cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rivian Electric half ton winter testing. Interesting read.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
For the Rivian electric half ton bunch. Interesting read on winter testing.

https://electrek.co/2021/02/27/rivian-tests-r1t-electric-pickup-in-sub-zero-temperatures/
5 REPLIES 5

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lynnmor wrote:
Winter testing should include a constant salt bath like the roads on New England. That salt brine will creep into most anything and must be considered especially with the high operating and charging voltages.

Right?

“Did my car die because it was too cold for the batteries or does the battery bank look like a science experiment with crystals?”
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Lynnmor wrote:
Winter testing should include a constant salt bath like the roads on New England. That salt brine will creep into most anything and must be considered especially with the high operating and charging voltages.

Yah good point. I wonder if any of the EV manufacturers do that. We just went through a nasty winter with ours but with Covid we have been doing less miles. Still I’ve been spraying it down at the hand wash on above freezing days. More sand than salt here though.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Interesting, yes.
Lack of specifics on how much power is consumed keeping the batteries up is,well, not very forthcoming. Or it’s early enough in the testing phases and the results weren’t good enough to be published?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Article was interesting. TY for posting.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad