cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will water lines freeze?

Rxkjm1
Explorer
Explorer
We will be heading to Utah (from Minnesota) for a week and Are trying to decide whether we fill our tanks before we go.
The overnight temps for the first 2 nights are forecast to be in the low 20s. After that, it should be above freezing.
Iโ€™d we fill our tank, will our lines freeze overnight if the inside of the camper is heated to 65 degrees and it warms up during the day?
13 REPLIES 13

dedmiston
Mixed messages from Lwiddis:

Don't chance it with filling your tanks ahead of time.

~ and ~

Don't chance drinking the water from the parks because it will kill you.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

snowedin
Explorer
Explorer
Why take a chance, leave it winterized so you don't have to worry about it. If there is a ball valve on the fresh water tank it will freeze and break, don't ask me how I know. The low point drains will be exposed and freeze, the grey and black water drains will be exposed.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
Why haul all of that weight 1200 +/- miles? I would never trust weather forecasts to be that accurate. If the forecast is off by 10 degrees, your pipes can easily freeze up. I would drain the fresh tank and blow the lines out with air. Fill. your water tank when you get to camp.

This is the best advice here, leave it winterized until you get there. Why take a chance something freezes. Carry a refillable water jug, I use 3 gallons and carry a couple. You will have water to flush, drink and cook enroute. Even in good weather I only carry about 15 gallons of fresh, for toilet, washing hands etc. other tanks empty. You can figure about 5 gallons a minute on average filling.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
From my experience, run the furnace and you will be fine into the high teens. I did this a lot with TTs that had exposed plumbing. The temperture close to the TT will be higher than the surrounding air.... BUT.... Run the furnace at 68 degrees. Camping in freezing temps is not a time to cheap out on propane cost.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œWhy haul all of that weight 1200 +/- miles?โ€

Because you never know, Baraboo.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why haul all of that weight 1200 +/- miles? I would never trust weather forecasts to be that accurate. If the forecast is off by 10 degrees, your pipes can easily freeze up. I would drain the fresh tank and blow the lines out with air. Fill. your water tank when you get to camp.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I would not leave the fresh tank full. leave a little room for expansion.
bumpy

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
2 days and it's already winterized...I'd probably leave it winterized until you are clear of freezing (or at least lows in the upper 20's with heat on at night).

That said, it's probably going to be OK. I would try to keep the waste tanks empty at night and the fresh full. What pipes are not in the cabinets? Usually the line from the fresh water goes directly into the interior and then pipes are run in the back of cabinets.

PS: consider running the hot water heater at night.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
WIthout an enclosed underbelly I wouldnโ€™t chance it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Rxkjm1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice!

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on how you're heating the camper. If you're using the furnace and the lines are all in an enclosed underbelly, you should be good. If you're using space heaters/fireplace for heating, that heat will NOT go under the trailer. Remember to leave your cabinet doors open below sinks either way.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

Rxkjm1
Explorer
Explorer
The tanks are on the underbody, which is not heated. Iโ€™m not really worried about the tanks though because of the volume and small amount of time exposed to low temps.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
are all pipes/tanks inside the heated area?
bumpy