cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Article on Rivian Electric half ton. Charging network.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
11 REPLIES 11

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Hammerboy wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Reisender,

Thanks for posting. I begin to wonder if gasoline stations may be hard to find in say ten years.

Probably like phone booths in 25-30 years

Dan

heh heh. 🙂 Could be. But it will happen at different rates in different places. Europe and china will see the biggest and fastest adaption numbers and north America and India will happen at a slower place. I think in Canada in places like Quebec and BC where I live it will be at least a decade before there is any sort of decline in numbers in gas stations. Although in Vancouver they closed the last down town gas station last year. You may see some gas stations slowly shift their business model to an EV charging format. Places like the prairies and the north will be another decade after that. BC has an end date for light vehicle sales of 2040 and I think Quebec is 2035.

I suspect charging will always take a little longer than just gassing up so the potential for selling munchies or coffee or lunch to drivers may male for an interesting business model. Petro Canada and Shell Canada have already started with this by adding L# charging to some of their stations. Who knows. My crystal ball is not working today.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Reisender,

Thanks for posting. I begin to wonder if gasoline stations may be hard to find in say ten years.

Probably like phone booths in 25-30 years

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Reisender,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
gbopp wrote:
Reisender wrote:
gbopp wrote:
bgum wrote:
All of this while the fights are going on over the power pedestal.

That's what I'm waiting for, and there is no doubt it will happen

I don’t know. Does that happen at gas pumps? Over 90 percent of charging is done at home.

Don't you remember the gas shortages during the 70's? Waiting in line for hours to get gas. Now, do that with EV's that take 30-60 minutes (or longer) to charge. There will be altercations.
If building charging stations keep up with the EV's being pushed on us it will be okay.
Yes, most charge their EV at home. What happens when people start taking long trips and there are not sufficient charging stations?
I'm not against EV's, I'm just being realistic.

I would imagine that market forces will continue to cause EV charge station growth. The last 10 years should be a good indicator of that. 5 years ago there were probably a dozen DCFC points in our province. Now there are hundreds.

In the 70’s I was in grade school sooooo

There will never be a need for as many EV chargers as there is gas stations. People charge at home.

The average charge stop is down around 20 minutes or less on the latest high speed chargers and the latest EV’s. Trucks probably a little longer as they would have bigger batteries. Charge speed has tripled in 10 years. I suspect it will do that again in another 10 years.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
gbopp wrote:
bgum wrote:

I don’t know. Does that happen at gas pumps? Over 90 percent of charging is done at home.

Don't you remember the gas shortages during the 70's? Waiting in line for hours to get gas. Now, do that with EV's that take 30-60 minutes (or longer) to charge. There will be altercations.
If building charging stations keep up with the EV's being pushed on us it will be okay.
Yes, most charge their EV at home. What happens when people start taking long trips and there are not sufficient charging stations?
I'm not against EV's, I'm just being realistic.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Lets just give up before even trying. No wonder the USA is behind in so many area's.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
gbopp wrote:
bgum wrote:

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Similar to fights over the gasoline pumps...all those Dorthys!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
I can see it now the dorks will be trying to figure out how to make it make noise and smoke. The price of playing cards and clothes pins will go up. The dorks offspring will be trying to find the catalytic converter and will finally just saw into the main power line. All of this while the fights are going on over the power pedestal.

lol, WHAT!?

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I can see it now the dorks will be trying to figure out how to make it make noise and smoke. The price of playing cards and clothes pins will go up. The dorks offspring will be trying to find the catalytic converter and will finally just saw into the main power line. All of this while the fights are going on over the power pedestal.