV - nap anytime, anywhere!) while I charge up for another 3 hours of driving wouldn't really get in the way of my travels. And I can charge up at the campground so always start the day with a full tank without having to find a gas station first.

Yep. Travelling may be a little different in the EV world. Not necessarily a bad thing. In 10 years ranges will probably double again. I don’t think it will be an issue.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Coal’s forecast share of electricity generation rises from 20% in 2020 to 21% in 2021 and to 22% in 2022.

Short Term Energy outlook

Yep. And not just in the US as Europe is seeing short term needs covered by coal as well. Other countries like Great Britain and Canada are already seeing the decline.

Interesting article.

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/coal-co........-of-us-generation-by-2030-moodys/558534/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevrolet exits all ICE production by 2035
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.