cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMI Air Force One install

rvroamerrandy
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning al. Just purchased the air force one proportional braking system. My question is do I need to dump the bags and jacks prior to cutting my supply and metered lines on the coach? I have a 2011 Winn Journey on a Freightliner chassis. the coach is too low to leave on the ground without the jacks. I am a big guy so either jacks up or i pull it up on blocks? need some advice here. I understand i need to pump brakes 3 or 4 times to release the air in system but not sure if this effects jacks? I appreciate some direction here if anyone has some. My fear for some reason is being under the coach, cutting the lines and the coach starts rolling.

2011 Journey 40U
2020 Chevy Trail Boss

Randy
10 REPLIES 10

rvroamerrandy
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning everyone. following up with an update. I spent Saturday morning installing the Air Force One on the coach. Actually I surprised how easy it was. First got the coack up on blocks, dumped the air bags, set the jacks and she was ready. I was able to install the air tank just in front of the brake assembly, this made for easy installation of air lines (nice and close) then it was all about cutting the supply and metered air lines. I was a bit nervous at first, obviously cutting the air lines but once cut I was able to connect all lines and then route the final air line through the existing wiring harness to the back of the coach. I was able to get a great location just rear of the trailer hitch pin on a solid surface.
Friday morning I had sent a photo to Demco to very the supply and metered air lines on my coach. Thanks Demco, fast reply and I was happy they were there if I needed them. Next week is the Truck side install and I believe this will be a bit more difficult!

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
The auxiliary system airline should be connected to one of the unused outlet points on the rear air brake manifold!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Emergency air brakes are different. A big spring applies the ebrake when there is no air pressure. When you release the ebrake switch you are actually sending air pressure to the ebrake to pull the big spring back and disengage the ebrake.

ie Think losing air pressure for some reason to the point where the service brakes don't work and then the ebrake will be applied.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

rvroamerrandy
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, that stirred up a whole slew of conversation. I Just want to make sure that safety s first. I'm not much worried about the installation process other than the cutting of the brake line. I guess the real question I should have asked is, is the emergency brake anyway connected to this supply line or metered line that I will be cutting? I appreciate everyone's comments and I look forward to more replies.

Thanks,
Randy

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
67Cutlass wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
67Cutlass wrote:
To answer the OP's question. Your air bags and jacks are not in any way connected to your air brake system. No you do not need to dump the bags and jacks.

Just keep safety in mind when doing this.
Yes but the AF1 unit in the motor home requires both the brake line and a supply line meaning the main tank will be empty. Perhaps just one step closer for the air bags to become deflated.

Even if you empty both air tanks that will not dump the air out of the inflated bags.

The bags are not dumped until you level the mh using the automatic leveling system or manually dump the air bags.

With the suspension fully inflated you can still manually extend the jacks and keep the bags inflated.
Good to have more detail on the operation.

But what does this have to do with safety regarding being under the MH with just the jacks and air bags?

Bob

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
67Cutlass wrote:
To answer the OP's question. Your air bags and jacks are not in any way connected to your air brake system. No you do not need to dump the bags and jacks.

Yes but the AF1 unit in the motor home requires both the brake line and a supply line meaning the main tank will be empty. Perhaps just one step closer for the air bags to become deflated.

Even if you empty both air tanks that will not dump the air out of the inflated bags.

The bags are not dumped until you level the mh using the automatic leveling system or manually dump the air bags.

With the suspension fully inflated you can still manually extend the jacks and keep the bags inflated.
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
67Cutlass wrote:

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Danger lurks under an RV, truck, car etc. Be careful.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer

2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are courting potentially extreme danger! The chassis needs to be throughly supported by mechanical jacks period. People have been killed from falling vehicles.

Based on your questions you should give very serious thought to having the unit installed in the MH.

Bob