Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Ram 2500 only carries 2300 lbs.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Ram 2500 only carries 2300 lbs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/21 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

Yes they'll pay up to the limits of your policy. It's the follow on Civil Suit by those Lawyers that advertise on the Tele getting Millions for their clients.
Show me a link to any such suit for an RV accident that has been filed and won. The are no such suits - it’s all internet hogwash.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/21 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same truck. Forget the he payload rating. They are artificially low for licensing purposes only. With the exception of the rear coil springs it is a 3500 truck. As long as you stay under the axle and tire ratings you are fine. The RAWR is 6k. My empty truck is about 2700lbs on the rear, leaving over 3k of axle rating for pin weight. If it sags puts some air bags on it.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Road Phantom

pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/21 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm nose high with headlights in the oncoming traffic's windshields. I get a lot of flicking lights at night because they think I have my high beams on. Okay, I decided to go ahead with the heavier springs. If she still sags I'll install air bags. I'm told they ride good, since the heavy-duty part is at the bottom of the springs. Thanks.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/21 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

Michelle.S wrote:

Yes they'll pay up to the limits of your policy. It's the follow on Civil Suit by those Lawyers that advertise on the Tele getting Millions for their clients.
Show me a link to any such suit for an RV accident that has been filed and won. The are no such suits - it’s all internet hogwash.

It always amassed me how only rv folks get sued for exceeding a gver or gvwr based payload but out here in the hauling world of DOT and insurance using the same trucks we don't get sued for exceeding a gvwr or gvwr based payload that caused a wreck with injury. Now if were over truck or trailer axle/tire load rating and it caused a wreck with injury then it can go civil suit and a whole bunch of DOT actions that can ruin our lively hood.

Anywayz.... 2500 Rams can have a 6000/6200/6500 rawr which carries the load in the bed (not a gvwr number).
I would recommend weighing your truck front and rear axle weights separately and determine your truck models real world in the bed payload.

If the truck rear suspension sags too much then look at coil spring help. Keep in mind RAWR is the lessor of a wheel/tire/rear springs and the axle assy. Watch wheel/tire load ratings. Safety wise don't exceed tires or wheel load ratings.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/21 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Road Phantom wrote:

I'm nose high with headlights in the oncoming traffic's windshields. I get a lot of flicking lights at night because they think I have my high beams on. Okay, I decided to go ahead with the heavier springs. If she still sags I'll install air bags. I'm told they ride good, since the heavy-duty part is at the bottom of the springs. Thanks.

We had a member with a similar year Ram 2500 that hooked up a relatives large 5er with close a 3,000# pin and the truck didn’t squat hardly at all. Unless you leveled the truck it should still be a bit ass high.
Heck our old 2001 2500 at 1,700# over GVWR, and within about 200# of rear axle rating. It still was a it ass high.

* This post was edited 02/26/21 09:48am by an administrator/moderator *

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/21 04:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the truck involved a Mega Cab? That changes everything if so.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/21 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2018 Mega Cab 6.7 4wd has a 6500 rawr ....empty rear axle can weigh around 150 more lbs than a 6.7 4wd crew cab rear axle so not much to worry about. Both can have 3000+ lb in the bed payloads to work with.

Numbers like this is a moot point if the OP truck sags too much and he's looking for more suspension to help with a sag issue.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/21 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I do not understand is why don't people just buy the right truck to carry and pull the trailer. Trying to justify propping up too small of a truck with air springs just does not make sense. If your rear axle and tires cannot carry the weight, you are a danger to yourself as well as others.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Coach-man

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/21 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW things never change on this web site! People getting sued millions for exceeding pay load capacity’s, insurance voiding your life insurance, and why didn’t you just buy the 3500 model, its only a couple hundred dollars more! Get real people, and relax, DOT could care less about recreational trucks, they have all they can do to keep up with the commercial trucks. Show us the small print on your policy that excludes coverage for exceeding the weight limits?

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/21 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Somethings not right with your numbers.
I had a 2018 Ram 2500 and towed a 5er with an 1800 lb pin. The truck only squatted a couple inches. The front never rose up. I was around 9800 lbs for after hitching up. 200 lbs under the GVWR.
I also towed the same 5er with a 2012 Ram 2500. It had a 9600 lb GVWR. I was over the GVWR by 200 lbs with the same 1800 lb pin.
How can you be over your GVWR (10,000) by 800 lbs with a pin thats only 200 lbs more than mine?
5th wheels don't raise the front of the truck up enough to matter.

Your 2500 must be squatting 4-5" since level is about 3" low in the rear. No way will 2000 lbs drop the rear 4-5".

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Ram 2500 only carries 2300 lbs.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.