cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet speed

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Can any one clarify what this means ... I see it as 100 divided by 5, which would be 20Mbs ??? But monkey mostly clueless about tech. And it generally takes 25Mbs or higher for 4K Streaming, unless I'm truly out to lunch here ... probably a fact ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks M44

Comcast ISP: Performance Currently at 100/5Mbs
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
26 REPLIES 26

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
coolmom42 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
The only question would be bits or bytes? Small "b" so it's bits.

The days of 1200 baud modems are long gone outside a few specialty uses.

No one is advertising consumer internet services based on those units. So while technically different, other than to be contrary, there is no confusion.

You are incorrect. b=bit B=byte

bits and bytes

No I'm right.

I said there is technically a difference (same as outlined in your link) but they aren't mixing the two units in advertising.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
"No one is advertising consumer internet services based on those units."

What units are you referring to? Internet speeds are indeed advertised as either MBps or Mbps, just depends on whether the advertising unit knows the difference.

Would you rather have 10 MBps or 10 Mbps? It does make a difference.

Maybe 20yrs ago.

Again, there is technically a difference but everyone knows what is intended.
You mean like the difference between 20 KPH vs 20 MPH is a technical difference, but everyone knows what is intended? ๐Ÿ™‚

Exactly, driving in the USA, if they leave the units off the sign, no one is going to get it confused for KPH

Likewise, if you are in Europe, no one is going get the sign confused for MPH.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
All the internet speed test sites I have used use Megabytes as standard for measuring speed. Good enough for me.
Are you sure about that? All the ones I've used show the speed as Mbps, which is Megabits per second. Most of the time, internet speed is usually shown in Megabits, and data storage is Megabytes. But it makes sense, because Megabits per second will show higher numbers, eight times as high as a matter of fact. 80 Mbps will show as 10 MBps.

Bits or Bytes whatever works for me is fine. I pay less than $60 a month for Spectrum speeds running between 106 to 130 download. And my on the road original legacy AT&T mobley runs beteen 87 to 103 bits or bytes most of the time.

I am one super happy camper. Captain Happy.
Oh yeah, those speeds are excellent, and more than sufficient for most anything. It's just something to be aware of, nothing more. It would be like buying a car that's advertised to do 200, and you find out they're talking 200 KPH. No difference between 200 KPH and 125 MPH, they're both fast. But 200 sure looks impressive.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roughly put:

To stream videos in standard definition, at least 3 Mbps is recommended.
To stream videos in HD, at least 5 Mbps is recommended.
To stream videos in HDR or 4K, at least 25 Mbps is recommended.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just out of curiosity now - how would Android phone WIFI compare to the 100/5Mbp speed ... we have T-Mobile and Verizon on the road and both with hotspots.

Some campers talk about streaming thru phones, so what speed does that take? Is it different than regular hotspot? We've used our hotspots all over the country and had good service, generally. But just for email and web surfing, not streaming.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

What units are you referring to? Internet speeds are indeed advertised as either MBps or Mbps, just depends on whether the advertising unit knows the difference.

What if it's advertised as mbps?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 100/5 the streaming should work fine. I run 175/11

Put "speed test" in google to verify.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
All the internet speed test sites I have used use Megabytes as standard for measuring speed. Good enough for me.
Are you sure about that? All the ones I've used show the speed as Mbps, which is Megabits per second. Most of the time, internet speed is usually shown in Megabits, and data storage is Megabytes. But it makes sense, because Megabits per second will show higher numbers, eight times as high as a matter of fact. 80 Mbps will show as 10 MBps.

Bits or Bytes whatever works for me is fine. I pay less than $60 a month for Spectrum speeds running between 106 to 130 download. And my on the road original legacy AT&T mobley runs beteen 87 to 103 bits or bytes most of the time.

I am one super happy camper. Captain Happy.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
The only question would be bits or bytes? Small "b" so it's bits.

No one is advertising consumer internet services based on those units. So while technically different, other than to be contrary, there is no confusion.

You are incorrect. b=bit B=byte

bits and bytes
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

Maybe 20yrs ago.

You mean like the difference between 20 KPH vs 20 MPH is a technical difference, but everyone knows what is intended? ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
deltabravo wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

My first modem was 300 baud. This was back in 1983 or 1984, connected to a TRS-80 Model III

It was only 2-3yrs ago, we got rid of the last 1200 baud for traffic signal controllers. Of course, only went up to 19.2.

Of course, when equipment is often in the field for 20-30yrs and you want backward compatibility, it was fine. Mostly it was used in the old days to keep the clocks in each controller synched.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:

Maybe 20yrs ago.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:

My first modem was 300 baud. This was back in 1983 or 1984, connected to a TRS-80 Model III
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
monkey44 wrote:
Our community is contracting Comcast for internet - it says we will get service at 100/5Mbs -- that's exactly how it's written ...

So I wondered what it actually means - especially with 4K videos etc. I'm not a fan of Comcast, not very good customer service ... But I only have one vote, just want to make sure it's fast enough for every one that wants HS service. I'll be outvoted, but it's the best pricing, and we have 1500 homes. We will also get it in the Rec areas, and in our RV park.

Our underground cable has been under ground for 23 years. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Comcast says it will install new Fiber Optic cable to every home and our rec areas ... and tells us 100/5Mbs our ISP speed. Sounds like it will do it ... Thx guys M44

Refer back to the very first response to your post. It was correct than and still is!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?