cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

weight on slide out

JUSTWORK
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2015 Keystone Mountaineer 356TBF. This model has a sofa bed and dinette on the main living slide. What I would like to do is remove the sofa bed and dinette and replace with two double recliners. I called Keystone but they really had no information for me. Do you believe replacing dual recliner for dinette will cause slide issues?? Thanks....
8 REPLIES 8

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Is your dinette sofa slide is hydraulic if so I wouldn't worry about it unless everyone sitting in the recliners are 300#ers.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

JUSTWORK
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information, the dinette just never gets used and during the day or evening it would be nice to have 4 recliners.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'll go out on a limb having done something similar.

The recliners are probably lighter than the sleeper sofa and the dinette and chairs. If I'm wrong, it's probably by less than 20lbs, so a non issue when you figure the weight of 2 people on the sleeper sofa and 4 people at the dinnete.

Biggest thing to check is the depth of the slide. The base of the recliners has to be completely on the slide floor and there needs to be enough space that the back doesn't hit the wall.

We did just the sofa and it was a great upgrade.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

KangaBunnyRoux
Explorer
Explorer
I see plenty folks do this. I think you could get a best guess estimate on weight after you remove them. Worst case, put in a pick up truck go get weighed, then swap for recliners and reweigh.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
JUSTWORK wrote:
Thanks and I will try Keystone again.... So right now I have on the main slide out one sleeper sofa and one dinette with 4 chairs. I want to get rid of the sleeper sofa and replace with a dual recliner and then get rid of the dinette and replace with another dual recliner so the difference in weight would be between the dinette and one dual recliner.

SO 4 recliners vs sofa/bed & dinette

Unless folks are in the 300# PLUS club I don't see an issue
Weight of recliners not the issue.
It's the added weight of 4 fat people (I use to be a club member at 385# but now 270# so I can call fat people fat)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't think anyone here can give an answer to the question. I/we don't know to what degree of overbuild, the slide mechanism of a given RV is? I have read, that you should not move slide in/out, if someone is sitting on couch/dinette.

Most often, RV structure design is just adequate for intended purpose. So is an extra 50 lbs okay, a hundred lbs, maybe, but 200+, maybe not??

Jerry

JUSTWORK
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks and I will try Keystone again.... So right now I have on the main slide out one sleeper sofa and one dinette with 4 chairs. I want to get rid of the sleeper sofa and replace with a dual recliner and then get rid of the dinette and replace with another dual recliner so the difference in weight would be between the dinette and one dual recliner.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
You stated " What I would like to do is remove the sofa bed and dinette and replace with two double recliners."
And then stated "Do you believe replacing dual recliner for dinette will cause slide issues??"

Now which is it.........
Remove sofa bed AND dinette
OR remove dinette???

Sofa bed & dinette.............2 recliners is NOT going to be an issue (weight wise)

Just the dinette....table/chairs are not that heavy
2 recliners could be much heavier then dinette set
BUT slideouts are 'self supporting' when extended and the subfloor is pretty thick

Not sure what yours is but the subfloor in my slideouts is 1" thick

Call Keystone back........ask to speak with Factory Production Supervisor not some 'customer service' phone rep who probably is not even at the factory, never been to the factory and hasn't a clue about production

I spoke directly with 'production rep' when I needed specific information
**course now a days that maybe near impossible to contact one

CUSTOMER SERVICE
Goshen, IN
(866) 425-4369 (toll free)

***ASK FOR TECH or Factory Rep

Try calling CORPORATE
Goshen, IN
(574) 535-2100
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter