cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tennessee state parks

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Has anyone camped in a Tennessee state park? I've driven through them to check out the campgrounds but have not yet camped in any. What I have noticed is there seems to be no guard shacks at the entrance to the campgrounds. If you make a reservation how do you check in to go to your site? I have always been used to stopping at the guard shack and checking in before entering the campground.
9 REPLIES 9

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a reservation and dont see anyone/office is closed, go ahead and Camp! Otherwise, just stop in at the office and go from there. I have yet to get/need a reservation at a TN state park, but i tend to go when its not crowded.

(btw, Cove Lake SP mentioned above is an Outstanding birding park for those interested)

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, reserve and pay online and just go to your site. Procedure should be on the website. TN state parks are awesome.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
dhull wrote:
Been there. They pay people to put a paper tag on your number post that has your reservation dates so you just need to show up. No check in.

This.

Whether or not the host or a ranger stop by is highly variable.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
dhull -- X2. Generally, the campground host will do it. My experience with this has been in North Georgia campgrounds, both state and Corps of Engineers. I've only used private campgrounds in Tenn.

dhull
Explorer
Explorer
Been there. They pay people to put a paper tag on your number post that has your reservation dates so you just need to show up. No check in.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Each campground is different and COVID has changed the "norm" at most of the parks. We camped at Cove Lake SP, just north of Knoxville, back in October. A ranger was on duty when we arrived and checked us in at the station. The sign said that if the ranger was not available, to go on to your reserved site and the ranger would be by later to see if we needed anything.

If I were concerned, I would call the park you are interested in.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
The last time I camp at TN SP there was no check in, but the ranger came by to say a friendly hi a few times.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at a Tennessee park a month or so ago. There wasn't any confusion (for me) on getting settled in. I think the office was not open when I arrived, and I just went to my site and attempted to get myself not too far out of level and had a decent night's stay. I did stop by the office on the way out, but I think that was not strictly speaking necessary.

In general, for state parks in most any state these days, if you have a prepaid reservation and there's no guard shack or open office visible, you merely drive in and plonk yourself down in your reserved site and that's that. There were several state parks I stayed in recently where I never had any interaction with rangers or other state park employees (and the office, etc. did not appear to be opened at any time). A lot of these parks were operating on a reservation-only model, though it's often possible to make a call to the reservation center when you arrive and make one for that night.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed at Cumberland Mt last summer, yes you need a reservation. You check in at the office and there is no gate. A bit too crowded but still nice park overall
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper