Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Help!!!! Travel Trailer Back in
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Help!!!! Travel Trailer Back in

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/21 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

for some real at home practice a couple of things that may help you understand the physics of backing.

1) take your kids wagon, grab the handle and practice moving it backwards and turning like you would to park a trailer. you will see how the tongue is just like the wagon handle, how it needs to move to move the trailer (in this case the wagon)

And when backing into a spot we prefer one we can back in to on the DS, PS is harder to see, and definitely needs a spotter.

And DW and I have a pair of walkie talkies we use if needed. Don't rely on cell phones since many places we go have NO cell service.

And I never back if I can't see the spotter in a mirror.

2) get a toy semi truck & trailer with a real working steering wheel, and practice with it. Even w/o a steering wheel, moving it backwards to park should give you the idea of what your truck needs to do.

These may give you the "ah ha" moment, then practice with your rig in a parking lot.

Personally, backing a short trailer is harder than a long trailer. My 14ft cargo trailer responds way more quickly than my 35ft TT.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ADK Camper

New york

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/21 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My trailer is light enough that I don't need weight distribution but I do use a friction sway control bar. With the bar engaged the trailer is less responsive to the trucks steering making backing up more difficult. With this set-up it's best to disconnect the sway control.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Help!!!! Travel Trailer Back in
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.