Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: LiFePO4 - SOK or Renogy.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> LiFePO4 - SOK or Renogy.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/21 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 has already gone past money concerns for owning both a Class C & TC.

Going to miss all the equalizing, desulfating, temp compensation, water checks and the rest when the GC2s are given up. So busy with voltages and algorithyms he was contemplating a BT adjustable converter. What will camping be without all this activity?

Don't get me wrong... BFL is a great guy that I give utmost respect. [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/21 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys. Camping up-Island now. Just amazing what is happening here. I thought this was over when I blocked him, and he was supposed to block me. Peace was to break out.

Whatever, I agree I have been posting too often. Will shorten in on that.

I do like to measure things. IMO, if somebody thinks my numbers are wrong, then peer review happens with other numbers and an explanation.

That is how we learn stuff.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/21 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“he was supposed to block me”

Huh?? Just curious but in interest of facts, where did you come up with that notion??

I get along fine with with just about anyone, but will cry foul when being gamed - that’s all...

3 tons

Olivaw

Calgary

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almot wrote:

Not looking for a big bank or high charge/discharge currents. Don't need charging below freezing. In Canada things become difficult/expensive.

Narrowed down to these 2:
1)SOK, 100AH, $CAD 975 +$5 S/H. Takes both series and parallel connections. Metal case, 4 plastic-looking cells inside, impressive looking BMS and wiring. Claims "replaceable BMS or cells" - and it is indeed possible to take apart and service only I have no idea where one could get those cells or BMS. Available at amazon.ca straight from China. 7 years warranty. Support reportedly exists. ***Link Removed***

2) Renogy, 100AH, $CAD 850, free S/H. Plastic case contains metal enclosure inside with many pouch cells, - so not much serviceable. Takes only parallel connections, but I don't need series anyway. This is a sale, Amazon have it at $CAD 1,200. 7 years warranty. Support exists and is spotty. Renogy make their own solar panels but I doubt they make batteries or electronics, must be a relabeled Chinese product: ***Link Removed***.

Importing Battleborn from the US at $CAD 1,200 + unknown S/H is out of my range. Assembled from Chinese cells like all others, though they do assembling work in the US. 10 years prorated warranty.

There is also Lifeblue at $CAD 975 + unknown S/H, maybe will look into those too - their BT monitoring is a nice feature. No idea what's inside. ***Link Removed***

Hi Almot,

I’m wondering if you made a decision and how it worked out.

I’ve been looking at the Renogy Smart Batteries but am discouraged by the terrible reviews of Renogy Canada. People on BBB and Trust Pilot say to avoid this company because the service is as bad as bad can be. That said, i am sooo tempted because I can drop in one or two batteries and use their $40 dedicated smart monitor to keep an eye on them.

SOK looks like a great battery. Their back orders should be caught up in June, Unfortunately, the unique shape of the batteries will not fit my battery compartment or this is the battery I would buy.

I can’t figure out Alberta Lithium. They resell an inexpensive rebranded Chinese battery. It’s impossible to know how good they are until someone does a tear down and review.

Canbat sells a rebranded battery too. The cost is higher. Folks on DIY Solar Forum say they are very responsive when you call. They sent a photo of the inside of the battery to a forum participant. It looks well made but a picture is not a tear down.

Canadian’s can buy Battle Born from Solacity $1193 + GST + unknown S/H. They also sell Enerwatt.

Battleborn and Renogy also sell heated batteries which use the charge current to warm the batteries prior to charging. They are quite new and there is an early adopter premium.

Anyway, curious how you made out.

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Olivaw wrote:

Hi Almot,

I’ve been looking at the Renogy Smart Batteries but am discouraged by the terrible reviews of Renogy Canada. People on BBB and Trust Pilot say to avoid this company because the service is as bad as bad can be.

The topic has drifted far, far away - as it often happens on this Tech Forum, which makes it more interesting.

But since you brought back my mundane initial quest for a gold nugget in the pile of Chinese, er... stuff [emoticon] - yes, I made a decision and bought Lynac Lithium as suggested by some member: https://www.lynaclithium.com/product/12-8v-100ah-true-series/.
Based on the reasonable price - it was $CAD 800 incl. shipping VS $980 SOC, and reportedly good service. I realize that this is another Chinese import. It has gone up to $880 now, often happens with camping stuff in spring. 120AH marketed as 100AH, you discharge it to 80% DOD (as preferred with LFP) and still get 100AH. Was delivered within a few weeks, so they keep a stock in Canada. When I asked seller one question after purchase, he responded same day.

How it worked out - we shall see. I've just posted my "experiment" with charging it off AC-DC regulated power supply, hopefully didn't kill it: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30236532.cfm

Olivaw

Calgary

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almot wrote:

Olivaw wrote:

Hi Almot,

I’ve been looking at the Renogy Smart Batteries but am discouraged by the terrible reviews of Renogy Canada. People on BBB and Trust Pilot say to avoid this company because the service is as bad as bad can be.

The topic has drifted far, far away - as it often happens on this Tech Forum, which makes it more interesting.

But since you brought back my mundane initial quest for a gold nugget in the pile of Chinese, er... stuff [emoticon] - yes, I made a decision and bought Lynac Lithium as suggested by some member:

Thanks. The Lynac 100AHs are out of stock right now. Preorders only. I subscribed to your testing thread to learn from your experience.

The fact that he answered your question immediately is a good sign.

My wife recently got a CPAP. We were going to power it off grid with a so-called solar generator but figure the money might be better spent upgrading the house battery in our rig.

phemens

Montreal, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/21 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Olivaw wrote:

Almot wrote:

Olivaw wrote:

Hi Almot,

But since you brought back my mundane initial quest for a gold nugget in the pile of Chinese, er... stuff [emoticon] - yes, I made a decision and bought Lynac Lithium as suggested by some member:

Thanks. The Lynac 100AHs are out of stock right now. Preorders only. I subscribed to your testing thread to learn from your experience.

My wife recently got a CPAP. We were going to power it off grid with a so-called solar generator but figure the money might be better spent upgrading the house battery in our rig.

I was the one to recommend them. I was their first RV customer 3 years ago and I've kept in touch with the owner on various questions during that time (plus a couple of additional batteries), he's always been very responsive and transparent. So far after 4 seasons the batteries are holding up well, no discernable loss of capacity or issues. If I were to do it all over again, I would probably build my own today, as there is much better reliable reference information available on the internet, and a plethora of reliable sources for the cells. Also much more comfortable with the technology and would know what to build for. All that being said, as a first time buyer I would repeat my purchase with them. With the battery bank we have and the solar, we don't worry at all about energy conservation - the inverter is always on, residential fridge runs 24/7 and we freely use TVs, CPAP, etc. without concern. That was exactly the use case I was aiming to meet and for us LiFePo4 was the right solution.

2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/21 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well it’s encouraging to know that in the ‘real-world’ LiFePO4’s batteries are proving their worthiness above the 50th parallel [emoticon]

3 tons

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/21 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phemens wrote:

Olivaw wrote:

Almot wrote:

Olivaw wrote:

Hi Almot,

I was the one to recommend them. I was their first RV customer 3 years ago and I've kept in touch with the owner on various questions during that time (plus a couple of additional batteries), he's always been very responsive and transparent. So far after 4 seasons the batteries are holding up well, no discernable loss of capacity or issues. If I were to do it all over again, I would probably build my own today, as there is much better reliable reference information available on the internet, and a plethora of reliable sources for the cells. Also much more comfortable with the technology and would know what to build for. All that being said, as a first time buyer I would repeat my purchase with them. With the battery bank we have and the solar, we don't worry at all about energy conservation - the inverter is always on, residential fridge runs 24/7 and we freely use TVs, CPAP, etc. without concern. That was exactly the use case I was aiming to meet and for us LiFePo4 was the right solution.
How much cheaper would it be to build your own? Roughly what would it cost to get the equivalent of 2 6v GC batteries say about 230 ah's?

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Olivaw wrote:

Many camping items have disappeared and/or prices jumped up in April-May.
Solar generator is an overpriced combo of Li battery and inverter, $CAD 1,400 for 1,000 WH. I paid $CAD 800 for 1,500 WH, i.e. 3 times cheaper per KWH. With a single 1,000-1,500WH battery you don't want a big inverter, nice 300-400W PSU inverter would cost less than $CAD 300 and I already had one.

It does take 200-300W solar to keep it topped up, but for a weekend with modest loads you just discharge battery down to zero and go home. (Actually down to DOD 20% in my case, since it's 120 AH marketed as 100 AH). What I particularly like is 30 lbs weight - much better than 70 lbs FLA or AGM of the same nominal capacity (not to mention 2 times less of usable charge).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> LiFePO4 - SOK or Renogy.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.