Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Equilizer vs. Blue ox SwayPro?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > Equilizer vs. Blue ox SwayPro?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
carringb

Corvallis, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 07/28/2003

View Profile



Posted: 02/28/21 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You still feel the Bow Wave affect with the Hensley, just only once. You'll still get some push when the front of your TV passes the front of a square-nose semi. The difference is you only get it once, where a traditional hitch allows an opposite yaw moment when the front of the trailer passes the same bow wave, which you feel as a steering force towards the truck.

Anyways, newer semis are so much more aerodynamic, it's rare to pass one anymore that pushes hard. I bigger challenge is during very-high cross-winds which create some steering force as you pass through the wind-shadow of an up-wind truck.


2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST


ericpatt

Madison, WI

New Member

Joined: 03/15/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/01/21 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All- Thanks for all your input. By sway, I mean, when I semi passes me or cross wind, I'm getting sucked into the semi or pushed around a little. It usually resolves quickly, but having to continually worry about semi's sucks. Don't get me wrong, I'm always checking my mirrors anyway but not knowing how much I'll be sucked into a semi sucks.

For further clarity, I have leveled the front of the truck and from friends conversations, it sounds like that's also not helping. Having the truck lowered this week and hope that it helps.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/01/21 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ericpatt wrote:

All- Thanks for all your input. By sway, I mean, when I semi passes me or cross wind, I'm getting sucked into the semi or pushed around a little. It usually resolves quickly, but having to continually worry about semi's sucks. Don't get me wrong, I'm always checking my mirrors anyway but not knowing how much I'll be sucked into a semi sucks.

For further clarity, I have leveled the front of the truck and from friends conversations, it sounds like that's also not helping. Having the truck lowered this week and hope that it helps.


If it's just a quick nudge and then immediately settles down once past, that's normal and nothing to worry about.

Just hold steady. Try not to crowd the left lane. The closer you are, the more you will feel the bow wave. If you do feel the need to do something, gently ease to the right but no jerky movements.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/01/21 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

ericpatt wrote:

All- Thanks for all your input. By sway, I mean, when I semi passes me or cross wind, I'm getting sucked into the semi or pushed around a little. It usually resolves quickly, but having to continually worry about semi's sucks. Don't get me wrong, I'm always checking my mirrors anyway but not knowing how much I'll be sucked into a semi sucks.

For further clarity, I have leveled the front of the truck and from friends conversations, it sounds like that's also not helping. Having the truck lowered this week and hope that it helps.


If it's just a quick nudge and then immediately settles down once past, that's normal and nothing to worry about.

Just hold steady. Try not to crowd the left lane. The closer you are, the more you will feel the bow wave. If you do feel the need to do something, gently ease to the right but no jerky movements.

This is where the premium hitches separate themselves from the others.
There is no holding steady, or moving over, no easing over. You no longer have to prepare for or anticipate the passing 18 wheelers in anyway.


19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide


lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 09/20/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/01/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a Surburban you are catching more wind with your vehicle than a pick up does. Make sure your socket bolts are torqued to spec and check them every few hundred miles.


2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

goducks10

There

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2010

View Profile


Online
Posted: 03/01/21 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

ericpatt wrote:

All- Thanks for all your input. By sway, I mean, when I semi passes me or cross wind, I'm getting sucked into the semi or pushed around a little. It usually resolves quickly, but having to continually worry about semi's sucks. Don't get me wrong, I'm always checking my mirrors anyway but not knowing how much I'll be sucked into a semi sucks.

For further clarity, I have leveled the front of the truck and from friends conversations, it sounds like that's also not helping. Having the truck lowered this week and hope that it helps.


If it's just a quick nudge and then immediately settles down once past, that's normal and nothing to worry about.

Just hold steady. Try not to crowd the left lane. The closer you are, the more you will feel the bow wave. If you do feel the need to do something, gently ease to the right but no jerky movements.

This is where the premium hitches separate themselves from the others.
There is no holding steady, or moving over, no easing over. You no longer have to prepare for or anticipate the passing 18 wheelers in anyway.


x2. My towing experience felt the same with the HA and towing my previous 5th wheel. Rock solid.

MHay

Virginia

New Member

Joined: 08/25/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/13/21 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have recommendations for where to purchase the Hensley or ProPride with a discount? I need a hitch to eliminate sway similar to what the OP described but the price of these options is quite high!

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/13/21 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MHay wrote:

Does anyone have recommendations for where to purchase the Hensley or ProPride with a discount? I need a hitch to eliminate sway similar to what the OP described but the price of these options is quite high!

They are often found for sale used. As a prior owner I would not hesitate to buy used. However if I never owned such an expensive hitched. I imagine I would be reluctant to buy used.
Buying new gives you the benefit of the money back guarantee and possibly financing incentives.
I was a very satisfied customer but I will admit I was a reluctant skeptical buyer.
Yes they are expensive but they do work as advertised.
Friction based hitches do not compare.

MHay

Virginia

New Member

Joined: 08/25/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/13/21 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

MHay wrote:

Does anyone have recommendations for where to purchase the Hensley or ProPride with a discount? I need a hitch to eliminate sway similar to what the OP described but the price of these options is quite high!

They are often found for sale used. As a prior owner I would not hesitate to buy used. However if I never owned such an expensive hitched. I imagine I would be reluctant to buy used.
Buying new gives you the benefit of the money back guarantee and possibly financing incentives.
I was a very satisfied customer but I will admit I was a reluctant skeptical buyer.
Yes they are expensive but they do work as advertised.
Friction based hitches do not compare.

Thanks — I’d likely want to go with a new one for peace of mind. I hadn’t looked into financing incentives, so maybe there are some options with that. Thanks!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > Equilizer vs. Blue ox SwayPro?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.