cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram 2500 only carries 2300 lbs.

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
My 2018 diesel Ram 4x4 2500 has coil springs front and back. I'm overloaded on my 5th wheel (2000lb hitch weight) and total GVWR by 800 lbs after everything is loaded up for travel.
My local spring guy claims a heavier duty coil spring upgrade would solve the overload problem, since everything else on the 2500 is heavy duty. I would like to know if anyone else did the same to their similar truck and recommend it. Thanks.
30 REPLIES 30

daglenn1960
Explorer
Explorer
Found these handy links when I got my 2018 Ram 3500:

2018 Ram 2500 Towing Chart (Trailer Towing Chart – SAE J2807 Compliant)

2018 Ram 3500 Towing Chart (Trailer Towing Chart – SAE J2807 Compliant)
2011 Cougar 276RLS
2007 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73
Dave, Sarah, and Ely (weim)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I agree with Michelle's post. What 2500 Ram do you have? Some years/models can carry more than others, with little sag. The RAWR varies from model years too. I think you will likely need suspension help to level truck, with a pin approaching 3K.

Jerry

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would say typical pin weights run 500 to 1000 pounds over the brochure dry weight, maybe even more depending on location of storage areas and floor plans.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
TravelinDog wrote:
Since a few of you guys have Ram pick-ups let me ask about your real world experience.
The 5er my wife is looking at has an advertised hitch weight of 2580lbs so I'm sure actual loaded hitch weight will be at least 2800lbs. I'm wondering how much my 2500 Ram will sag.

For a real world pin weight estimate use 20% or the trailer GVWR. Forget the brochure numbers.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
Since a few of you guys have Ram pick-ups let me ask about your real world experience.
The 5er my wife is looking at has an advertised hitch weight of 2580lbs so I'm sure actual loaded hitch weight will be at least 2800lbs. I'm wondering how much my 2500 Ram will sag.
Just say no to the payload police :C

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
I think you are reading it wrong, front still lower than rear, but if rear sags 2” then head lights points op higher and blinds oncoming drivers.

I get what you're saying. I'm on my 3rd Ram and have never had that issue happen when hitched up, whether with a TT or a 5er.
I wonder if your headlights are set right to begin with?
Not trying to be condescending or anything like that. I'm just replying based on my real world experience after owning two 2500's and never had a headlight issue.
I towed my 5er for 6 years and towed a TT with a 1350 lb TW and that did raise the front up a 1/2 " or so after hitching up. Rear dropped 1.5 or so. Still didn't have a headlight issue.
I realize you have 200 lbs more for pin but like you mentioned your rear sags about the same as my 1800 lbs did.

Every truck owner that tows or hauls anything heavy has the rear end drop. Some less than 2" some a little more than 2". Never read much about headlights too high in those circumstances. A 2" drop should be well within OEM headlight angles as to not bother on coming traffic.

Assuming you trucks all stock I think I'd get the headlights checked out.

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are reading it wrong, front still lower than rear, but if rear sags 2” then head lights points op higher and blinds oncoming drivers.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Road Phantom wrote:
(Somethings not right with your numbers)
I weighed my rig at a truck scale for all axles. I'm over 800lbs. Wife, hitch weight and anything you add up front of the 5th wheel which includes storage, batteries, propane and what ever is in the front wardrobe and under the bed storage, adds a percentage to weight transferred to the hitch weight on the bed of the truck. I think you should get your rig weighed again for all axles for a real world weight.

LOL, I live in Oregon. Our scales are on all the time. Even when closed the digital readout is showing. We have scales all over our hwys. I've stopped many times for giggles just to check.
I fail to see how your truck will sag so much that your headlights are pointing up too far.
1800 lbs only dropped my rear a tad less that 2". There's a 3" difference between the front and rear fender heights. I could see your issue happening if your truck has a front leveling kit.

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
(Somethings not right with your numbers)
I weighed my rig at a truck scale for all axles. I'm over 800lbs. Wife, hitch weight and anything you add up front of the 5th wheel which includes storage, batteries, propane and what ever is in the front wardrobe and under the bed storage, adds a percentage to weight transferred to the hitch weight on the bed of the truck. I think you should get your rig weighed again for all axles for a real world weight.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"What I do not understand is why don't people just buy the right truck to carry and pull the trailer."

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Road Phantom wrote:
I'm nose high with headlights in the oncoming traffic's windshields. I get a lot of flicking lights at night because they think I have my high beams on. Okay, I decided to go ahead with the heavier springs. If she still sags I'll install air bags. I'm told they ride good, since the heavy-duty part is at the bottom of the springs. Thanks.

IMHO you should add air bags and run the truck "LEVEL".
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Somethings not right with your numbers.
I had a 2018 Ram 2500 and towed a 5er with an 1800 lb pin. The truck only squatted a couple inches. The front never rose up. I was around 9800 lbs for after hitching up. 200 lbs under the GVWR.
I also towed the same 5er with a 2012 Ram 2500. It had a 9600 lb GVWR. I was over the GVWR by 200 lbs with the same 1800 lb pin.
How can you be over your GVWR (10,000) by 800 lbs with a pin thats only 200 lbs more than mine?
5th wheels don't raise the front of the truck up enough to matter.

Your 2500 must be squatting 4-5" since level is about 3" low in the rear. No way will 2000 lbs drop the rear 4-5".

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
WOW things never change on this web site! People getting sued millions for exceeding pay load capacity’s, insurance voiding your life insurance, and why didn’t you just buy the 3500 model, its only a couple hundred dollars more! Get real people, and relax, DOT could care less about recreational trucks, they have all they can do to keep up with the commercial trucks. Show us the small print on your policy that excludes coverage for exceeding the weight limits?

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
What I do not understand is why don't people just buy the right truck to carry and pull the trailer. Trying to justify propping up too small of a truck with air springs just does not make sense. If your rear axle and tires cannot carry the weight, you are a danger to yourself as well as others.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot