cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires

herbert007
Explorer
Explorer
Any feedback on Rovello Roadx tires for 2006 Winnebego Voyage 31. I got a price of $2200 Cdn for 6 tires. We don't do a lot of miles. Thx
12 REPLIES 12

Bruce_Brown
^^^ OK, that makes a lot more sense. Heck we went 7, 8 or 9 years (can't remember, I'll have to check) on all 6 of our last set, but ours is also garage kept so they never see sun unless we're out - and they still were in good shape.

As far as blowouts, we had one blow out while parked in the garage, and I fixed the damage on my parents when they had an inner dual go. The damage wasn't pretty.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
You read me correctly , one tire ? Weโ€™re talking about changing all 8 tires not one !! I (have a tag axle) Besides New tires blow out also , changing them is no guarantee... and yes after more miles of commercial experience than youโ€™ll ever drive with a โ€œfewโ€ blowouts on company tires I stand by what I wrote .. yup Iโ€™ll change the fronts 6-7 years and โ€œwatchโ€ for a couple years ... ie really pretrip .. on my side with a flashlight he rears (Tread , sidewalls inside and out and between the duals) ... Iโ€™d guess something most motorhome drivers never really never do. Thereโ€™s a great chance those 6-7 or maybe 8 year old tires wonโ€™t blow and Iโ€™ll be money ahead. By 8-9 Iโ€™ll replace. In 20 years of that in my rvโ€™s Iโ€™ve had 0 blowouts. Have I have found a tire I wanted to replace on a pretrip ? Yes and I have but ... Hey! Iโ€™m already money ahead! Go figure !
Bill

Bruce_Brown
jorbill2or wrote:
As a former truck driver also Iโ€™ll change out my fronts and keep the rears on longer with an eye on them. Yes Any blown tire on a Fiberglass motorhome will probably cause damage. Other than the repair downtime Iโ€™m less concerned as my insurance ,less 500 bucks , will cover all of that.

So you'll chance the damage because you're insured? Your deductible is more than a new tire costs.

Oh well, your MH, your damage, your downtime.

Did I read that right???
Bruce & Jill Brown

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Missed a chunk of bouncing road debris with the steers last year, but it caught an inside dual. The body damage was minimal, but it took 21 waterproof splices and a new ground terminal to repair the ripped out wiring while working on the side of the road after the tire was changed. Fortunately, it was a wide shoulder and the damage was on the passenger side...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Goodyear did say their G670s were good for ten years, but backed off on that.
We replaced our rear G670s at 9 years. They were just as supple and soft as the day they were made, inside and out and I kicked myself, and no discernible wear of the treads. I had previously put Michelin steer axle tires with separation grooves at both edges,on the front because the G670s rivered on the steer axle.
The rubber itself was in great shape. Goodyear put a lot of UV fighting compounds i n the motor home specific G670s. The New Michelins rode great an one required ounce of weight and the other none n the fronts. we kept our Mh stored inside in climate controlled environment though. We recently sold it and after sitting in the sun in Az for over a year one of the front ale Michelins the dealer said had a small crack. I didn't see it. The Chinese tires at first anyway did not have much UV protection in their tires an that is one of the major killers of Mh tires which are not driven as much as Semis.
Dealers say they cannot resale a semi or MH tire after five years.
The G670s do last longer than Michelins! The Chinese tires I have no experience nor heard any factual accounts of the life of those tires. If yu buy them keep them covered when parked and tire pressure kept where it should be is the only way know to judge. The five year rule for Michelins yes unless stored indoors.
The G670s a lot longer life if maintained and kept clean and stored indoors.
Dirt and lime suck the oils out of tires. This is just my opinion and not warranty.

Cristian123
Explorer
Explorer
Well, industry advice is to change motorhome tires every 6 years. After this age, the rubber is less malleable, with a higher risk of tire sidewall/cracking and blowouts. And I follow it. Having worked on one project with the guys from https://www.topwritersreview.com/reviews/apstudynotes/, I read a lot of information about tires, including other people's opinions and feedback. Of course, the best brands are Goodyear, Bridgestone, and Michelin. Though I bought Maxxis M8008 ST tires two years ago. They are great and I'm please with the purchase. As for the Chinese tires, yes, most people don't trust them, but you know, the Chinese products might be of different quality.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
haste maker wrote:
Take this for just my out look...I know that tires are to be replaced when they are 6 to 7 years old...but if my tires don't show any sign of wear or cracking I will only replaced the front tires at that time...the rear tires are dual's & if one of them blows out I still have the other one to get to a safe stop...but if a front tire blows out you maybe headed for the ditch...reason for my way of thinking is 48 years of being a truck driver with no wrecks...and I am not selling tires for a living...

Maybe I just had bad luck but I had some Michelins experience sidewall separation followed shortly by explosions when they were seven years old. Due to separation being in the sidewall there was no warning. The tires came on a 1991 F250 so that was back in 1998. The truck was not used for daily driving and the tires still had half of their tread on them and looked beautiful. When I contacted Michelin they admitted that they had that happen quite a bit with RV's and since I hauled a camper with mine they lumped me into that category even though I told them that the truck was always stored empty or with a significant amount of the load on jacks. They then scolded me for not having changed the tires sooner while simultaneously refusing to tell me how I was supposed to know to do that.

Those were the last Michelin tires that I have owned and I refuse to buy any more, mostly because of their arrogance.

Anyway, the consequential damage was much more than the replacement cost so I keep an eye on the age of my tires now. The consequential damage on a motorhome can be much more than on a truck of any type.

Cincy_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
^^^ The problem with that is the damage that dual does when it blows. Want to ask me how I know? :B

^^Agree^^. Camping @ fairgrounds & a Class A gasser pulls in, sporting damage from a recent drive tire failure. In addition to removing all the wheelwell skirting, the explosion had blown through the adjoining storage bay, tearing off the floor panel & the door. The generator was temporarily secured w/ratchet straps.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a former truck driver also Iโ€™ll change out my fronts and keep the rears on longer with an eye on them. Yes Any blown tire on a Fiberglass motorhome will probably cause damage. Other than the repair downtime Iโ€™m less concerned as my insurance ,less 500 bucks , will cover all of that.
Bill

Bruce_Brown
^^^ The problem with that is the damage that dual does when it blows. Want to ask me how I know? :B
Bruce & Jill Brown

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take this for just my out look...I know that tires are to be replaced when they are 6 to 7 years old...but if my tires don't show any sign of wear or cracking I will only replaced the front tires at that time...the rear tires are dual's & if one of them blows out I still have the other one to get to a safe stop...but if a front tire blows out you maybe headed for the ditch...reason for my way of thinking is 48 years of being a truck driver with no wrecks...and I am not selling tires for a living...
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
A quick Google search, showed made in China. We all know the opinions here about tires made there.
I don't know what size tires that you have, but I was quoted $1800 for 6 Michelin's 225/70 R 16s.
Also is the $2200 an out the door (all inclusive) price. My 1800 was before installation/balancing, taxes and disposal fees. For me, it would have been closed to $2300 out the door for 16inch Michelin's.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.