cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS Furnace Problems

Kayli_s_Papa
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Atwood furnace installed in my Jayco Pinnacle 36 KPTS 5th wheel furnace Model # AFLD40121 40,000 BTU . The breaker on top of the case constantly trips necessitating me having to take apart the partition in the basement to reset it. When tripped the the furnace doesn't run. It then cycles 1 time and will trip again . I have had it to a repair shop and they said they replaced the breaker , ran it out the 5th wheel and couldn't find the problem. Suggestion was to look for collapsed ducting for the problem. I verified that the ducts are not the issue . Talked to Atwood technical support and the didn't have a answer.
I know this is not an isolated problem due to many YouTube subscribers identifying/discussing the same issue. I am aware that the location of the furnace generates greater than normal temperatures in the space.
Is there a fix or a known identifiable problem that I can be made aware of?
I'll look forward to any response Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Run furnace and while running take voltage readings on DC Supply and AMP draw on motor circuit...

That On/Off CB should be rated for 15A
Trips if motor draws more then 15A
**Motor failing, air wheels binding, low dc voltage....high amp draw
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Kayli_s_Papa
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the information. The repair shop stated that there is nothing wrong with the breaker/switch or the furnace its self. They went as far as to replace the breaker with no success. They stated amp draw is with in normal specs. As well as all the other components. That's what confuses me.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
The On/Off Switch is also a circuit breaker
On/Off function is so DC can be turned off locally when working on furnace

The circuit breaker is actually a re-settable heat sensitive device designed to protect the blower motor.
In a furnace, this heat evidences itself in the form of an amp draw.

The breakers used are externally mounted and are of a slow
blow style.
This means that due to their location on our furnaces, the heat
of the furnace cannot affect their operation.

Likewise, short amperage spikes will not cause them to trip either.

The motor will have to produce an excessive and prolonged amperage draw to trip it.
When a circuit breaker trips, it does so because a problem exists.

After resetting it, voltage and amperage draws should be taken to determine where the problem is.
These readings will determine if you have a power source, breaker or
motor problem.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31