cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Towing Question

ttugurl
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a Puma 28BHSS, which has GVWR 9063 lb. Unloaded Weight 7513 lb.

Our vehicle only towed 9100lbs so we traded and purchased a newer F150 with their newer towing capacities:

3.5L V6 CYLINDER ENGINE
Upgraded Front Stabilizer Bar
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs): 500
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs): 5000
Maximum Trailering Capacity (lbs): 7000
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs): 700
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs): 7000

3.5L EcoBoost V6 375 @ 5,000 470 lb.-ft. @ 3,500 13,200 3,230

We know F250 would have been a better choice, but it would have been too much truck when we aren't using.

We are new towers. Should we be worried or are we safe? Our RV came with a free hitch but we upgraded for the better sway bar/hitch.
34 REPLIES 34

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Salesman only know how to sell vehicles unfortunately.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

ttugurl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. We were able to tow it, but seeking to exchange the truck if at all possible. If only those Ford Salesmen knew as much about towing as yall do. Appreciate all the advice, even if it wasn't what we wanted to hear.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Operator error

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
dodge guy wrote:
Yes, your 7500lb trailer will likely weigh 9k lbs loaded for a trip. I had a 7100lb 35ft trailer and loaded for a trip it weighed in at 9000-9300 lbs depending on length of trip. You will not be happy with the F150 towing that kind of weight, and remember it's not just the weight but e high profile of the TT in the wind.
If you really wanted the F150 you should've gotten the Max towing and HD chassis with opted for the V-8.

I would be looking at a 3/4 ton truck. Rams can be had with rear air suspension which will ride better, they also come with coil springs all around as standard which will ride better than leaf springs.

And even with the 3.5 eco boost that motor will be wound up all the time with the turbos spooled up to keep that load moving!
Not really. The difference between the 5.0 V8 and the 3.5 ecoboost is a whole 20 hp (395 vs. 375) and the 3.5 ecoboost develops peak hp at a lower rpm then the 5.0 V8. And we won’t even talk about peak torque difference between the two, it’s pretty impressive how much better the 6 cylinder is.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, your 7500lb trailer will likely weigh 9k lbs loaded for a trip. I had a 7100lb 35ft trailer and loaded for a trip it weighed in at 9000-9300 lbs depending on length of trip. You will not be happy with the F150 towing that kind of weight, and remember it's not just the weight but e high profile of the TT in the wind.
If you really wanted the F150 you should've gotten the Max towing and HD chassis with opted for the V-8.

I would be looking at a 3/4 ton truck. Rams can be had with rear air suspension which will ride better, they also come with coil springs all around as standard which will ride better than leaf springs.

And even with the 3.5 eco boost that motor will be wound up all the time with the turbos spooled up to keep that load moving!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
...Also, your rear axle is only rated or 3,800lb. Once you subtract the empty weight off that, you probably only have 800-1200lb left...you hitch weight will eat that up and then some. That means you have to run with pretty much nothing in the truck bed (including a cap or cover)...
The curb weight on the rear axle of that truck is about 2000 lbs, the long shot is 2200 lbs. if its got all the bells and whistles plus a kitchen sink (which isn't likely cause those come with 4800 RAWR). That leaves probably another 1800 lbs± before you get to the 3800 lbs rear axle rating.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^^^^While LT tires are not a bad idea, they are not needed, as the current tires are more than adequate, when aired properly for towing.

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ttugurl wrote:

Your rear axle is a 3.31 gear, so not the ultimate towing gears, but being a 2020 Ecoboost, the 10 speed makes up for the taller gears handily. So that's not an issue.
If I'm not mistaken, the RAWR is artificially low at 3800lbs. I believe all 3.5 Ecoboosts get the 9.75" rear diff, which is, in reality a 4800-5000lb rear axle. Someone, preferably the OP correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Even the factory tires are good for 5000lb rear axle load although I'd look for some heavier tires when these wear out.
You're still good.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Basically, your 150 will be at max load or over. It will pull that trailer but no one here can tell you how safe or comfortable that trip will be. Personally, I like to have a cushion on all the parameters of my truck and trailer.
That said, if you decide to stick with your truck, the very first thing I’d do would be to go get new LT tires if P tires are on it now.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

APT
Explorer
Explorer
7500 pounds dry = 8500-9000 pounds loaded. Loaded TW will be 1050-1300 pounds.

You mention that you are new to towing. You are planning to exceed GVWR and rear axle rating of the brand new $40-$70k pickup and $20k-$30k RV. Those people that do have experience and report on this forum towing a 7500 pound travel trailer with even the most capable half tons general are not comfortable on the highway.

I recommend a truck with at least 2000 pounds of payload and receiver rating of at least 1400 pounds when using a WDH, which is not that F-150. Whichever one is "cheaper" to change, I recommend it. For a TT, 6k dry is a good guideline for something like your F-150, which will likely still be over at least one rating with a family in the cab and a bed full of camping gear.

FWIW, my TV has 2050 pounds of payload, 9400 pound tow rating, but a relatively weak receiver @ 1000 pounds with WDH. I would not towing that TT, but I bet it would tow it more comfortably until my receiver breaks.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
ttugurl wrote:
Tire and Loading Information

The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed: 1524lbs.

Front:275/55R20 113T
Rear:275/55R20 113T
Spare: 255/70R18 113T

240KPA, 35PSI each

At 9,000lb, your hitch weight should be on the order of 1,100-1,200lb.

That leaves you 300-400lb for everything else in the truck...including passengers.

Also, your rear axle is only rated or 3,800lb. Once you subtract the empty weight off that, you probably only have 800-1200lb left...you hitch weight will eat that up and then some. That means you have to run with pretty much nothing in the truck bed (including a cap or cover).

L3 on the sticker implies a 3.31 axle ratio...not a huge issue if you have a 10 speed tranny but not ideal.

The 3.5 ecoboost is plenty powerful.

You could load it up and take it to a CAT scale to confirm but at the very least, you are pushing this truck to the limits.

1/2 ton trucks come in a wide variety of capabilities and unfortunately you have one that is on the lower end of those capabilities.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Explorer II
Explorer II
Set up the hitch properly, fill the tank with gas, hitch up the trailer, air up all tires to max pressure according to tire sidewall, put all the people you plan to take camping with you and go weigh it at a CAT Scale. There are several in your area. You will know how much axle weight you'll have left. Your concern will be not exceeding the 3800Lb rear axle rating too much when the TT is loaded.

Weigh it again after it's loaded ready to camp
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Now that you know what all the real numbers are ( from the stickers) you can go here and learn what all the numbers mean and how to figure out if you are within the F150’s ratings Clicky
The way I see it, you got about 400 lbs+/- for passengers and cargo in the truck.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
That’s a lot of trailer for a half ton truck. Been there, now tow with a 2500. You might be able to make the numbers work (doubtful) but it likely won’t be a fun or comfortable especially for someone with no towing experience. Being a bunkhouse model I’m going to assume you have several passengers in the truck and will be loading the trailer pretty good. You have plenty of power, just not enough truck.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley