cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jump box for dual battery 7.3 diesel

F-350shortBed
Explorer
Explorer
I started thinking about items I might need as a new RV’r, jump boxes came to mind. I’ve looked at a few video’s online of large diesels requiring higher amperage jump boxes when their batteries are dead. I’ve never owned a jump box and I know there are lots of new smaller lithium modules and old schools larger varieties.

Please give your choices and rationales.
29 REPLIES 29

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I didn’t check the voltage of them, but I have started v8s that had batteries that wouldn’t even cause a click. My older large model wouldn’t but the little lithium ion newer ones would.

I like the idea of carrying two if you are worried about how much power you have. They do suck the power down of the jump box with each start.

I also carry long battery cables that can reach my house battery bank, but only carry a single higher rated lithium type jump box for the truck. The combination will likely start my truck. The cables are probably twice as big as one jump box. 😄

I also carry a 12 gauge cable to jump start my generator that reaches the front truck battery. I started carrying that 15 years ago and have used it a few times. Cheap and easy to make. Very small, and I made it because my TC was at a storage lot with dead batteries. Of course, you can’t run electric jacks without power unless you want to manually move them with a drill or crank.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
It's a RARE occurrence that the starting batteries on the truck are truly flat dead. No booster pack is designed for that. No jumper cables are designed for that.

These ads where they show the booster pack miraculously starting the "dead" car, the car's battery is just marginal. It still has some capacity left, just not quite enough to turn the vehicle over. When you try these on flat dead batteries, they always fail.

Guess it depends on your definition of rare. Regardless, not sure what you mean they won't start a dead flat battery.
I tested out the little Lithium one I bought for my bike. It was only a small cheap $50 800-1000A one, unhooked the battery cable on my 5.3 Chevy, cold engine, hadn't been run that day and it lit jump started it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
It's a RARE occurrence that the starting batteries on the truck are truly flat dead. No booster pack is designed for that. No jumper cables are designed for that..

My #2 jump cables do that just fine, but did not try it on big diesel.
Than as I mention- 2 of mid-size booster packs started big diesel with completely flat batteries.
But you should avoid such procedure on modern vehicles as low voltage operation can not only fry some expensive modules, but flat batteries can burn alternator at the end.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's a RARE occurrence that the starting batteries on the truck are truly flat dead. No booster pack is designed for that. No jumper cables are designed for that.

These ads where they show the booster pack miraculously starting the "dead" car, the car's battery is just marginal. It still has some capacity left, just not quite enough to turn the vehicle over. When you try these on flat dead batteries, they always fail.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
RoyF wrote:
Should camper batteries be used for engine starting? I have understood that deep-cycle batteries are not designed to deliver that kind of high amperage. Would engine starting harm camper batteries, or not?

When the alternative is standing there with your thumb firmly inserted somewhere in your body, stranded, does it really matter?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Rscconrad wrote:
I have a 7.3. My solution was not a jump box but a cheap light 1000 watt generator and small battery charger.

Both come in handy at times

The 1000W inverter generator was 3rd addition to my generators family.
When a member posted $150 sale at HD, I simply could not refuse the buy.
At 20lb weight, I take it as backup on all camping or boating trips.
Used it couple of times at home when wind knocked power lines.

Bedlam
With my on-board generator, I use a battery charger/booster to jump a vehicle. If the camper batteries are too weak to start the generator, I use jumper cables from the truck to camper. I have not had a case where both banks were dead at the same time because I have isolation between them.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Rscconrad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 7.3. My solution was not a jump box but a cheap light 1000 watt generator and small battery charger.

Both come in handy at times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
zb39 wrote:
I have jumped my own vehicle with house batteries and a good pair of jumper cables. No issues.
I believe most motorhomes have button to push to boost the start battery with the house. Common, ordinary and normal.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I have jumped my own vehicle with house batteries and a good pair of jumper cables. No issues.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

timdan94
Explorer
Explorer
I use the JNC 770B and it jumped my 6.6 duramax with no issues when It was below zero. I had one battery that was bad.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
For using my trailer batteries it would be with jump cables not a battery swap.

Try that out. If you have dead truck batteries, it is doubtful a set of jumper cables from a single deep cycle battery would light it off. And that's IF the truck happens to go dead within reach of the camper battery or you can bring the battery to the truck. Maaaybe, both deep cycles and 2 jumper cables. But again, it's a last ditch effort, IMO and not a universal solution.

I mean, batteries don't usually die in the most opportune setting.
But, with a few options for different situations on board, you could reasonably cover most all scenarios. With RV batteries being one less certain possibility depending on the situation.
Of course jump packs aren't a 100% certainty either. It's situational. Best defense is a good offense and eliminate as many potential reasons that you'd have dead batteries in the fist place.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I carry the NOCO GB70. Have not used it.

I would have no issue using my trailer deep cycle batteries to jump start a vehicle.

Except pulling and re-installing 4 batteries twice is at best an inconvenience. At worst impossible either due to ability or battery fitment.
And depends on conditions. Cold weather, may take both batteries (especially in a 7.3 Powerstroke. Those things are cold blooded). Warm weather, 1 good battery will light off a diesel pickup no problem.
Using camper batteries imo is a last resort type of thing, if they even work.

For the “I bought _____ booster. It should start my rig, haven’t tried it though” folks.
If you’re actually concerned about getting your vehicle started at an in opportune moment, unhooking the battery(s) and testing the jump pack is super easy.
For using my trailer batteries it would be with jump cables not a battery swap.

The booster is not just for my use but anyone else that shows a need. Might be a buddy at work or a motorist at the grocery.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I carry the NOCO GB70. Have not used it.

I would have no issue using my trailer deep cycle batteries to jump start a vehicle.

Except pulling and re-installing 4 batteries twice is at best an inconvenience. At worst impossible either due to ability or battery fitment.
And depends on conditions. Cold weather, may take both batteries (especially in a 7.3 Powerstroke. Those things are cold blooded). Warm weather, 1 good battery will light off a diesel pickup no problem.
Using camper batteries imo is a last resort type of thing, if they even work.

For the “I bought _____ booster. It should start my rig, haven’t tried it though” folks.
If you’re actually concerned about getting your vehicle started at an in opportune moment, unhooking the battery(s) and testing the jump pack is super easy.

The 2 regular AGM's in my truck are 1000 cca each the 2 lifelines in my camper are rated at 880 each and the posts are the same so they should to the trick in a pinch
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags